Best Bread?

2»

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I buy from a little German bakery-7 grain; a delicious coarse bread which I love. I only use one slice at a time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's not low cal but this is my bread preference.

a065facf-e359-4915-b73b-dfca72559d14.jpg

This is also my bread of choice. Love a bread that makes me sandwiches with 10g of fiber.

Edit: I just realized, mine looks exactly like this except it's Orowheat brand and not Brownberry. The Orowheat version I get is 80 calories a slice.

Apparently Orowheat, Brownberry, and Arnold are all made by the same company. It's interesting that yours has a lower calorie count. I wonder if the ingredients are different or if the slices are smaller.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Ezekiel bread - they have it at Trader Joes in the bread aisle and at Whole Foods in the freezer section.
    It's low carb, low fat, organic and great toasted
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    edited July 2016
    Alvarado St. Bakery. It's sprouted like Ezekiel bread. Flourless. Multigrain. Very yummy 80 cal a slice I think. Eta: I get it in the freezer in the deli sections.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If you must have bread - get Ezekiel bread.

Whereas most breads contain added sugar, Ezekiel bread contains none.

It is also made from organic, sprouted whole grains. The sprouting process changes the nutrient composition of the grains significantly.

In contrast to most commercial breads, which consist primarily of refined wheat or pulverized whole wheat, Ezekiel bread contains several different types of grains and legumes

Or if you like wraps, use Flat Out protein up, seasalt and cracked pepper.
  • moabbite
    moabbite Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to see which of these my grocery store carries and try some of them out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I like Healthy Life Bread 100% whole wheat. 35 calories and 5g fiber and 5 net carbs per slice.

http://www.healthylifebread.com/pages/original/100-whole-wheat-bread.php
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    I count carbs, and I second/third/fourth the Dave's Killer Bread. I also eat a Eureka Sweet Baby Grains. It's larger than the Dave's Killer (thin), and about the same nutrition-wise. There's also an Oroweat bread named something like Healthfull that's very low-carb. But...Dave's Killer Nut and Seed (thin if you're counting carbs) or Eureka Sweet Baby Grains. By the way, Sam's Club sells 2-packs of the DKB Nuts and Seeds.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    I love Aunt Millie's Light breads 70 calories for 2 slices and < 20g of carbs. Love it. We go through 2 loaves a week in a family of 3!

Here's a link to a list of the varieties. We usually get whole wheat, but the potato bread is good too.
    http://www.auntmillies.com/products/breads/healthy-goodness
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    I love my Ezekiel 4:9 bread..... toasted.... mmmm :tongue:
  • time4me38
    time4me38 Posts: 14 Member
    If you have an Aldi store, they have a fit and active wheat bread that has 35 calories per slice (and it tastes good). If not, there is a brand at Walmart (not sure right now of the name) that has 35 calories as well. It is good. I do know the 35 cal is printed on the front in biggish numbers.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    The weight watchers bread is super cheap and 45 calories/slice (I even weighed them to check!
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    To the Dave's Killer Bread fans - what part of the store do you find this? I want to try it. Thanks :)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    To the Dave's Killer Bread fans - what part of the store do you find this? I want to try it. Thanks :)

I'm not a fan of Dave's, but it's found in the bread section with the rest of the bread.

daveskillerbread.com/locator/
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    I've been eating tomato sandwiches with this bread:

product-classic-white.png

It's probably the least nutrient dense thing on the planet, but at 70 calories a slice, I'll live with that. At least until tomato season is over.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ezekiel 7 grain bread is what I buy.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    I like Ezekiel Sprouted Seed bread.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    I love potato bread! To cut down on the portions I bought a bag of slider rolls (or dinner rolls). 90 cals per roll.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    product_formulated_wholegrainSugarfree_890x1000px.png?timestamp=1447864195

I've been eating this for quite some time now. 50 cal per slice.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    We only use Sara Lee's Delightful products. Wheat bread( 1 slice) 45 cal, 8 carbs /wheat hamburger buns-80 cal, 20 carbs .
    I also love Village Hearth Light english muffins (2 halfs)-90 cal, 20 carbs.
  • candacem1991
    candacem1991 Posts: 19 Member
    I know most people don't do this but I make my own bread sometimes. I know its fresh, what went in it and I can change it up by adding extras like flax seed, oats, etc. I use my bread machine on the dough selection and it does all the work for me and once its mixed and risen I take it out and bake it. Super easy and doesn't cost much at all for a good healthy bread.
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 97 Member
    I like the sandwich thins...use them for breakfast sandwiches too (1 scrambled egg, 1 chopped up veggie sausage breakfast pattie on the toasted sandwich thin bread...yum!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I make my own bread now. Got tired of wasting calories on sub-par bread.
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    I don't have a particular bread of choice at the moment, but back when I ate a sandwich almost every day, I started doing half sandwiches (using just one slice of bread, folded in half) instead with an additional low-cal side. It let me still have the sandwich I wanted, but helped keep my calories down and I discovered a lot of side dishes I don't know that I would have tried otherwise.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I just went out and bought Dave's Killer Bread small slice at 60 calories OMG I love it. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    edited July 2016
    This is the only bread I buy anymore

Ezekiel_Sprouted_Grain_Bread.jpg

info_120_0.jpg?itok=DX8O1wti

They have a flax variety with even more protein in it (5 grams a slice)
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    I eat 647 Bread...it has a decent amount of fiber and only 40 calories per slice. I only eat it for breakfast with my eggs.
  • les2788
    les2788 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm also on the sarah lee 45 calories is what I buy, and skinny girl 100 calorie whole wheat pita wraps!
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Ezekiel! Clean and full of protein and good stuff!!!