My rant about the MFP community.

Options

Replies

• summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    "Do you really think cutting carbs is a life long plan? "
    Yes, I do.

I honestly don't know why you felt the need to single out low carb dieting in your rant. If you and your mom don't think its right for you, I could care less, that is your decision. However, there are plenty of people on these forums following all manner of diet plans who feel strongly about what they are doing and post their strong opinions here. They can't all be right but I didn't see you focusing any attention on them in your rant. Why not?

Finally, did you ever consider that maybe you and your mom are wrong? I'm not saying everyone should do a low carb diet, but on the other hand I can see no reason to sit idly by and let your post go unchallenged.

I'm sorry to have offended you, i really only mentioned the carb thing because it does seem to be the latest fad. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it is a fairly healthy way to lose weight HOWEVER some people seem to believe its the only way to lose the weight they want as if eating a single carb will inhibit their weight loss process entirely! Again, I'm sorry for offending but it was just a little rant i felt the need to get out. Perhaps this was another thing that should have gone unposted?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

I honestly don't know why you felt the need to single out low carb dieting in your rant. If you and your mom don't think its right for you, I could care less, that is your decision. However, there are plenty of people on these forums following all manner of diet plans who feel strongly about what they are doing and post their strong opinions here. They can't all be right but I didn't see you focusing any attention on them in your rant. Why not?

Finally, did you ever consider that maybe you and your mom are wrong? I'm not saying everyone should do a low carb diet, but on the other hand I can see no reason to sit idly by and let your post go unchallenged.

It's funny isn't it, that people seem to think low carb = no carb. It's not, it's just a reduced dependency on carbs for our energy. I have stopped having grain-based carbs with my meals, and you know what - I feel full, I have plenty of energy, I am LOVING the fact that eating this way means I get to eat a ton of great tasty fresh veggies, and I do not feel remotely deprived. At the weekend I went to see my folks and was given bread for lunch, a few hours later I was bloated and tense across my stomach. On a grain free diet my stomach feels free and lacking in tension.

No, carbs are not the enemy, but the standard western diet relies too much on them to bulk up the daily meal. It is perfectly possible to live low-carb and not feel like you are missing out at all. What I love about being low carb (and by low I am aiming for around 100g) is the amount of fresh stuff I get to eat rather than highly processed who-knows-what.

I do agree with the OP on some aspects - when I was younger I probably spent most of my free time outside, coming home for dinner at 7pm. There was no sitting in front of the TV or computer. My childhood was spent climbing trees, riding my bike and generally getting plenty of VitaminD!! One thing I think has led to the obesity epidemic (in addition to 'nutritional theoires') is the use of 'energy-saving' devices.

Eat less, move more.It doesn't have to be restrictive, it just doesn't have to be excessive.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    If dieting was a 'one size fits all' scenario then EVERYONE would follow the same diet and fitness regime and there would not be thousands of different ways to lose weight!

It pretty much is a one size fits all scenario though. You have to use more calories than you take in. This follows the first law of thermodynamics. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, just transformed. There are thousands of different ways to lose weight (many of them horribly unsafe and with zero science behind them) because I can literally drive down to San Francisco, buy 10,000 empty bottles, fill them up with rice powder capsules, photoshop a picture of myself on the cover of them and then sell them as some magical weight loss pill.

Every successful diet that goes about losing weight is based on the principle of taking in less than you use. That is what people need to realize, not some shiny cover on a bottle of some juice that promises 20 pounds of weight loss in a week.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

She was just being honest and sincere unlike you. If you want to get into a scientific jousting match about diets i'm game. Low carb is like its always been a FAD diet that made alot of people alot of money. You've got the world at your fingertips so why don't you go read about the negative health benefits of low carb diets. Just because it assists in losing weight doesn't mean its healthy. Another example of money for fat..Our stomachs aren't made to be cinched in a noose but look how popular the lap band is by people that can't control what they put in their mouths. Now they got Lap band walk in centers basically.

I've found that there is some good information on these forums but not much. People need to eat healthy balanced meals that have adequate fats, carbs and proteins. I actually watch mine but it doesn't dictate what i eat. I eat what i want and have lost in the past 6 months around 50lbs.

Ultimately the only knowledge that's required to lose weight is eat less then you burn in a day and your weight will drop. ANY exercise improves the rate of drop due to increasing your muscle mass. The diet business is just about as big as the pharma industry. Everybody has the answer yet 30% or more of the American population at least is waaay overweight. Guess what. Most would love a magic bullet solution like your support of a low carb diet. There are no magic bullets other then self discipline and desire to be at a healthy weight. That means controlling not necessarily what but how much we put in our mouths.

