Struggling

Options
I find myself not logging daily anymore... not eating healthy... which I know eating healthy is a hard switch from not eating healthy all your life... but still I struggle. I also have trouble finding motivation when I know I need to exercise... I feel like I'm so sedentary and I don't know what to do to change that. I've gone through some obvious options... like join a gym... but I currently don't have the finances to do so... also done walking... but I'm bored with it because I live right off a 4-lane highway in rural NC. So, because I don't feel safe and comfortable walking down the highway... I walk around the perimeter of my approx. 1 acre plot in the middle of fields and that gets boring quickly. I don't know what to do in my free time to exercise. Also, I'm not sure what exactly I should be buying at the grocery store to be making the switch from an unhealthy diet to a healthy one.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have any suggestions/bright ideas? Does anyone know of any helpful resources?

Replies

• TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well done on the first step in admitting you need help!! :-)

You could do an exercise DVD? or buy a skipping rope and do that in your garden or a hula hoop? all relatively cheap from sports shops or Childrens shop?

You could buy ingredients to the foods you like so then at least you know exactly what is going in your meals, and cooking from scratch makes it more fun and you enjoy the food so much more. Try and eat pasta and bread in the morning or in afternoon and lighter meals at night. And if you can't manage that then just have a smaller portion, try eating off smaller plates like a side plate then it feels like you have a plate full of food when really you have a smaller portion.

Good luck i hope this helps xx
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I read A LOT about fitness...and I read that if you read about fitness for at least 10 minutes a day, you'll feel more motivated to work out. There are tons of fitness routines to try on bodybuilder.com, or Women's Health magazines (or .com)...they're a little less tedious than walking around in a circle. look on "used" websites for dvd's or equipment for cheap. As for grocery shopping...shop the perimeter, no more processed food unless you can't help it. Lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, fish, lean beef, pork)...you just have to do a little research.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town where I can walk, but after walking the same few routes many many times, I get bored walking too. Do you have an ipod or something to listen to motivating music? Maybe get a new workout dvd, like the 30 day shred? Find someone to walk with you every day?
  • kllnhllrd
    kllnhllrd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well done on the first step in admitting you need help!! :-)

You could do an exercise DVD? or buy a skipping rope and do that in your garden or a hula hoop? all relatively cheap from sports shops or Childrens shop?

You could buy ingredients to the foods you like so then at least you know exactly what is going in your meals, and cooking from scratch makes it more fun and you enjoy the food so much more. Try and eat pasta and bread in the morning or in afternoon and lighter meals at night. And if you can't manage that then just have a smaller portion, try eating off smaller plates like a side plate then it feels like you have a plate full of food when really you have a smaller portion.

Good luck i hope this helps xx

I think I'll try the smaller portions thing - eating off a smaller side plate instead of a big dinner plate. That sounds like a wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip! :)
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    ah I do feel for you. Everyone gets like this I think at some point. I hate walking by myself (I truly believe I am a pack animal and I need people around me! Call me wolfwoman if you like!)
    Can you find someone who will go for a walk with you or does the gym offer just swimming as and when. I found I can go when I want without the cost of a membership fee and it suits me.
    I also think you should just take each day as it comes. What I find helps is visualise your ultimate goal. Feel it, see it, smell it, hear it. What does it all say to you? If you can hear people saying "wow you've lost weight" feel healthier running up those stairs, try those smaller clothes on (and the smell of McDs finally makes you gag a little)
    I think little changes gets you started and taking each day as it comes. Retraining your brain, leaving something on your plate if you have grown up knowing to eat it all up. Finding out why your body is telling you you want unhealthy foods. Are you feeling down about something else?
    I know it's a lot but we're all here for you and want you to succeed!!!
  • kllnhllrd
    Options
    I read A LOT about fitness...and I read that if you read about fitness for at least 10 minutes a day, you'll feel more motivated to work out. There are tons of fitness routines to try on bodybuilder.com, or Women's Health magazines (or .com)...they're a little less tedious than walking around in a circle. look on "used" websites for dvd's or equipment for cheap. As for grocery shopping...shop the perimeter, no more processed food unless you can't help it. Lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, fish, lean beef, pork)...you just have to do a little research.

