Is anyone on maintenance that isn't even that skinny?

1235»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    VitaSh wrote: »
    I suggest you look up Layne Norton's videos on Youtube about reverse dieting and how you can slowly reverse your calories higher to help increase your metabolism and change body composition, and then it will be much easier to lose weight from a higher caloric intake and/or maintain weight at higher calories, if you're interested.

This sounds very interesting. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    VitaSh wrote: »
    I suggest you look up Layne Norton's videos on Youtube about reverse dieting and how you can slowly reverse your calories higher to help increase your metabolism and change body composition, and then it will be much easier to lose weight from a higher caloric intake and/or maintain weight at higher calories, if you're interested.

All it's done for me so far is making the weight creep up, to be fair, lol.
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    I'm definitely not skinny: 5'3.5" and 155-157 lbs. It's what I weighed at my most comfortable ten years ago, pre-kids, so it's what I aimed for. I can even wear some of my old clothes again! (Although, not surprisingly, my tastes have changed a bit, and so has my shape courtesy of kids.)

I'd love to get more toned one of these days, and if that means I lose more weight, fine, but honestly I'm enjoying being back at the weight I wanted to be at, and I'd like to maintain for at least a year or two (it's been 4 months) before starting any more deliberate weight loss.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    I'm frequently in maintenance, but no on purpose. lol.

^^^this :wink:
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I have hit maintenance twice now. I am living proof that your body shape still changes after achieving goal weight. A couple of months after hitting my goal weight (both times), I had to set a new goal weight to fine tune. Hence my current MFP name "tweaking_time." My old handle was Go_Mizzou99 (lost 75 pounds that time)

Congrats on figuring out what works for your OP. Going off restricted calories and back on to maintenance calories is cool. You can always go back to fully or partially restricted calories if you want. You can also stay on maintenance and increase your activities and accomplish the same....or not.

Best wishes for your continued success either way.

• JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    I don't know how anyone can do 1200, skinny or not! I'm on maintenance (5'5", 107#) and I guess some people would consider me skinny, but only until they see that I have actual biceps and quads! Numbers are just guidelines. Do not let them define you.
  • kandi416c
    kandi416c Posts: 13 Member
    Well i keep my calorie goal between 1400 and 1600 but i make a lot of exercise because i enjoy it so much. Is the best part of my day, when you just disconnect from the world for 1 hour and is very motivational when you see your body, working out so hard! Also i'm 5'1, i'm petite. ;)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    5'6" 163 pounds now. Goal is 155-160. Seriously thinking of going maintenance now and if I lose any that would be a nice bonus. Weight loss has been slow.....
  • vincychan1983
    vincychan1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Frankly speaking, 1200 calories can be done when you are in a short term diet program. For me, it cannot be sustained in long term since I will crave for any food if there is nothing to occupy my mind, and eventually binging everything. Somehow, a toned body shape would be better than losing a few pounds as you can visualise it in the mirror.

If you are happy with your current body shape and weight, just keep it with 1400 - 1600 calories per day in average, and keep your body moving. Most importantly, stay happy :blush:

I'm petite too, 5'3, 113 lb.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    I work out multiple times a day. I can maintain 20mph for 35 miles. I run several times a week. As of the moment I have over 100 miles logged running for they year, and over 1,100 miles on my bike for the year .... I eat a solid 1,800-2,000 calorie diet. And I've been maintaining 225 pounds for going on a year now. Down from 326. I wouldn't say I'm skinny by any stretch. Depending on the brand of clothing I'm between a Medium and a Large.

My original goal was to get down to 190 pounds but I don't think I'll ever see it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Aiming at healthy not skinny....

Life is to be relished !

Cake and bike riding are both great.

Curves are fine.

Obsessing about having a skinny body (which some sadly do) does not strike me as an attractive goal and at times it is probably not an attractive personality trait either...

So for me I aim to get back (gently) to the healthy 150 or so I was before I got ill...and maintain at that.

(5' 7" female.)

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I don't think it's physically possible for me to have skinny legs. They're thick, even when my body fat is below 18%. I'm seeing where my weight settles out if I eat 1500 calories a day.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    After losing get 90ish pounds, I've decided that I'm in maintenance. I'm 5'6 and bounce between 156-159 and I'm ok with that. I'm 58 years old and it's just too damn hard to go much lower and be able to stay there. If I hit 160, I crack down until I lose a few pounds, I don't want to go any higher than 160.
  • vherrere123
    vherrere123 Posts: 27 Member
    I am 5'1 I began at 164 pounds. I am at maintenance. My ranget is from 135-140. Am I skinny? Nah, maybe? I feel happy at this weight and my clothes feel good
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    One of my co-workers asked me if it was okay to tell me that I looked skinny...she had heard that it was offensive to some people! I told her that I appreciated that she noticed I had lost weight, and it was okay. I also said that since I wasn't actually skinny ( 5'5" and 156#) I considered myself to be "less large" lol. Most of my co-workers have said either nothing or that I "looked great" and I'm okay with that, too. I am still losing, but I'm not sure how much more I can lose and still be comfortable doing a maintenance diet. We'll see. I'm pretty okay with where I am now, but there is part of me that says I have to be officially out of the "overweight" category...
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    You would probably lose weight if you up your calories from 1,200. Have you set it to .5 a week? And if you have, you could eat just a 100 calorie deficient every day and you would lose weight, slowly. Good luck.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I'm going to be quite a bit heavier when I go into near maintenance mode. I'm currently 156 lbs and when I get to 149 (about 9lbs away from a "normal" weight range) I plan to go close to maintenance and work on lifting primarily whereas my primary exercise now is cadio-based.
    As of right now, my "goal" is just to land in a healthy weight range. At 5'3, that's anywhere between 105-140. Other than that, all of my goals are fitness-related instead of weight-related. I find that helps my mental health at the very least
  • Fridaywed
    Fridaywed Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm between 5'1 and 5'2, I usually just say 5'2. I'm fine with anything between 124-130(126 is my sweet spot though). I don't mind at all being on the higher end of healthy weight, I have a larger frame(Actually was told that by a doctor) and think I look great! I have pretty small measurements, I wear a US size 2-4 and smalls in almost all brands and I'm happy about that. I don't see any need to go below 124 ever.

However right now I'm hovering around 133 and I'm pretty iffy about that
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't think it's physically possible for me to have skinny legs. They're thick, even when my body fat is below 18%. I'm seeing where my weight settles out if I eat 1500 calories a day.

Ditto @lithezebra my upper is now so lean you can see my veins over biceps, but my legs are still quite the chunky monkeys! Skinny will never refer to me! :wink:
  • davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    I am just over 5'9" and I weigh 174, according to the dreadful BMI I am overweight (25.3 score) but every calls me skinny and one person recently called me scrawny. I am have broad shoulders so that helps some, but I think I am done losing weight, I feel great, lots of energy, I will continue to work out and eat right, should be okay if I stay on track.

David