Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    Well you can't beat the price and hours of operation! I also think it's a great place for beginners in particular. You don't feel like you're in a competition and people are not walking around kissing their muscles. lol

never seen that happen in any gym I have been to...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

never seen the bolded part at any gym I have been too ...sounds like you have been drinking the planet no gains kool aid...

You're not listening to much then. And if you're thinking i'm 100% dead serious I'd like to introduce you to sarcasm.

Picture on the top left is June of 2014, picture on the bottom right is June of 2015. And I could really care less about "bulking up" I have no interest in bulking. Fitness comes in many different shapes, fashions and forms.
    rbicq3nvdk6p.jpg

Hmmm I don't understand sarcasm, but when I use it you don't understand it...? Interesting..

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been a Planet Fitness member for the past two years. I've lost a ton of weight and toned a ton of muscle by working there. You're going to get a lot of hate because 1) They don't have personal trainers 2) They do have "snack days" 3) You're not allowed to throw weights around and yell like a Primate/Neanderthal then you drop your weights.

You're not allowed to do traditional weight training at all...like movements that are generally the back bone and foundation of any well programmed lifting routine. And some lifts require dropping weight...a clean for example or a snatch...you drop the weight on those lifts when they're heavy or you'll rip your shoulders out.

This is my problem with PF...doing something very traditional and functional from a training standpoint is seen as neanderthal behavior...but yeah...PF don't judge...not one bit.

Effing joke!

For me it works. Everyone is different. Three years ago I broke my left arms Radius Bone. Shattered in a few places and I went from not being able to open a sugar packet at the time I started PT, to butterflying 175 pound, and benching roughly 120 pounds. Now granted i know those numbers are that high for some. But it's helped me get to where I am today. I focus more on my running and cycling. But I understand that resistance training is required and warranted. And they allow me to do that during the colder months when I go indoors. Once again I was being sarcastic on the "Primate/Neanderthal" comment, That's why i said
    And if the desk hand makes the alarm go off for that then they really do not understand how lifting works. As far as throwing weights around once again if you're lifting slightly above your threshold it's going to be undestood that you're going to drop/aggressively put down the weights after a few sets.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been a Planet Fitness member for the past two years. I've lost a ton of weight and toned a ton of muscle by working there. You're going to get a lot of hate because 1) They don't have personal trainers 2) They do have "snack days" 3) You're not allowed to throw weights around and yell like a Primate/Neanderthal then you drop your weights.

You're not allowed to do traditional weight training at all...like movements that are generally the back bone and foundation of any well programmed lifting routine. And some lifts require dropping weight...a clean for example or a snatch...you drop the weight on those lifts when they're heavy or you'll rip your shoulders out.

This is my problem with PF...doing something very traditional and functional from a training standpoint is seen as neanderthal behavior...but yeah...PF don't judge...not one bit.

Effing joke!

For me it works. Everyone is different. Three years ago I broke my left arms Radius Bone. Shattered in a few places and I went from not being able to open a sugar packet at the time I started PT, to butterflying 175 pound, and benching roughly 120 pounds. Now granted i know those numbers are that high for some. But it's helped me get to where I am today. I focus more on my running and cycling. But I understand that resistance training is required and warranted. And they allow me to do that during the colder months when I go indoors. Once again I was being sarcastic on the "Primate/Neanderthal" comment, That's why i said
    And if the desk hand makes the alarm go off for that then they really do not understand how lifting works. As far as throwing weights around once again if you're lifting slightly above your threshold it's going to be undestood that you're going to drop/aggressively put down the weights after a few sets.

I would agree which is why I said in my original post that it depends on what you want out of a gym...and maybe you were being sarcastic, but that's also basically the company line...

I'm a cyclist and I go to a gym that caters primarily to cyclists of various disciplines. The owner and my coach and very good friend is one of the team USA BMX coaches and he's also a USAC road coach...everything he has us do in the gym is centered around Olympic lifts and other traditional compound movements...so we're just a bunch of BMX and road and dirt bike riding "lunks" up in there...that's what is so irritating...the notion that if one is lifting in this manner, one is a "lunk"...no...we're just really into our training and want to be the best athletes (in my case I use the term loosely) we can be. Lifting like a boss isn't always about body building..as a cyclist I'm about 180* from a body builder...lifting like a boss is about functional training and being all you can possibly be.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've got issues with Planet Fitness as a company, but as a gym, if it fits your needs, go for it.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    If it helps a group of people who would not otherwise be helped, it's good.
    Even if it means telling people that bodybuilders and other athletes are horrible people? Even if it means telling the public (incorrectly) that deadlifts and other highly functional moves are only to be performed by such detestable human beings?

Somehow, I doubt that PF would get a pass if they were to discriminate against the overweight in that manner. Middle America would be in an uproar. PF demeans highly accomplished athletes instead though, and so the people around here applaud their tactics. Something is wrong with that.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    While bashing weight lifters may irk some people, if you are PF's target market -- usually a relative newbie who is more about movement & doing something as you lurch off the couch maybe for the 1st time, like me -- it's a good place because you feel accepted.
    What if the tables were turned, though? what if they were to bash the overweight instead? Or the elderly? Or women? If that were to make other people feel accepted, would this still be a good thing?
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ...that's what is so irritating...the notion that if one is lifting in this manner, one is a "lunk"...no...we're just really into our training and want to be the best athletes (in my case I use the term loosely) we can be. Lifting like a boss isn't always about body building..as a cyclist I'm about 180* from a body builder...lifting like a boss is about functional training and being all you can possibly be.

Correct. This is yet another problem with PF. It's not just that they demean hard-working bodybuilders. It's also that they foster incorrect notions of what weight lifting and other intense exercise is all about.

