Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Varamyr38 wrote: »
    The question must be asked though. How loud does a grunt have to be to have the lunk alarm go off?
    Did you watch the video that I linked to in two of my earlier posts? Not very loud at all.

Enforcement will doubtlessly vary from one location to another, but according to the executive in this video, even moderate exhalation should be enough to set off the alarm.

Yeah it would have to vary from locale to locale since they're all independently owned. Maybe they should have just called it Planet Cardio and people wouldn't be whining so much.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So all bodybuilders are "insert derogatory term"

Bodybuilders don't need to slam the weights down.
    ONCE AGAIN though, there's a difference between dropping weights (as is often necessary) and deliberately slamming them down. We can all agree that slamming them down forcefully is rude. PF's policy, however, is that one cannot even drop the weights -- not even for the sake of safety, such as when exhausted after a dumbbell chest fly set. The result? People will be forced to work out with less effort, lest they run afoul of this rule.

And actually, their policy goes way beyond even that. A friend of mine was kicked out just for doing renegade rows -- a horribly simple move in which the dumbbells are picked up off the ground. I've met people who were either kicked out or scolded for such horrible offenses as:
    • Doing overhead presses
    • Jumping rope
    • Running "too fast" on the treadmill (i.e. at a speed that might intimidate other people)
    ... and so forth.
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    Well you can't beat the price and hours of operation! I also think it's a great place for beginners in particular. You don't feel like you're in a competition and people are not walking around kissing their muscles. lol

I've had the opportunity to work out in 2 gyms that make most top 10 most hard core gyms in the US. I'm old and in decent shape but not huge by any means. I did t feel like I was in a competition and didn't see anyone kissing theit muscles.

Intimidation is in people's heads and pf is fueling this with their advertising imo.

Where do you think people got those intimidation thoughts though? Probably from a gym they frequented when they were younger and had a really bad experience. I've never had bad gym experiences but I could understand. Doing curls and stuff in other gyms the guys are always looking at their muscles the whole time they're lifting and comparing themselves to the person next to them. Gymtimidation does exist even if it specifically hasn't happened to you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For me it boils down to the fact that if I have to buy into hatred and the belittling of others as a group in order to join somewhere and feel better about myself then my moral centre says no

Bodybuilders don't need to slam the weights down. If you truly are really strong, you would get an even better workout lowering the weight more slowly to the ground instead of dropping it from six feet in the air. I was only giving a definition of what they deem as lunks...lunkers...whatever the correct usage is.

• spartan_d
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well you can't beat the price and hours of operation! I also think it's a great place for beginners in particular. You don't feel like you're in a competition and people are not walking around kissing their muscles. lol

I've had the opportunity to work out in 2 gyms that make most top 10 most hard core gyms in the US. I'm old and in decent shape but not huge by any means. I did t feel like I was in a competition and didn't see anyone kissing theit muscles.

Intimidation is in people's heads and pf is fueling this with their advertising imo.

Where do you think people got those intimidation? Probably from a gym they frequented when they were younger and had a really bad experience.
    Or, more likely, from preconceived notions -- or because Planet Fitness tells them that's what they should expect. That's pretty much the focus of their TV commercials, for example.

All the more reason to deplore their tactics.
  • Varamyr38
    Options

ONCE AGAIN though, there's a difference between dropping weights (as is often necessary) and deliberately slamming them down. We can all agree that slamming them down forcefully is rude. PF's policy, however, is that one cannot even drop the weights -- not even for the sake of safety, such as when exhausted after a dumbbell chest fly set. The result? People will be forced to work out with less effort, lest they run afoul of this rule.

And actually, their policy goes way beyond even that. A friend of mine was kicked out just for doing renegade rows -- a horribly simple move in which the dumbbells are picked up off the ground. I've met people who were either kicked out or scolded for such horrible offenses as:
    • Doing overhead presses
    • Jumping rope
    • Running "too fast" on the treadmill (i.e. at a speed that might intimidate other people)
    ... and so forth.