Definitely think I'll starting reading and researching more! Thanks! Nice quote btw, in your signature!
  • a_q_u_a_lizard
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel! the hardest part is starting. once you are going for a week it gets easier, but what i would suggest start getting tapes for home. even px90 if you have the money. i have friends who lost weight and toned up using it! if not then start boxing..even without a bag. the point is to keep moving. use a kipping rope. that is a killer workout. i find its easier to workout in the morning and i feel soooo much better throughout the day. if your like me, i always say im gonna start tomorrow and then 2 months passes and ive gained weight. today is the new tomorrow!! think of you at your goal weight and how good you will feel when you walk into a room. you will have so much confidence and its the best feeling! you have to decide to change your life because no one is gonna do it for you! you can do it. what i find really helps me while i work out is to watch the biggest loser. not because i was like them but i watched the finale episode online before i i watched the season and some of the contestents were bigger than me starting at 270 and they got down to 128!! now 128 isnt a healthy weight for me but if they can do it..so can we right? its something about seeing them take control of their lives that is so inspiring! ive lost close to 50 pounds before i started on this site and now im looking to lose the last 20ish! best of luck to you. you can do it ! if you have any questions just message me=)
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'd take one thing at a time. If you want to focus on improving your diet first, then find healthier ways to prepare what you like to eat. For example, if you like hamburgers, then make them from scratch, buy wholewheat buns (I don't know if you have them in the US) and then make a big salad to go with it instead of fries. If you like pizza, you can find ones with less calories in the recipes section. Then, make it a point of including vegetables as side dishes, and fruits as dessert. Baby steps, one meal at a time.

Regarding exercise, I do DVDs when I don't feel like taking a walk around the same area.

You can do this. It might feel overwhelming, but if you tackle one thing at a time it becomes more manageable.
    Good luck!
  • kllnhllrd
    Options
    I live in a small town where I can walk, but after walking the same few routes many many times, I get bored walking too. Do you have an ipod or something to listen to motivating music? Maybe get a new workout dvd, like the 30 day shred? Find someone to walk with you every day?

I think I'll invest in a workout DVD!
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    walking can be a bit boring, I use my MP3 player and that helps a lot! If you like music, just put some on in your house and dance, dance, dance, burns cals. I also use DVD;s hip hop abs is a good one to try. Food/dieting is a really hard one and yes a constant struggle. start out slowly with only eating fruits and veggies for snacks. then ease into better choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner. I'm not a huge veggie eater, but when I snack on carrots and celery I use a really nice sauce to dip them in, called Trader Joe's hot and sweet mustard sauce. Try to find something that tastes good but is fairly low cal to "dip" your veggie snacks in. Oh yea, try some tea, it helps suppress the appetite. I am currently drinking oolong tea, 2 cups a day and my appetite is way down, which is a big surprise for me because I am definitely a big eater. Good Luck, I'm in NC also.
  • kllnhllrd
    Options
    Thanks everyone... so many great suggestions! I've got a note pad and I'm writing them down as they come in! Hehe... goofy, that I am! :) But again, I appreciate the support up here! It's a lifesaver!!
  • endurowoman
    endurowoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can get great workout tapes at the library for free! Try different ones for a change of pace. Never feel bad if you can't keep up, remember your doing what you can and it will increase as you get more fit. Believe me, I even did Tahitian Hip Hop and it was scary, thank goodness I was alone! I feel for you, but at least MFP is here and you may make some friends close by to do things with soon!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What little things can you change? Instead of parking by the door, park far away and walk. I started exercising by just walking up and down extra aisles in the grocery store. Every step counts and I had to start somewhere.

As for gym memberships, that sooooo didn't work for me. I couldn't cancel it fast enough. I am a homebody and I work long hours. After those hours, I want to go home, so I had to find something I could do at home. We rearranged the house and I have a gazelle, it's like a treadmill, but it reduces the impact on knees. I get on the gazelle and go go go when I get home. Sometimes I have to do it after dinner, which is less than ideal, but it works for me. I may invest in a real treadmill when it dies.

I have a friend who gets up early and goes running, but she lives in a nicer neighborhood than I do. lol

Celebrate the small victories. Seriously, I mean it. Every time we have a real veggie on the side instead of french fries, it's a victory. Every time I have two slices of pizza instead of half... or the whole pizza... it's a victory. Low fat cheese is a victory. lol

If you drink soda, a diet soda is a victory. Not having a soda is a victory. Unsweetened tea is a victory (I live in sweet tea country).

