Am I eating too much fat and protein??

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but the issue is calories. You simply have to start counting calories for the food you eat, and stop eating when you come to your calorie goal. If you want more calories either reduce your weekly weight loss goal (assuming you are like most who start with a 2 pound per week goal) or exercise more so you have those calorie to eat back.

If you are not losing weight you are eating too many calories. Use this site to track your calories like it it meant to be used.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just to touch on the excess protein turning to sugar...when your bodily protein requirements are met, excess is broken down to be used as energy. When that occurs, the molecule that's left, functions as that of a carb, either to be used as fuel or stored, whichever the body needs at that point.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jameela798 wrote: »
    But how do I get the fat I need without eating high calorie good?

How much fat do you think you need?

^^ This, and it's about moderation, really. A serving of almonds has 14 grams of fat, but an ounce is, like, 24 almonds. It's totally doable to eat high-fat foods, you just have to watch portion size.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are people who believe that following LCHF means you don't have to count calories. Not. I follow LCHF. And I log every bite. And I have a calorie goal. All of those. I could very easily gain weight if I ate too much fat and protein even if I stayed within my carb goal range. In fact, I have...just like the OP. Count your calories as well as your macros, log accurately, and exercise regularly. That's my advice.

Edited to correct spelling typo.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    On the question of "how to eat fat without eating high-calorie foods", you can't. Eat the high calorie foods (cheese, butter, peanut butter, whatever) but just in smaller portions.

I don't really follow macros, but I do know I'm always at or over mfp's recommended percentage of fat, and that's despite consciously limiting portions of high-fat foods! Getting enough fat is NOT a problem for me. Protein, on the other hand, I find difficult, and I'm always trying to eat more, but not for health - just because it fills you up and makes you less hungry, which makes losing weight way easier.

My attitude to healthy eating is that almost everyone needs to eat more fibre and more vitamins and minerals - in other words, more fruit and veg. I honestly believe the rest will take care of itself. The human body is very adaptable, but it needs that fruit and veg!
  • jameela798
    jameela798 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    Oh hey, one other thing. I'm also on LCHF, and I spent 2 or 3 weeks fluctuating up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds (even though I was eating under my calorie goals). I finally picked up a tip from a Keto group and figured out that I had to ditch the nitrates/nitrites. I was eating a lot of processed meat (like beef hot dogs, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, etc.) Once I stopped that, I have been steadily losing. I still have days where I end up eating a lot more protein than I planned, but I am still losing weight.

So do you not eat any process meat anymore?? I eat a lot of pepperoni and bacon! Do you think I should avoid these on a daily basis then cause of the nitrates in them?
  • jameela798
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but the issue is calories. You simply have to start counting calories for the food you eat, and stop eating when you come to your calorie goal. If you want more calories either reduce your weekly weight loss goal (assuming you are like most who start with a 2 pound per week goal) or exercise more so you have those calorie to eat back.

If you are not losing weight you are eating too many calories. Use this site to track your calories like it it meant to be used.

I agree! When I first started the diet I wasn't at all calorie counting. I just assumed calories didn't matter as much!! It was the carbs I needed to count not calories but I have realised the hard way that it's both that need to be monitored!!
  • jameela798
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I lost 60 pounds while eating 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein. The pounds came off easily. I felt energetic and happy -- and I liked the food I was eating. I focused MAINLY on my calories - eating fewer than I burned each and every single day.

It's mostly about calories. Don't over-complicate things! :smiley:

It's hard, cause I thought I had done my research before starting the diet and I have a few friends all doing this diet and they don't really calorie count as such, although they do monitor all foods on his app. I made a mistake of not calorie count and now I'm 7 lb heavier than I was before I started!!!

How long did it take for u to lose 60lb??
    Also I can't believe your carbs intake is so high and you still had a weight loss! I think mine are set at 65% of fat, 25% of protein and 10% of carbs .
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Generally most people don't need much fat in their diet. I know some strict "IIFYMers" go for like 80g a day. (Ths is fine if it's working for you). If my goal was weight loss though, I would keep my fats reasonably low. Not because fat makes you fat, but because adding 100 calories of peanut butter to my oatmeal doesn't fill me up as 300g of brussel sprouts with my supper.
  • rgrayemti
    rgrayemti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today starts week 5 for me on LCHF. I have to say I LOVE IT! I have been sugar free for 4 solid weeks, and that is monumental. I had a huge sugar addiction. Now on LCHF, I don't crave any carbs or sugar. It's like a switched has been flicked and I am immune to them. I eat what I want of eggs, meat, cheese, broccoli, and Slim Jims! Slim Jims are like my candy bars. The monster size have 9 grams of carbs. I use MFP to help monitor the daily carbs and keep them around the 20g mark. So far I've lost 12 lbs. I could see staying on this food plan for a very very long time. Good luck to you. I think if you continue to keep carbs at 20g per day, you'll see the weight come off, or at least the inches.
  • jameela798
    Options
    Plus you dont eat more fat to lose fat... That is not how it works. You want your body to burn your fat reserves for fuel. If you over feed it fat the diet is pointless.

