Need tips - I want to be healthy

Options
I'm 23, 5'2 and 225lbs.
Young and super over weight. Two years ago I started eating clean and being healthy and I was able to love 30lbs but after graduating and getting married I put the weight back on.

I'm not looking to lose 50lbs within a certain amount of time. I want to completely change my lifestyle to be a healthy and better me.

MFP is giving a daily intake of 2100 calories but my question for you guys is, how active should I be during the week?
Should I go to the gym every day or every other day? If so should I just be focusing on cardio or doing a million crunches.

I hope to get some useful suggestions from you guys!!

Replies

• mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    • walk at least an hour a day
    • go to the gym at least 3 times a week, up to you
    • track calories
    And you are set, track your weight in case you need to change your calories, also there will be times where you don't follow your diet but don't stress about it
  • marilu1358
    marilu1358 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @mecoconleche !
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to be active everyday, even just a little bit. Maybe rest day for once a week woul be nice.
    I think it's better to do a bit of both, cardio and all the other stuffs too. Just to balance everything out nicely.
    Always track your calorie, log in every single thing, fit day or cheat day. This way you'll learn how to control it.
    Drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies, it will help you get hydrated and full while staying under your calorie goal.
    Not everyday is gonna be perfect, don't beat yourself up, don't give yourself away either. Find the perfect balance to tell yourself it's okay but also remember to tell yourself to try again harder this time. Remember, failure only exists when you quit trying. So, stay strong and think positive. Believe you can and you will <3

All the best hunn, feel free to add me. Hope I've managed to help you :)

Anyway, to anyone out there, if you ever need a friend to accompany you through this journey to a happier and healthier life, motivate you to reach for you goals, support you through ups and downs, I'm always here to be that friend, so feel free to add me! I hope we all will succeed in this journey, until the end! Have a nice day everyone! :)
  • marilu1358
    Options
    @Fiqahana Wow that was truly amazing. Thank you for your kind words. All your feedback has made me feel more confident to really start this journey.
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @marilu1358 Aww, I'm glad you feel that way. You're most welcome, it's my pleasure hunn. I already accepted your friend request. I have a feeling we're gonna be great friends :)
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    marilu1358 wrote: »
    I'm 23, 5'2 and 225lbs.
    Young and super over weight. Two years ago I started eating clean and being healthy and I was able to love 30lbs but after graduating and getting married I put the weight back on.

I'm not looking to lose 50lbs within a certain amount of time. I want to completely change my lifestyle to be a healthy and better me.

MFP is giving a daily intake of 2100 calories but my question for you guys is, how active should I be during the week?
    Should I go to the gym every day or every other day? If so should I just be focusing on cardio or doing a million crunches.

That's amazing that you want to start up again. That's half the battle: getting that famous switch in your head to go on!!!
    Keeping active is very important, some form of activity at least 30 minutes a day to start and then you work your way up.
    Set yourself some small,achievable goals like 10lbs in a month or so. It helps to keep you motivated every time you reach your goal.
    Feel free to add me,I'd be more than happy to share the journey with you
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Fiqahana wrote: »
    I think it's better to be active everyday, even just a little bit. Maybe rest day for once a week woul be nice.
    I think it's better to do a bit of both, cardio and all the other stuffs too. Just to balance everything out nicely.
    Always track your calorie, log in every single thing, fit day or cheat day. This way you'll learn how to control it.
    Drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies, it will help you get hydrated and full while staying under your calorie goal.
    Not everyday is gonna be perfect, don't beat yourself up, don't give yourself away either. Find the perfect balance to tell yourself it's okay but also remember to tell yourself to try again harder this time. Remember, failure only exists when you quit trying. So, stay strong and think positive. Believe you can and you will <3

All the best hunn, feel free to add me. Hope I've managed to help you :)

Anyway, to anyone out there, if you ever need a friend to accompany you through this journey to a happier and healthier life, motivate you to reach for you goals, support you through ups and downs, I'm always here to be that friend, so feel free to add me! I hope we all will succeed in this journey, until the end! Have a nice day everyone! :)

Great words of wisdom. I like the way you think!
  • marilu1358
    Options
    marilu1358 wrote: »
    I'm 23, 5'2 and 225lbs.

That's amazing that you want to start up again. That's half the battle: getting that famous switch in your head to go on!!!
    Keeping active is very important, some form of activity at least 30 minutes a day to start and then you work your way up.
    Set yourself some small,achievable goals like 10lbs in a month or so. It helps to keep you motivated every time you reach your goal.
    Feel free to add me,I'd be more than happy to share the journey with you

This pay week I wasn't as active as I would have wanted to be but I'll keep my head up. Like you said, some activity is better then none.
    I also need to be patient with my self. Recently I've been pushing myself more but I only bring myself down. For this week I'll set some small goals and definitely share with you guys!!
    I truly do appreciate the support!!

Btw: I added you!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be active at all. just plug your weight in and how much you want to lose and your activity level which as sedentary. As long as you eat less calories than your body Burns you lose weight no need to exercise.

Now, doing the exercise has many benefits. Among them are mental physical and emotional. since you're starting over my suggestion to you is that you should listen to your body. start realistically 3 or 4 times a week I would do a blend of cardio and strength training. My only suggestion is I personally don't eat back any of my exercise calories.
  • marilu1358
    Options
    You don't have to be active at all. just plug your weight in and how much you want to lose and your activity level which as sedentary. As long as you eat less calories than your body Burns you lose weight no need to exercise.

Now, doing the exercise has many benefits. Among them are mental physical and emotional. since you're starting over my suggestion to you is that you should listen to your body. start realistically 3 or 4 times a week I would do a blend of cardio and strength training. My only suggestion is I personally don't eat back any of my exercise calories.

Really interesting point of view. Totally get it! I'll take it one week at a time with some small goals until I feel comfortable with the big goals. I don't want to over do it and gain the weight back again.

I'm glad you mentioned that you don't eat back any of the exercise calories. Today I was logging in my meals and my workout and steps for the day gave me some extra calories but I wast too sure if that was a good thing. Wouldn't I be canceling out my workout if ate those extra calories?