Should I buy a squat rack or power rack cage?

Options
I debating what to buy. I plan on building myself my own home gym and wanted to know what would be better.

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    A power cage. It allows you to also bench in it with safeties. Most also come with pull up bars and some, like Rogue's, have numerous optional accessories. This is the one piece of gym equipment I would spend the most on and make it the center of your gym. I personalky have a Rogue and I love the company for its excellent customer service and product quality.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A power cage. It allows you to also bench in it with safeties. Most also come with pull up bars and some, like Rogue's, have numerous optional accessories. This is the one piece of gym equipment I would spend the most on and make it the center of your gym. I personalky have a Rogue and I love the company for its excellent customer service and product quality.

Would you happen to know any power racks that are about 6' in height and ship to canada? Having no luck on amazon :/
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Would you happen to know any power racks that are about 6' in height and ship to canada? Having no luck on amazon :/

I just checked Rogue and their R-3 shorty version (on the R-3 page under options) is 7 feet. I don't know what your budget is but I would consider calling and asking if they can cut one down for you. EliteFTS would likely do the same thing for you.
  • blopmiyers
    Options

I just checked Rogue and their R-3 shorty version (on the R-3 page under options) is 7 feet. I don't know what your budget is but I would consider calling and asking if they can cut one down for you. EliteFTS would likely do the same thing for you.

Ouch that's expensive haha. What do you think of half racks? They're shorter and the one I was looking at can hold up to 300 lbs
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You could build one out of 2x4s if you are handy. What is your ceiling height? Personally, I would not invest in a full rack that isn't full height. Most full racks allow for pull-ups (and suspension work). Pull-ups are out if you want to refrain from subdural hematomas.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Ouch that's expensive haha. What do you think of half racks? They're shorter and the one I was looking at can hold up to 300 lbs

I think they're fine but if you truly fail in one you may miss the safety pins. When I first built out my garage gym I bought one for $200 (it has a pull up bar and a high/low cable to boot). I still use it for cable work. Have you considered looking at craiglist and other used sites to see if you can pick something up locally that's a good deal?
  • blopmiyers
    edited July 2016
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    You could build one out of 2x4s if you are handy. What is your ceiling height? Personally, I would not invest in a full rack that isn't full height. Most full racks allow for pull-ups (and suspension work). Pull-ups are out if you want to refrain from subdural hematomas.

My ceiling is 93" High. I'm not 100% sure if a standard one would end up working with a pull up bar. I should probably just forget the pull up bar and get one without it, shouldn't I lol
    I'll look around if anyone locally has one.

One more quick question, would overheads work in a standard rack?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

My ceiling is 93" High. I'm not 100% sure if a standard one would end up working with a pull up bar. I should probably just forget the pull up bar and get one without it, shouldn't I lol

That's as high as my garage and I have a 90" power cage. You can lower the pull up bar if you need, or like I've seen others do, use a monkey bar and install it upside down.
  • blopmiyers
    Options

That's as high as my garage and I have a 90" power cage. You can lower the pull up bar if you need, or like I've seen others do, use a monkey bar and install it upside down.

Yup! I've found one with monkey bars and even with it attached, it comes up to 82"

Thanks to the both of you for your help! I really appreciate it :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Yup! I've found one with monkey bars and even with it attached, it comes up to 82"

Good luck and enjoy! Post pics when you put it together. Here are some ideas: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10328074/garage-gym-types#latest
  • blopmiyers
    Options

Good luck and enjoy! Post pics when you put it together. Here are some ideas: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10328074/garage-gym-types#latest

Will do! It might take a few months to get all the equipment required but I'll post pictures whenever I have everything setup.