I havent even looked around everywhere in the gym. I am tonight though. Do they even have free weights? If so, are there mats to set the weights back down on after lifting. If there aren't any, you could easily see why overhead presses aren't allowed. You drop them and the weights could be damaged rather quickly. I know jumping rope has been banned. Havent been much into jumping rope since I was 10 though so not a big loss. Not sure what too fast is though. Completely subjective. I'd never get accosted for that anyways. I stay just walking around 3.0 mph the whole time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

never seen the bolded part at any gym I have been too ...sounds like you have been drinking the planet no gains kool aid...

You're not listening to much then. And if you're thinking i'm 100% dead serious I'd like to introduce you to sarcasm.

Picture on the top left is June of 2014, picture on the bottom right is June of 2015. And I could really care less about "bulking up" I have no interest in bulking. Fitness comes in many different shapes, fashions and forms.
    rbicq3nvdk6p.jpg

What does bulking have to do with anything?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Where do you think people got those intimidation thoughts though? Probably from a gym they frequented when they were younger and had a really bad experience. I've never had bad gym experiences but I could understand. Doing curls and stuff in other gyms the guys are always looking at their muscles the whole time they're lifting and comparing themselves to the person next to them. Gymtimidation does exist even if it specifically hasn't happened to you.

Or people get the idea from pf marketing whivh is very effective.

Face it gymtimidation wasn't a word until some advertising guy or girl made it up for pf commercials.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know what I think if I see an unfit or fat person working out in my very mixed gym where there is a free weights section, dedicated bodybuilders and a mixture of ages

Generally Not a single thing. They do not register because I'm there to workout! On the odd occasion I do notice someone else I generally think "good for them, takes a feck of a lot of effort to move that amount of mass...built in resistance..hope they stick at it "

You know what I felt when I started at the gym and I was a fat person...exposed and out of place...lasted for a couple of sessions and then I got over myself...because it's insecurity.

Gyms are inclusive places for self improvement
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    People make up words all the time. Instead of saying gym intimidation which people understood, they called it gymtimidation instead. Doesn't take a marketing genius to come up with that. If gymtimidation wasn't really happening, everybody would call bs on it from the beginning but, instead, the opposite is happening and PF is growing bigger every day.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    People make up words all the time. Instead of saying gym intimidation which people understood, they called it gymtimidation instead. Doesn't take a marketing genius to come up with that. If gymtimidation wasn't really happening, everybody would call bs on it from the beginning but, instead, the opposite is happening and PF is growing bigger every day.

Sorry, the job of advertising is to create a need. Sometimes where one doesn't exist.

If you like pf, more power to you I'm guessing it will be a future case study at university marketing classes if not already
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    Yep. It works for me. Not for everybody. It's a good beginning gym for those getting back in the game and just looking to lose fat. Once you lose that weight and want to start toning up and lifting, probably have to move on. That won't be a couple years down the line for us I think. They're trying to reach the 85% that don't work out instead of the 15% that do. The model is definitely working for them.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Not my cup of tea. Knock yourself out.
  • dlr96
    dlr96 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness in mass has everything I need
  • spartan_d
    Options

• Doing overhead presses
    • Jumping rope
    ... and so forth.

I havent even looked around everywhere in the gym. I am tonight though. Do they even have free weights? If so, are there mats to set the weights back down on after lifting. If there aren't any, you could easily see why overhead presses aren't allowed.

That is complete nonsense. Overhead presses do NOT require dropping weights, so that reasoning makes no sense. In fact, if damage to the weights were a concern, you'd see a whole lot more gyms prohibiting this exercise.... but you don't.

But for the sake of argument, let's grant your objection. What about jumping rope? Is jumping rope really so dangerous that it must be prohibited lest someone be horribly injured? Or running fast on the treadmill? Or doing renegade rows, for pity's sake?