You talk about honesty but then you make a post like this.

I'll keep my response short but you should aware that many people in the world have lived their entire life on low carb diets and are as healthy as any of us. Since you're talking reading and having the world at your fingertips, please open your book to the "Inuit" people of north America. There are also plenty of paleo dieters who eat low carb as well and are very healthy. Is it sustainable? Sure, as long as you dedicate your lifestyle to it.

So, in conclusion, if you're going to talk about honesty, why not be honest?
  • RangerSteve
    Options

I'm sorry to have offended you, i really only mentioned the carb thing because it does seem to be the latest fad. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it is a fairly healthy way to lose weight HOWEVER some people seem to believe its the only way to lose the weight they want as if eating a single carb will inhibit their weight loss process entirely! Again, I'm sorry for offending but it was just a little rant i felt the need to get out. Perhaps this was another thing that should have gone unposted?

Low carb is a great way to lose weight because weight is the absolute worst thing you can worry about when dieting anyway.

If any of us go low carb for a few days, we're going to see a decrease on the scale because carbs hold water. So great, eat less carbs, hold less water. That's not real fat loss, just weight loss. This is also why so many people need to not worry about scale weight in the first place.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes, I do.

She was just being honest and sincere unlike you. If you want to get into a scientific jousting match about diets i'm game. Low carb is like its always been a FAD diet that made alot of people alot of money. You've got the world at your fingertips so why don't you go read about the negative health benefits of low carb diets. Just because it assists in losing weight doesn't mean its healthy. Another example of money for fat..Our stomachs aren't made to be cinched in a noose but look how popular the lap band is by people that can't control what they put in their mouths. Now they got Lap band walk in centers basically.

I've found that there is some good information on these forums but not much. People need to eat healthy balanced meals that have adequate fats, carbs and proteins. I actually watch mine but it doesn't dictate what i eat. I eat what i want and have lost in the past 6 months around 50lbs.

Ultimately the only knowledge that's required to lose weight is eat less then you burn in a day and your weight will drop. ANY exercise improves the rate of drop due to increasing your muscle mass. The diet business is just about as big as the pharma industry. Everybody has the answer yet 30% or more of the American population at least is waaay overweight. Guess what. Most would love a magic bullet solution like your support of a low carb diet. There are no magic bullets other then self discipline and desire to be at a healthy weight. That means controlling not necessarily what but how much we put in our mouths.

Where exactly was I dishonest and insincere?

While we're at it, why don't you explain to me exactly what YOU mean by the negative health benefits (whatever that means) of low carb diets? Then I'd be happy to respond to them with rational, polite discussion.

However, if you want to start up the insult flame thrower I am more than game but I'd really rather not go there.
  • beernutz
    Options
    Yes, I do.

Here's something else for you to chew on while you work on a reply:
    http://academicearth.org/lectures/battle-of-the-diets
  • denisepep
    denisepep Posts: 6
    Options
    It's like you read my mind OP
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI loved your post.I too have hypothyroidism.It is a struggle to find the balance with the food and ex.It can be done.
    keep up the good work
    jane
  • 1of4LittleSis
    Options
    Wow ...Very well put. I haven't been on here for long so it's nice that one of the first post I read is by someone with a good head on her shoulders :)

Even better like me she has a thyroid problem.. I'm seriously thinking I'm going to get my OH to read the paragarph where you explain how the condition works (or not as is the case!!) I've tried to explain to him so many times and he just dosen't or won't get it ;(

And lastly but not least well done on your weight loss so far..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I could not live without carbs.....................................!
  • beernutz
    Options
    I could not live without carbs.....................................!
    Well it is called a LOW carb, not a WITHOUT carb diet.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Well said...
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

Here's something else for you to chew on while you work on a reply:
    http://academicearth.org/lectures/battle-of-the-diets

Its fact that over the long term that followers of the Atkins plan have a higher incidence of cardiovascular diseases among other problems. . Instead of people eating our innate natural energy supply *(carbohydrates)* they turn to protein which isn't for one the healthiest thing to eat in large quantities and secondly doesn't fuel out bodies energy needs like carbs so. The whole low-carb was schemed up as a way of putting the body in ketosis mode which does burn fat more rapidly but is not necessarily healthy just because of it.

