Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    One lettuce, two lettuce..

Tree lettuce, four.

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I bet your husband loves that.

While I can be all about the innuendo, this isn't the place.

Oh, I don't know... It's been a tough week. Anything that gives me a giggle these days is in the right place. :)
  • ying_ax
    ying_ax Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes I do because I eat that whole bunch at once.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log it. I don't eat iceburg lettuce, though, mostly my salads are spinach and other dark leafy greens, and I want to know that I'm eating *enough* of those things, and denote the fiber, vitamins and minerals they contain.

I also think it's just simpler to log everything that to constantly try to determine what "counts" for logging. If I eat it, it counts.

It's really easy to log a salad if you zero the bowl on the scale, then zero again after logging the first ingredient and before adding the next ingredient. You can get very precise nutritional content on your salads that way and it only adds maybe thirty seconds to the whole process.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Y'all do realize that weighing lettuce is about as anal as you can get?
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Absolutely weigh it. Romaine lettuce is packed with nutrients, so I eat a lot of it! As a vegetarian it is a great source of iron in my diet, so of course I want credit for it in my diary.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I generally do not so much for the calories but so I can track what nutritious foods I've eaten
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Yes always no free foods all have some calories or nutrients
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I log it, but I don't weigh most non-starchy veggies. If anything, I'm sure I'm overestimating what I'm actually eating. If I hit a plateau at some point, I'll tighten up with the measurements on veggies.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If I eat a bunch in a salad, yes I log it. A few leaves on a sandwich, no.

Ditto. I also like to be able to look back on my diary and easily see what I was eating

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Yep I count everything even celery, though you burn more calories eating it & digesting it than it contains.

This is a myth.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I buy the Freah Express bags of lettuce and log the calories per the nutrition label (20 calories in an entire bag, I usually eat half in one sitting for 10 calories), but I don't weigh it with my food scale.

Aside from tracking calories, our diaries act as 'Satiety Clue Books.' A giant bowl of lettuce provides a large volume of food and numerous fork to mouth movements and chewing, for very few calories. By keeping an accurate diary, you can look back at days that felt easy or hard and gather clues for yourself as to what combination or types of foods helped you feel satisfied and satiated. For some, that may be a large salad, and this information can help with our own personal meal planning.

I've taken a look at my diary months in the past to times when I was losing weight easily to remind myself what I was eating. Take for example a simple soup and salad lunch. Had I not logged the large salad I had with my soup for lunch, I could not have reminded myself why a can of soup was more filling then than now.

Our diaries are helpful in so many ways!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it but I count it
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    realcalm wrote: »
    Y'all do realize that weighing lettuce is about as anal as you can get?

Imagine the reaction you would get from your friends at a barbecue when you weigh the lettuce that goes on the burger?
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Yep I count everything even celery, though you burn more calories eating it & digesting it than it contains.

This is a myth.

Not really. It's just misconstrued. The list of genuinely negative calorie foods is extremely small, and so is the deficit from eating them. You can eat a pound or two of celery and your digestive process will burn less than five calories more than what you took in. Some people might suggest that would be a strategy for replacing meals and thus cutting large amounts of calories. Personally, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could enjoy celery enough to eat that much of it, and I would also think that might tend to create some form of intestinal distress.

• Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm with depends on the amount club. I count it for salads but if I go to ChickFilA I get a chicken sandwich and add lettuce and don't count it. I eat maybe 10 calories of uncounted lettuce a week. I didn't gain my wieght eating a price of lettuce!