Anyone been to Portugal?

Options
scarletleavy
scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
I'm heading to Portugal on holiday in two weeks and still looking for things to do/see. Anyone been there and have suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm half Portuguese, where abouts in Portugal you headed?
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    Im portuguese!! Where are you going to? and what are you interested in seeing? architecture, clubs, landscape?!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm flying into Porto and beyond that no real plans. I'm going with one of my best friends and we kinda just wanted to see some cities, maybe hang out a bit by the beach, see a few sights, so basically totally flexible. I really like architecture, art and the outdoors.

Just wondering what are some good places to go and if there's anything that we should definitely see. I don't know a whole lot about Portugal and I've never been, so I'm really excited to go.
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    Porto, great!! Its where i study! There's a lot of interesting architecture (2 pritzker prizes are from Porto), and its a small city so you can see things fast. Idk whats is a "must see", but you can have a cruise in the river, visit the porto wine basements, try a francesinha (you're gonna have to forget the calories :P), visit casa da música, go to the beach... in Lisbon you should go visit the tower of belém, then go to the jeronimos monastery (the style of these 2 buildings is known as the portuguese late gothic-manuelino), try a "pastel de belém", go visit the center, you can go to "parque das nações" and you definetely have to go to "alfama" and listen to some fado! and in algarve or alentejo you just relax and go to the beach!!! :) if you want i can help you more, just add me and ill give you my email! i lived in porto for 6 years...

you could also go to Coimbra, and inside alentejo: Évora, Monsaraz... Óbidos and Sintra are very cool places too!
    This is the train company website http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=b3cdd5abe2a74010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD&lang=en

check this website: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Portugal/Things_To_Do-Portugal-TG-C-1.html