Zoodles... too crunchy?

Options
hazzaram
hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
Hi everyone. This may be a silly question but I'm not the greatest cook. How can I make zucchini noodles less crunchy? Is there a better way to cook them than frying?

You may be asking why I would want to do that... I hate crunchy veggies (I know, I know. I'm the opposite of most). The crunchy texture makes me gag, though. I tried zucchini noodles tonight and I liked them except for the texture. Is there a way to cook them so they're softer? Would a crockpot help?

Replies

• tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steamIng them, instead of frying? That's what I would try if I was trying to soften them up.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think of that! I'll give that a try.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    the real trick is the salting BEFORE cooking!! Make your zoodles, sprinkle them with 1 tsp salt and toss them. I let them sit in a colander in the sink for 10 min then rinse them really well with cool water. I dry mine off using paper towels squeeze the water out then use them however you choose. Bit more time consuming but it really makes a huge difference.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I microwave steam them. 3-4 minutes in the microwave, then wring them out in a towel.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Steaming, boiling, cooking in the microwave, and crockpot would all give softer textures. Experiment to see how long it takes to get to your desired texture before falling to mush (assuming you don't want it THAT soft).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Like Frankenbarbie01 said, if you like them soft you're supposed to salt them in a colander before using. It's a trick used on eggplant quite frequently. Not only does it soften them, but it draws out a lot of water so they don't dilute the sauce you use with them. I usually let mine sit for 20 to 30 minutes. You could try different times until you find what you like.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    No need to break out the steamer, either, just put them in a pan, put a little water in the bottom, cover and cook for a few minutes. A bit like frying but with water instead of oil. The pre-salting is a good tip, too.

Of course, I would fry them in butter and put bacon and cheese on them, but that's just me. It's no mystery how I got into the obese category...