Do you weigh all prepackaged food?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
Like every single thing? I don't weigh rice cakes, or granola bars, or ice cream bars. I mean, I do sometimes but usually I can't be bothered. The few times that I have, it was either a few grams under or a few (no more than 5) grams over. Nothing that would really make a difference. Machines in factories make them similar sizes so I don't think it's necessary for most things. I'm just wondering if you weigh everything that's prepackaged, and if you weigh some things what are they?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I weigh bread slices (they can vary), protein bars (can weigh more than the package states), eggs (without the shell, they vary in weight in one single package). The more calorie dense the food is, the more variation in calories there is, so I make it a habit to weigh everything. If your calorie deficit is small (lose .5lbs per week) it is a very good idea to weigh everything so you know that you're in a deficit since a 250cal deficit is easy to wipe out.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I weigh some prepackaged food. I eat a lot of the same things regularly so I get a feel for how consistent they are in serving sizes. If it comes in a container, I record that container weight so that I can subtract it and get the actual food weight.

Lean Cuisines I weigh if they feel heavy because they seem to be hand assembled. They sometimes weigh up to 1.2 times what the nutritional info says they should, usually due to (what appears to be) more rice than normal. I even have a food entry in My Foods for "extra Lean Cuisine rice" to add to meals. Sometimes the extra food seems pretty even (with extra everything) so I just enter it as 1.1 (or whatever) servings of the whole meal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    98% of it (I don't weigh it if I'm not at home). I've had protein/meal bars weigh up to 15 grams more than they should (which is typically about 50 extra calories) and it's pretty rare that I get one that weighs what it should or under what it should. Bread slices typically come out to more than a serving (at least the stuff I get) and it's rare to get them to be close to a serving (usually an extra 10 grams or so). My deficit is small when trying to lose, so stuff can quickly wipe out my deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. Maybe I should but I don't usually.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yes. Unless I am away from home.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'd guess I weight 90%. I don't weigh eggs. I occasionally weigh individual yogurt cups. Those types of things I feel will balance out. Granola bars, rice cakes, sliced cheese, candy, and chips can be too far off the single package serving. I've had slices of cheese weighing 30 grams when a serving slice is labeled 25 grams.

Some people don't care to weigh every thing and go with it all balancing out. Some weigh every thing. Some weigh most things. Whatever works for you.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything when I'm at home. Even five grams here and there can add up. I suppose it depends on what goals you have. This is what I was thinking too..
    If your calorie deficit is small (lose .5lbs per week) it is a very good idea to weigh everything so you know that you're in a deficit since a 250cal deficit is easy to wipe out.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I should, but no.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm not eating the whole pack. It hasn't affected my weight loss so can't be that much off.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything I eat at home. Individual yogurt tubs and eggs are the main exceptions

Just this week, a piece of bread I weighed was 38 grams. The serving size is for 26 grams.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ice cream bars and yogurt cups, no. The rest, usually yes, unless I ate out a couple times that week and had to estimate anyway, then I just won't bother for a few calories... but there are things that I ALWAYS weigh, like Graze snacks and English muffins, or some brand of waffles, as they can be up to 60 calories off...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nope. Nothing prepackaged in an individual serving. If i was working with a tiny defecit i would though
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    Like every single thing? I don't weigh rice cakes, or granola bars, or ice cream bars. I mean, I do sometimes but usually I can't be bothered. The few times that I have, it was either a few grams under or a few (no more than 5) grams over. Nothing that would really make a difference. Machines in factories make them similar sizes so I don't think it's necessary for most things. I'm just wondering if you weigh everything that's prepackaged, and if you weigh some things what are they?

Hi
    I do weigh some things, If You are considering Rice cakes that usually come in a multi pack than Yes I weigh my Frozen vegetables for example. I weigh my Cereals for example. Anything that has both a weight and size listed for the servings then I find that weight is more accurate.

Good Luck
    Roger
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'd guess I weight 90%. I don't weigh eggs. I occasionally weigh individual yogurt cups. Those types of things I feel will balance out. Granola bars, rice cakes, sliced cheese, candy, and chips can be too far off the single package serving. I've had slices of cheese weighing 30 grams when a serving slice is labeled 25 grams.

Some people don't care to weigh every thing and go with it all balancing out. Some weigh every thing. Some weigh most things. Whatever works for you.

The thing to remember is that the foods we buy that are prepackaged must be at least the stated amount. For example the 12 ounces of sliced cheese package has to be at least 12 ounces, it can be higher but not lower or they can end up in trouble with the state weights and measures people and they would rather err on the high side and not have the bad publicity and fines that can happen otherwise.

Have a Nice Weekend
    Roger
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not weight slices of cheese, pre-cut slices of bread, granola bars, yogurt cups, ice cream bars, chocolate bars, or eggs. I can deal with a few grams of this items being off. I do weigh my prepackaged protein bars. For some reason these are off by enough to matter since they are so calorie dense.

I actually weight everything else.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Like others, not at this point. I lose as expected so my logging is fine. I do have a little buffer in my daily goal though and if I stopped losing for an extended period of time I might start.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the most common item I see people mention as being off is protein bars and they are all in the US too. I don't eat them so I'm all good on that front!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You mean single serving packages? No. The variances are insignificant and, in any event, will average out over time.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Single serving packages, nope. That's a little too OCD for me.

But packages that state something like "One chicken breast" - yes, those vary way to much to trust the packaging.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Bread slices, eggs, English muffins, tortillas, and many other things. . . yes. Except for maybe the eggs, I haven't had a single one of those items not weigh more than the serving size in months. And when something's serving size comes out as say 76g when it's listed as 63g, the extra calories can add up quickly if you aren't paying attention.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No, I was not necessary for me. I guess I had a large enough deficit that it didn't matter but I never bothered with it.