To much protein in ones diet is actually dangerous. Can it assist in weight loss short term. Sure it can. Your starving off your body of its natural fuel source. Its really not the food we have available that is the problem it's the stupid choices people make when building there menu's. It's known that we should limit red meat intake to about once a week and that's no more then 4oz.. Asians don't eat red meat that often and are a way healthier culture then we in the US by miles. They exist primarily on fish, veggies and yes WHITE RICE *carb*. They eat alot of noodles and soups,fruits.( i lived there for 4 years). They don't eat boxed or processed foods. There supermarkets don't have isles and isles of processed trash. They aren't too lazy to cook for themselves or their families like many American's are.

You know Dr. Adkins was a smart businessman. He figured out when a body enters a state of keytosis that it burns fat more rapidly Keytosis is what occurs when people only eat high levels of protein (low carb). His target for his plan were FAT people. Heck he drove it into a low carb revolution which has now pretty much disappeared. Nobody does Adkins anymore. There are a million other diets out there. Somebody mentioned the PALEO diet. That's what i call the caveman diet. It's worse then Adkins personally speaking.

One of the greatest role models for health was( Juiceman) Jack Lalanne. His favorite quote was " If Mother nature doesn't make it , don't eat it" This to the day is the best nutritional advice we could give anybody. What does that leave us? Meat/Fish, Vegetables, and Fruits. That doesn't include boxed trash foods like Mac & Cheese or candy or soda pop or anything machine processed.

Many of the longest living people in the world are from Okinawa Japan. They don't eat hardly any protein fish/meat. (mostly soy protein) They eat ALOT of veggies and fruits and white steamed rice. That's not a low carb diet so that pretty much says it all. Japan in general doesn't have an obesity problem and trust me they do eat plenty. Permanent weight loss shouldn't be based on a fad diet even if it works. It should be based on sound nutrition and be sustainable long term.

My diet isn't perfect and i eat whatever i want pretty much (i do eat healthier them most , always have) and i rarely if ever reach my 50% calories from carb on MFP. For that matter i rarely if ever hit 25% calories from fat or protein. Then again i don't eat to a numbers other then somewhat of a calorie goal. Processed food makes up probably less then 10% of everything i consume. Good Luck..Moderation does NOT mean Deprivation.
  • beernutz
    Options

Its fact that over the long term that followers of the Atkins plan have a higher incidence of cardiovascular diseases among other problems. .

Stop right there, i want to address your claims one at at time. Please cite a source for this claim because to my knowledge, and I've read quite a bit on the subject, it is completely untrue.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Its fact that over the long term that followers of the Atkins plan have a higher incidence of cardiovascular diseases among other problems. . Instead of people eating our innate natural energy supply *(carbohydrates)* they turn to protein which isn't for one the healthiest thing to eat in large quantities and secondly doesn't fuel out bodies energy needs like carbs so. The whole low-carb was schemed up as a way of putting the body in ketosis mode which does burn fat more rapidly but is not necessarily healthy just because of it.

To much protein in ones diet is actually dangerous. Can it assist in weight loss short term. Sure it can. Your starving off your body of its natural fuel source. Its really not the food we have available that is the problem it's the stupid choices people make when building there menu's. It's known that we should limit red meat intake to about once a week and that's no more then 4oz.. Asians don't eat red meat that often and are a way healthier culture then we in the US by miles. They exist primarily on fish, veggies and yes WHITE RICE *carb*. They eat alot of noodles and soups,fruits.( i lived there for 4 years). They don't eat boxed or processed foods. There supermarkets don't have isles and isles of processed trash. They aren't too lazy to cook for themselves or their families like many American's are.

You know Dr. Adkins was a smart businessman. He figured out when a body enters a state of keytosis that it burns fat more rapidly Keytosis is what occurs when people only eat high levels of protein (low carb). His target for his plan were FAT people. Heck he drove it into a low carb revolution which has now pretty much disappeared. Nobody does Adkins anymore. There are a million other diets out there. Somebody mentioned the PALEO diet. That's what i call the caveman diet. It's worse then Adkins personally speaking.

One of the greatest role models for health was( Juiceman) Jack Lalanne. His favorite quote was " If Mother nature doesn't make it , don't eat it" This to the day is the best nutritional advice we could give anybody. What does that leave us? Meat/Fish, Vegetables, and Fruits. That doesn't include boxed trash foods like Mac & Cheese or candy or soda pop or anything machine processed.

Many of the longest living people in the world are from Okinawa Japan. They don't eat hardly any protein fish/meat. (mostly soy protein) They eat ALOT of veggies and fruits and white steamed rice. That's not a low carb diet so that pretty much says it all. Japan in general doesn't have an obesity problem and trust me they do eat plenty. Permanent weight loss shouldn't be based on a fad diet even if it works. It should be based on sound nutrition and be sustainable long term.

