High fat low carb

Options
Does anyone here practice the high fat low carb way of eating?

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    AbbyGary wrote: »
    I do (since June 29). Already lost 4 pounds and feel so much better.

Nice! I've been flirting with the idea but haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • AbbyGary
    AbbyGary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

It was a big leap for me (I'm a carbaholic). But I needed to do something to help my blood sugar levels and lose some weight
  • DebSozo
    Options

It was a big leap for me (I'm a carbaholic). But I needed to do something to help my blood sugar levels and lose some weight

I'm carb sensitive too and am fairly sure that my fat is locked up due to insulin resistance. Plus I struggle with the double whammy of release of cortisol and stress hormones from insomnia and caretaking a special needs son. But I am worried if LCHF doesn't work for me that I will never get rid of the last 10 stubborn fat pounds that won't budge. Ugh. I've tried HCLF and plateaued. I've tried upping my protein but my body adapted to that as well. I hate the idea if giving up more % carbs, but I went low glycemic and lost a few and plateaued on that also.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine does it, he eats almost no carbs (like 10g/day), but allows himself all the protein and fats he can handle. he looks incredible. He will tell you, as a warning, that you cannot cheat very much if you eat this way. He gives himself 1-2 cheat meals a week, but outside of those, I've never seen him touch white food. he goes so far as to bring his own no carb noodles into vietnamese restaurants to put in the pho.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just started this week.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't do LCHF, just low carb. I haven't eaten carbs for seven weeks and have lost 30 pounds and feel awesome. I don't cheat ever, so I can't speak to that. I do have some fruit 3-4 days a week. I eat cheese and mayo and sauté veggies in butter, but don't go out of my way to eat fat. My knee joint was always aching, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore and my colitis that I've dealt with for about 12 years is gone. I feel 10 years younger. I recommend this way of eating to anyone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily group is your best bet for support an accurate information. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    fat is locked up due to insulin resistance.

Insulin Resistance defined -
    A resistance to the hormone insulin, resulting in increasing blood sugar.

It doesn't cause fat retention. Obesity, genetics, and some medical conditions can cause insulin resistance. Continued insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes.

This link explains it well.
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/insulin-resistance-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

I have pcos, family history, and had a poor diet and lack of exercise for 15 years that lead to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis for me. Not trying to call anyone out, just attempting to correct misinformation.
  • katrxgator
    katrxgator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    95 lbs lost with LCHF.....so happy I found this woe!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    What is "woe"?
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Way of eating? :)
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »

It doesn't cause fat retention. Obesity, genetics, and some medical conditions can cause insulin resistance. Continued insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/insulin-resistance-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

I have pcos, family history, and had a poor diet and lack of exercise for 15 years that lead to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis for me. Not trying to call anyone out, just attempting to correct misinformation.

I have read that insulin makes it more difficult to lose fat.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

It can make it a bit harder. A simpler solution is to reduce your insulin levels with low carb and moderate protein. That can help.

I gained weight after becoming insulin resistance. For me, there is something to that.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

nvmomketo wrote: »

It can make it a bit harder. A simpler solution is to reduce your insulin levels with low carb and moderate protein. That can help.

I gained weight after becoming insulin resistance. For me, there is something to that.

I do think that it is working against me and am hoping low carb will help.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I do think that it is working against me and am hoping low carb will help.

It helped me. Good luck! :)
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I was a HUGE carbaholic!!!! Lchf has helped me in so many ways and I'm not a slave to my food! No longer dragging through my workouts or my day for that matter and the food is satisfying! I def eat carbs one time a week because life happens and I don't think deprivation helps a person stick to any program...this has been the best way of eating
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

There is some association with lower metabolic rates with IR and PCOS. Based on that, it can make it harder to hit a deficit.

The low carb group is great for getting you set up.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i recently started because i am pregnant, overweight, and need to watch carbs while pregnant.