No, these exercises are prohibited because some people MIGHT find them intimidating. PF insults its clientele by treating them as delicate flowers who must be shielded from the sight of exercises that could possibly make them feel a little bit bad about themselves. They treat their members as fragile children rather than full-grown adults.

For pity's sake, you can even be kicked out just for wearing a shirt that says "Pray to end abortion." That is how far they are wiling to go just to shield people from things that might possibly make them feel intimidated. Any reasonable person can see why this is wrong.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I belong to 24Hr and Planet Fitness (black card member)

Having been a former huge girl!! I am sorry I dont believe pizza at the gym is helpful. AND! All the PFs i have been to the staff are snoots and bored. But!!! I really like purplie thing pf has going on, the number of cardio machines and the black card spa :)

So of course I go :)

Now. 24 hour fitness is a gym with amazing trainers and classes and yes!! I love weight lifting.
    Had I gone to pf first?? I would not be where I am now. The amazing support and kindess I got at my (real) gym is what I needed!! It saved my life and I am so blessed bc of it.

Also, I am not skinny, like to lift weights and try new things... So I grunt.. Whatevs.. Gall dang it! That stuff is heavy! You try it :/ you will grunt too.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Humm, the wife and I just joined Planet Fitness due to cost and convenience to where we live. For the wife it's absolutely perfect, has everything she wants. Myself, not so much, but I have a full on gym at work and that's where I get my squats and deadlifts on. Couldn't keep justifying spending $$$ on a place further away and extremely crowded when I only need the place for accessory stuff.

PF for me is more along the lines of a place I can get accessory stuff done, maybe not exactly what I'm looking for, but enough variety to get a good lifting session in. Been going 3x per week to get calves, forearms and abs done because I don't have enough time to get those done at the work gym (running Wendlers 531). Occasionally, I'll even get a cardio (shudder when I type that...lol) session in.

I will also say, there's quite a few jacked ladies and gents I've seen over there, plenty of mild grunts (especially in the full on TRX room) and not a word said. Those folk in the TRX room (which looks a lot like a jungle gym) are slamming medicine balls, hitting those big ropes and jumping up on an adjustable platform. They make plenty of noise, are working hard, huffing and puffing like crazy and look to be getting a good workout for their goals.

Do I agree with the marketing, not really, but there's lots and lots of marketing out there I don't agree with.

Based on info from others, I'd say a whole lot depends on the location of the PF and who owns it.
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I happened to see an episode of the biggest loser. They were working out in their Planet Fitness sponsored gym, slamming balls, full on dropping barbells, sweating, grunting, etc. All the stuff planet fitness hates.

Then they go to commercial where thet are talking about no gymtimidation, gruntig, link alarms, etc.
  • Varamyr38
    Options
    I belong to 24Hr and Planet Fitness (black card member)

Having been a former huge girl!! I am sorry I dont believe pizza at the gym is helpful. AND! All the PFs i have been to the staff are snoots and bored. But!!! I really like purplie thing pf has going on, the number of cardio machines and the black card spa :)

So of course I go :)

Now. 24 hour fitness is a gym with amazing trainers and classes and yes!! I love weight lifting.
    Had I gone to pf first?? I would not be where I am now. The amazing support and kindess I got at my (real) gym is what I needed!! It saved my life and I am so blessed bc of it.

Also, I am not skinny, like to lift weights and try new things... So I grunt.. Whatevs.. Gall dang it! That stuff is heavy! You try it :/ you will grunt too.

That's another reason why my wife wanted to try out PF. She heard about the massaging chairs lol Not a big deal for me one way or the other. PF is cheap, it's open 24 hrs and plenty of cardio machines. That's all I need. Don't really need a personal trainer. Some people do but I know how to lose weight on my own. Already lost 50 on my own without exercising except for the occasional use of our stationary bike. I just figure this will help expedite the process. I agree that having the food there isnt a good idea but, if you're actually exercising and those endorphins are kicking in, you wouldn't want to touch those empty calories anyways. If people are just there to eat free food and not take anything seriously, that's on them for being stupid.