My diet isn't perfect and i eat whatever i want pretty much (i do eat healthier them most , always have) and i rarely if ever reach my 50% calories from carb on MFP. For that matter i rarely if ever hit 25% calories from fat or protein. Then again i don't eat to a numbers other then somewhat of a calorie goal. Processed food makes up probably less then 10% of everything i consume. Good Luck..Moderation does NOT mean Deprivation.

I couldn't even finish reading your post. There is so much mis-information in there that it's scary. You should never say things like "it's well known that X......" or "we all know that Y....."

That basically means you heard from a cousin's friend's brother who said it. Either put sources or don't say things like that.
  • summalovaable
    Options

Its fact that over the long term that followers of the Atkins plan have a higher incidence of cardiovascular diseases among other problems. .

Stop right there, i want to address your claims one at at time. Please cite a source for this claim because to my knowledge, and I've read quite a bit on the subject, it is completely untrue.

May I intervene for just a moment? While i appreciate the support ( kind of ) , you're both doing one of the first things that bothered me about this site.... arguing your opinion without consideration of other peoples diets. When I said my mother made me sandwiches every day for lunch she knew it was because we burned it off through out the day. We very rarely ate heavy carbs at dinner (rice, bread etc..) because we weren't able to burn it off in our sleep. Instead we ate a lot of "carb substitutes" like spaghetti squash ( a personal favorite now) .

If you want to get into the VERY basics of carbohydrate consumption you need to look at the cellular respiration formula :C6H12O6 is the primary molecule involved. Why do you think "carb loading" used to be such a fad, you felt full fast because the body hardly had to make any conversions of the glucose molecule. This same reasoning is why vegetables and protein will make you feel full LONGER. Your body has a much longer conversion process and thus takes longer to digest these delicious foods. It is a little more complex then that but like I said for now just the basics.

From the looks of it BOTH of you have found a weight loss method that is working perfectly for YOU and i encourage both of you to continue with it, because again it works for YOU. I didn't mean to imply either "You should eat tonnes of carbohydrates because its the only way to lose weight" but I also didn't mean to imply "cutting out carbohydrates completely is unhealthy or an awful way to lose weight." I'm not the type of person who likes extremes and I've found that has worked best for ME. I like a little more balance (because i adore bread....european thing i guess?), but I do occasionally do low carb weeks to change up my eating schedule and it usually is the week i lose most.

But I found this website about low carb eating ( i haven't read through all of it) but it does seem fairly reliable/ accurate... so if you really want to end the debate right now just have a little read in your spare time!
  • summalovaable
    Options

May I intervene for just a moment? While i appreciate the support ( kind of ) , you're both doing one of the first things that bothered me about this site.... arguing your opinion without consideration of other peoples diets. When I said my mother made me sandwiches every day for lunch she knew it was because we burned it off through out the day. We very rarely ate heavy carbs at dinner (rice, bread etc..) because we weren't able to burn it off in our sleep. Instead we ate a lot of "carb substitutes" like spaghetti squash ( a personal favorite now) .

If you want to get into the VERY basics of carbohydrate consumption you need to look at the cellular respiration formula :C6H12O6 is the primary molecule involved. Why do you think "carb loading" used to be such a fad, you felt full fast because the body hardly had to make any conversions of the glucose molecule. This same reasoning is why vegetables and protein will make you feel full LONGER. Your body has a much longer conversion process and thus takes longer to digest these delicious foods. It is a little more complex then that but like I said for now just the basics.

From the looks of it BOTH of you have found a weight loss method that is working perfectly for YOU and i encourage both of you to continue with it, because again it works for YOU. I didn't mean to imply either "You should eat tonnes of carbohydrates because its the only way to lose weight" but I also didn't mean to imply "cutting out carbohydrates completely is unhealthy or an awful way to lose weight." I'm not the type of person who likes extremes and I've found that has worked best for ME. I like a little more balance (because i adore bread....european thing i guess?), but I do occasionally do low carb weeks to change up my eating schedule and it usually is the week i lose most.

But I found this website about low carb eating ( i haven't read through all of it) but it does seem fairly reliable/ accurate... so if you really want to end the debate right now just have a little read in your spare time!

...... i probably should have posted the link, oops :)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This was a great post! Thanks for sharing!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem too .... ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT! I take meds for it that have to be increased every few years and Im now watching what I eat and i exercise everyday (well almost everyday maybe 6/7 days a week sometimes) I think thyroid problems are extremely under diagnosed and more people need to be made aware of it! Good post!!