It's not going to be an instant change. It's going to be a gradual progression. Take on problems one at a time and we all fall off the wagon now and again. All that matters is that you get back on and keep trying.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I find myself not logging daily anymore... not eating healthy... which I know eating healthy is a hard switch from not eating healthy all your life... but still I struggle. I also have trouble finding motivation when I know I need to exercise... I feel like I'm so sedentary and I don't know what to do to change that. I've gone through some obvious options... like join a gym... but I currently don't have the finances to do so... also done walking... but I'm bored with it because I live right off a 4-lane highway in rural NC. So, because I don't feel safe and comfortable walking down the highway... I walk around the perimeter of my approx. 1 acre plot in the middle of fields and that gets boring quickly. I don't know what to do in my free time to exercise. Also, I'm not sure what exactly I should be buying at the grocery store to be making the switch from an unhealthy diet to a healthy one.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have any suggestions/bright ideas? Does anyone know of any helpful resources?

Ok, first. I notice the dog. I walk with my dogs and at least that helps me get out and moving. Also, do you have a Wii? I have this Wii Dance Party game; basically its cool music and you have to follow the folks on t he screen. I suck at it. No rhythm at all sometimes and I probably look like a total dork doing it but it makes me laugh and is a lot of fun.

I hate gyms. I feel like the fattest person in the room (probably am) and also like all the "buff" folks are just looking at me and laughing. (I know theyre probably not even aware of me but I cannot help it...) Needless to say I DONT GO.

As for logging I got a mini voice recorder. That way I can tape what I eat and write later. I dont usually have time to log during the day. Also, MFP has a mobile app that is awesome.

It was really hard for me to change my diet (still is...) but I try to eat few processed foods (like frozen hot pockets, pizza, etc and deli meat... although I LOVE turkey... and try to avoid chips/doritos etc.) Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Try going for whole grain cereals (if you do cereal) and 1% milk. A good tip is to stay on the outer isles of the grocery store. Thats where all the "good" food usu is. (Although that stuff does tend to cost more... which sucks.) Ive started grilling vegetables which tastes awesome and Ive made my own hummus (really easy) and I dip that with pretzel stix. I get bored of chicken after a while but Ive noticed that my grocery store sells those rotisserie chickens for $5 and I can make a salad and load it up with chicken and it taste awesome! (Weird I said salad is good but, hey, there's a change...)

One of the biggest things that helped me is this book. (Link below. I dont know how to make it active...) In it she talks about exercising and all t he things you mentioned above. I could explain it here but itll take forever. She's really awesome and totally gave me the ability, knowledge and motivation to at least START to change my life... (If youre going to read anything read this one...)

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Why-Cant-Lose-Weight/dp/1419618474
    http://brookecastillo.typepad.com/
    http://coach4weight.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started my weight-loss journey nearly 2 years ago. I have yo-yo dieted my entire adult life. I lost 40-something pounds in 2005 and put it all back because I stopped watching what I ate and exercising. 2 years ago I had a health scare and a few panic attacks. I was done waking up in the middle of the night with palpatations, thinking I was having a heart attack or dying. I started back up with my Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds DVDs. (Try your local library to try out all sorts of workout DVDs. If they don't have them, get an inter-library loan.) You can walk as little as 15 minutes or 1 mile and work up to her 4 and 5 mile DVDs. I took it very slowly and gradually worked on adding time and actual hand weights to my workouts.

I started walking at the track and logging all of the miles I was doing on my calendar. I tried to beat my numbers from the previous weeks and months. Then I actually started jogging! 1/2 a lap at first, then, again, gradually adding distance. The Couch-to-5K program on Facebook or www.coolrunning.com plotted a course for me to train for a 5K. I have done 3 so far and I love it! I started MFP in April because I was stuck at 180 pounds and I wasn't happy staying there. I realized I was snacking too much, so I needed to clean up my act. I have lost another 25 pounds with MFP and I am the lowest weight I think I have ever been as an adult. I'd love to get the records from that dreadful gym weight check they put us through in middle school to see what I weighed at 11 and 12 yrs. old.

My point is, you have to give yourself time. If you take it off slowly, you have a greater chance of KEEPING IT OFF! Believe it or not, losing it is the easier of the two. You also have to want it really badly. I was tired of feeling lethargic and just not well. Going through all sorts of medical tests really gives you a good perspective on how important our health is, and how short life really is. My mom has also gone through bladder cancer with 2 surgeries and 2 months of chemo these last 6 months, and I want to be healthy to help take care of her and to be around for my children and their children for many years. So, when I'm on the treadmill or the elliptical or doing a DVD, I think of the struggle my mom went through and I use the mantra "Do it for those who can't" when the workout is getting tough. Be thankful you can get out and walk on your 2 legs. Others don't have that luxury. If you start by focussing on the things you have in life, you'll start to feel more positive and want to do it.

