supplement help!

Options
What are everyone's thoughts on taking a pre-workout powder supplement? I don't have trouble physically going to the gym but my trouble is getting energy to be active at the gym. I workout and I feel like I'm giving 60% effort because again I have NO energy. So I debated taking a C4 supplement.

Thoughts?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you like coffee?
  • epac0127
    epac0127 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you like coffee?

I do drink coffee but not until after or I'll feel sick. I've tried that.
  • mostwhimsicalchap
    mostwhimsicalchap Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Preworkouts work, but I wouldn't suggest them as a long term fix. Even most pre-workout labels suggest you should cycle on and off of them. The stimulants can be very irritating to your GI. Plus for the active ingredients included you are way over paying for something a cup or two of black coffee could provide. Generally I find them to be a waste of money like most supplements, but that's just me. If you're dead set on trying some, just go for it because only experience will tell you what's right and wrong for YOUR body.

In my humble opinion, if you're suffering from lack of energy you may want to try to find a different time of day to workout (I know, easier said than done). I used to always fit myself in working out after a work day because I felt so drained. I found out after waking up early and getting my workout done first thing that my lack of energy problem had disappeared. You me be the same or the opposite. Just food for thought. Happy training!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Caffeine is the primary stimulant in those pre workouts. They might also add B12. If you're strength training then the only one that will really help is creatine monohydrate, and you can take that any time. It doesn't need to be just before you work out. That said, I use one with caffeine. I like to be up.

Also, if you don't have much energy how is your sleep and carbohydrate intake?
  • epac0127
    Options
    Preworkouts work, but I wouldn't suggest them as a long term fix. Even most pre-workout labels suggest you should cycle on and off of them. The stimulants can be very irritating to your GI. Plus for the active ingredients included you are way over paying for something a cup or two of black coffee could provide. Generally I find them to be a waste of money like most supplements, but that's just me. If you're dead set on trying some, just go for it because only experience will tell you what's right and wrong for YOUR body.

In my humble opinion, if you're suffering from lack of energy you may want to try to find a different time of day to workout (I know, easier said than done). I used to always fit myself in working out after a work day because I felt so drained. I found out after waking up early and getting my workout done first thing that my lack of energy problem had disappeared. You me be the same or the opposite. Just food for thought. Happy training!

Thank you. This was very informative. I have changed my workout times. I used to go after work and now I TRY and go In the morning. At this time I either don't want to get up or when I do instead of cardio I just want to sleep on the treadmill. It's now easier for me to go in the morning since my daughter isn't in school.
  • epac0127
    Options
    Caffeine is the primary stimulant in those pre workouts. They might also add B12. If you're strength training then the only one that will really help is creatine monohydrate, and you can take that any time. It doesn't need to be just before you work out. That said, I use one with caffeine. I like to be up.

My sleep is iffy. Which explains why I can't just get up at 4:45am for the gym. But I do anyway. I mainly try and cardio with slight weights.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    epac0127 wrote: »

My sleep is iffy. Which explains why I can't just get up at 4:45am for the gym. But I do anyway. I mainly try and cardio with slight weights.

When do you drink your last caffeine beverage? If you're having sleep issues then be mindful of caffeine containing pre workouts or other beverages late in the day. I'd work to get your sleep issues solved first.
  • epac0127
    Options
    epac0127 wrote: »

When do you drink your last caffeine beverage? If you're having sleep issues then be mindful of caffeine containing pre workouts or other beverages late in the day. I'd work to get your sleep issues solved first.

My last cup (and only cup) of caffeine is in the morning to start the day at work. Thank you for your input I will consider this prework out now that I know about the caffeine could be affecting my sleep patterns.
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, before considering taking pre workout, look at your eating habits. How much complex carbs are you consuming a day? By the way, I don't do low carb diets. I eat all the carbs. Someone said something about coffee. They are correct about the caffeine being in pre workout. I drink black coffee every morning and before my workouts and sometimes through my workouts.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat a combination of carbs (steel cut oatmeal, fresh blueberries, a glass of fresh carrot juice) about an hour before exercising. Then as soon as I'm done exercise I drink a plant based protein powder mixed with 12 oz of water. About an hour after protein powder drink I eat a mix of carbs and protein.

I try to get my energy needs met through whole food rather than supplements.