When I took a tour of Planet Fitness, I asked my guide why they didn't have any bench press stations or squat racks. He immediately said, "Those are for bodybuilders. We don't cater to those kind of people." I thought that was a deeply shameful thing to say, since virtually everyone can benefit from those kinds of exercises. Heck, even high school students are taught how to do such exercises! People in the fitness industry should know better.

This is why I disagree when people say that Planet Fitness is just right for beginners. The equipment might arguably match what most beginners are looking for, but the amount of misinformation that this company spreads is astounding. That's not what beginners need.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    All that stuff about the loud grunts and throwing weights down being forbidden, I could care less. That was never a factor in our decision to sign up. We just needed to get our sweat on after midnight due to work hours with a good price. Planet Fitness fit the bill perfectly. People will continue to make fun of PF and their philosophies because they aren't fans of the huge guys staring at themselves in the mirror the whole time they're lifting huge amounts of weights. There are gyms of all kinds. Salon.com had an article online about it before and talking about how different gyms are like cliques in school. Don't know the link offhand but compared them (typically) to members of the Breakfast Club. It was pretty funny. If you're really into weights and love your slamming and grunting, PF isn't the gym for you but there is one out there for you. If you want to sweat away your fat on as many cardio machines as possible, come over to Planet Fitness. Disclaimer: If the lunk alarm goes off when you're on a treadmill, you might get tested for roids.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »

While bashing weight lifters may irk some people, if you are PF's target market -- usually a relative newbie who is more about movement & doing something as you lurch off the couch maybe for the 1st time, like me -- it's a good place because you feel accepted.

No it is not ok to bash anyone to make other groups feel better

Nor to feel accepted because other groups aren't

I'm sure if you think about what you said you will realise and accept that theoretically that premise is simply abhorrent

• Varamyr38
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Even if it means telling people that bodybuilders and other athletes are horrible people? Even if it means telling the public (incorrectly) that deadlifts and other highly functional moves are only to be performed by such detestable human beings?

Somehow, I doubt that PF would get a pass if they were to discriminate against the overweight in that manner. Middle America would be in an uproar. PF demeans highly accomplished athletes instead though, and so the people around here applaud their tactics. Something is wrong with that.

Lunks are just the people that are throwing the weights around and screaming and grunting the whole time during their workout. How could that not intimidate somebody? If you're just lifting weights and not slamming the weights back down while being respectful to others around you, I see no problem. That wouldn't be lunking at all.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Varamyr38 wrote: »
    If you're really into weights and love your slamming and grunting, PF isn't the gym for you but there is one out there for you.
    Remember how I said that PF likes to spread a lot of falsehoods? This is another example of that.

In almost every gym I've been to, deliberately slamming the weights is forbidden. It's also considered horrible etiquette. PF likes to tell people that this is commonplace though, and that their facilities provide a unique refuge from such mythical beasts.

As for grunting, any fitness pro should be able to tell you that moderate grunting is reasonable and expected when working hard. Did you ever wonder why martial artists let out a "Ki-yaa!" yell as they strike? PF wants people to believe that the same moves can be performed equally as well in complete silence, and that's complete bunk. (See http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592 to see the extremes to which PF takes this.)

Of course, yelling at the top of one's lungs is another matter. Again, such behavior is universally considered to be horrible gym etiquette. Mere grunting though? It's to be expected.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Lunks are just the people that are throwing the weights around and screaming and grunting the whole time during their workout. How could that not intimidate somebody? If you're just lifting weights and not slamming the weights back down while being respectful to others around you, I see no problem. That wouldn't be lunking at all.

So all bodybuilders are "insert derogatory term"

And a standard involuntary sound associated with physical effort, which most people don't make but you hear in all sports (see tennis for eg) is an issue?

And just because you don't understand safe release for some lifts, to avoid injury, then that just means you (as in one not personal) are ignorant of details

It's hateful marketing

Nobody is saying that PF shouldn't provide the facilities at the cost to the target audience they do ..,but discriminatory marketing practice and promoting hatred and misunderstandings is grotesque manipulation of people's fear of the Unknown ..there are far more serious issues in the world ...still doesn't make it ok
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    The question must be asked though. How loud does a grunt have to be to have the lunk alarm go off? The PF gym I went to last night seemed pretty lax. Could have been because it was after midnight but I saw a few girls in there with tanktops that are supposed to be forbidden. Not complaining of course. I'm sure just normal grunting would be permitted. For people that just want a gym to lift weights at, PF isn't for you. That message is never hidden. Everybody should do their research before signing a contract to a gym or anything else for that matter.
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    So all bodybuilders are "insert derogatory term"

Bodybuilders don't need to slam the weights down. If you truly are really strong, you would get an even better workout lowering the weight more slowly to the ground instead of dropping it from six feet in the air. I was only giving a definition of what they deem as lunks...lunkers...whatever the correct usage is.

• spartan_d
    Options
    The question must be asked though. How loud does a grunt have to be to have the lunk alarm go off?
    Did you watch the video that I linked to in two of my earlier posts? Not very loud at all.

Enforcement will doubtlessly vary from one location to another, but according to the executive in this video, even moderate exhalation should be enough to set off the alarm.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    Well you can't beat the price and hours of operation! I also think it's a great place for beginners in particular. You don't feel like you're in a competition and people are not walking around kissing their muscles. lol

I've had the opportunity to work out in 2 gyms that make most top 10 lists of the most hard core gyms in the US. I'm old and in decent shape but not huge by any means. I did t feel like I was in a competition and didn't see anyone kissing theit muscles.

Intimidation is in people's heads and pf is fueling this with their advertising imo.