I thought fat was what kept us feeling fuller for longer? I thought most of my diet was supposed to be fat and protein ??
  • jameela798
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I think that people who do LCHF realize it's still about calories. But one premise behind Keto is that you will be less hungry and eat less. But I think the appetite suppression is an illusion. What happens is that the diet becomes boring, and with the somewhat limited food choices, you get tired of eating the same things over and over. So you eat less of them. This is what happened to me, anyway. But I hope it works for you in the long term. :)

I have found that I'm not missing the obvious bread and pasta and other high carb foods. In fact my problem giving the carbs up wasn't hard at all.
    I just am struggling with understanding this diet haha.
    I now know I have been eating too many calories a day. My carbs have always remained low, protein has always been ok or very slightly over but the fat and calories have been over by a lot some days which obviously means I'm eating too much of the naughty stuff such as cream, nuts, and maybe even meats.

I just want to find a happy-medium where the weightless isn't dramatic but I'm losing something each week! So do u still do the diet even thou bored of the foods?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago and ate meat to my hearts content - bacon, pork you name it and I lost a ton of weight BUT I ate only 20 carbs. I have no idea the calorie count but I'm sure it was high because I ate cheese like it was going out of style. This maybe why I'm vegetarian (I do eat tuna) now lol. It worked great for losing but not a sustainable diet for me as soon as I added carbs I gained it back.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Plus you dont eat more fat to lose fat... That is not how it works. You want your body to burn your fat reserves for fuel. If you over feed it fat the diet is pointless.

No, how you are stating it is not how it works. If a person is in a calorie deficit, for weight loss it does not matter what that food they eat is made up of.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Generally most people don't need much fat in their diet. I know some strict "IIFYMers" go for like 80g a day. (Ths is fine if it's working for you). If my goal was weight loss though, I would keep my fats reasonably low. Not because fat makes you fat, but because adding 100 calories of peanut butter to my oatmeal doesn't fill me up as 300g of brussel sprouts with my supper.

I can eat huge amounts of veggies, brussel sprouts includes, and while I may be full for a while, I get hungry again soon after because they simply are not satisfying to me. That is obviously different for you. BTW, I am not LCHF, but I do find fat and protein far more satiating than just veggies.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, one other thing. I'm also on LCHF, and I spent 2 or 3 weeks fluctuating up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds (even though I was eating under my calorie goals). I finally picked up a tip from a Keto group and figured out that I had to ditch the nitrates/nitrites. I was eating a lot of processed meat (like beef hot dogs, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, etc.) Once I stopped that, I have been steadily losing. I still have days where I end up eating a lot more protein than I planned, but I am still losing weight.

So do you not eat any process meat anymore?? I eat a lot of pepperoni and bacon! Do you think I should avoid these on a daily basis then cause of the nitrates in them?

I can't say I NEVER eat it anymore. It's just too convenient. But, I am trying to limit it a lot or eliminate it altogether. I was eating a lot of turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, and hot dogs (because summer, kids, and cooking out a lot). When I stopped eating those things for a week, my weight began to drop again. This week, I did eat hot dogs a couple of times, and my weight spiked up immediately.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I can't say I NEVER eat it anymore. It's just too convenient. But, I am trying to limit it a lot or eliminate it altogether. I was eating a lot of turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, and hot dogs (because summer, kids, and cooking out a lot). When I stopped eating those things for a week, my weight began to drop again. This week, I did eat hot dogs a couple of times, and my weight spiked up immediately.

And you don't think the sodium in processed meat has anything to do with that?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

And you don't think the sodium in processed meat has anything to do with that?

The fact that I'm on a LCHF diet means that I NEED to have plenty of sodium in my diet. I can eat minimally processed food and load it up with salt, and not experience the same effect. So, no, I don't believe it's the sodium.