You have to motivate yourself. No one can do it for you. You have to want to be the best you can be and not settle for less because it's more work. If trying to both eat healthily and exercising are too much, take one step at a time. Take a walk on your property and change your thoughts from "This is sooooo boring" to "It's a beautiful day" or "I never noticed how tall that tree got, how blue the sky is, how fast the clouds move...etc." If you marvel at the wonders around you and really take in the scenery, it's like meditation. A walk outside is so great to clear out the cobwebs in your mind! (Also, a little music wouldn't hurt!) I see a dog in your profile picture. Take him/her along! It will do wonders for the both of you!

Gosh, I can go on forever! I just want you to get even a little taste of how great I feel now. I thought it was impossible and overwhelming- "A pound a week! That's only 52 pounds lost in a year!" Well, one week goes and another goes... almost 2 years later, down 73 pounds. I'm so glad I started. You can either choose to do it, make the commitment to yourself and be down that pound, or you can do nothing and hope you don't gain. "Do or do not...there is no try." The great Jedi Yoda! Please...DO!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've tried many times to lose weight. My heart wasn't in it those other times, I just did it because I feel I should. I now view those as practice runs to where I am now. This is the last time I'm going to have to try to lose weight. I'm completely resolved this time and ready. That being said there were things I learned the other times that made big changes for me even though in the past I never saw them through.

1. I had a problem figuring out portion control, sizes, and understanding calorie counting. I decided to make it as easy as possible. I researched Weight Watchers where the meals are done and sent but I just didn't want to spend money on something I knew I could figure out myself. I decided to go to the grocery store and buy two weeks worth of lunch/dinner Lean Cuisines (or equal). Now they aren't as healthy as making the food yourself, but I was overwhelmed and in new territory, and didn't have the confidence in what I was doing. The first week I was hungry, and by week two I was completely satisfied with the portions. By studying the box while I ate the food I really got a feel for what 290-350 calories looked like, and ideas about what I could prepare myself using those as a model. This time around I have the food covered from the experience, and I still have one of those once a week cause the Asia/Indian ones are yum!

2. For exercise, I just stopped asking my kids and family "Can you run upstairs and get me....", "Can you grab me a drink while you're in the kitchen", and started getting it myself, and made effort to go up and down the stairs as many times as I could manage. I still try to do this even though I'm extremely exercise lazy. I really hate exercising and thankfully Wii fit is in my house! I also try to at least three times a week go on the treadmill if even for 15 minutes while the laundry is going.

Those are just some idea's I guess that may or may not work.
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat thanks for all your ideas
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat thanks for all your ideas
  • sherrishift
    sherrishift Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YOU are not alone!!! For me, I'm doing something very similar too Revoltionwithin, I eat a lot of lean cuisine & smart one meals. I'm not saying it is the right route for everyone but it is what helps me stay on track right now. As far as cooking for myself, I do occasionally but never without a scale to measure every single ingredient. It can be tedious but a few bucks at walmart you can buy a scale that when your the cook, can keep you on track.

One thing that really works for me is on the back of the door of my exercise room I blew up pics of myself at my hugest weight and hung them up. When I feel like, "oh, I'll work out tomorrow." I look at those pics, hop on the treadmill and stare at them! It can be really motivating!!

Maybe something else you can try is starting a fitness program with friends from work. We have a lifestyle challenge going on right now and its how I got myself back in gear. It helps having the support at work and not just at home.

If you have cable, you can to on demand fitness channel and they have tons of workouts that are anywhere from 10mns. to an hour long. Gives plenty of variety. Hope some of this helped! Good luck & I'm always here if you need a push!!
  • HerkyMom
    HerkyMom Posts: 5
    Options
    If you're looking for a great workout DVD that's low cost, low time, and kicks your butt (literally). I'd invest in Jillian's 30 day shred. I just purchased it this weekend and I can definitely feel it. I got it for $9 at Sam's Club although I know you can get it elsewhere. It's 20 minutes a day. It combines cardio and strength training. I see several have been posting before/afters in the Success Stories boards. For dieting, I started out small. I was 'addicted' to pop, so I cut it out completely and made a rule for myself to get my 8 glasses of water in a day. I'm not always a water fan so I buy those Propel water packets to put in 20 oz bottles. Good luck and I hope this helps!!