Working out no results. Demotivated.

Options
I've been working with a personal trainer for 6 weeks. I don't see any difference. My clothes fit the same. I don't eat a whole lot different from before (I barely eat fried foods, and my diet isn't poor, sometimes I have bad stuff but not often), but I NEVER worked out before. Now I work out 3-4 times a week and I'm not seeing results. It's so frustrating. I'm changing my activity level drastically and nothing. We are doing hiit workouts when we do workout. Any helpful advice would be welcomed. I just feel like I'm working out for nothing.

Replies

• FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weightloss happens when you're in a deficit. You can workout to the extreme and never lose weight. How are you measuring your food?
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat. Have you spoken to the trainer about this? You are paying this professional for his / her expertise.
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yea I have spoken to him. I was going 2x a week. He suggested I go more. Now he's suggesting to incorporate more cardio. I'm not measuring my food. I eat a little bit several times a day. I do eat at 930pm most nights. I need to stop that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Weight loss? You need to eat in a deficit. I go to the gym 4x per week and I'm not going to lose a pound unless I eat less.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale, eat at a deficit. Timing does not matter in terms of weightloss. I eat at like 10pm sometimes and it doesn't affect my weightloss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Ajirvin wrote: »
    Yea I have spoken to him. I was going 2x a week. He suggested I go more. Now he's suggesting to incorporate more cardio. I'm not measuring my food. I eat a little bit several times a day. I do eat at 930pm most nights. I need to stop that.

I think we've found the problem.

You really, truly cannot out-exercise too much food. If it isn't being counted, how do you know?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more then fat. Have you spoken to the trainer about this? You are paying this professional for his / her expertise.

actually thats only true if there is a lot of it. a lb is a lb muscle takes up less space than fat. but if you were to have a higher volume of muscle then yes it would weigh more,and being female it can awhile to build a decent amount of muscle under the right conditions(genetics can play a part too)
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    Ok so I guess I will just eat less. I was trying to do this without being miserable. I think counting what you eat sucks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in a defecit

Take the weighing (scale not cups) as a game..it doesn't have to make you miserable it's just like budgeting you have a set amount of calories across the week and need to decide how to spend them

But you should have been seeing some fitness gains over 6 weeks
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    weigh ur food, certain food will make you full. Make sure ur getting ur protein and veggies etc. I love bread but, I had to cut back on it and certain other foods and I was happy to see I lost weight. Don't give up..keep moving forward it will happen.
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It takes time. If you can avoid processed foods, get plenty of veggies drink a ton of water and track your foods on here you will see a change. Cut carbs for a week or at least low carbs.
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ajirvin wrote: »
    Ok so I guess I will just eat less. I was trying to do this without being miserable. I think counting what you eat sucks.

a) Have you actually tried measuring/weighing/counting food before? Personally I don't find it too bad, unless I'm making something with a lot of ingredients, but it literally takes like three minutes tops, per meal.

b) You 100% don't have to count what you eat, but then you lose like 90% of your right to complain that you're not seeing the results that you're expecting.

(Well, that's a lie. You still have the right to complain, you'll just get way less sympathy.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    optfitness wrote: »
    It takes time. If you can avoid processed foods, get plenty of veggies drink a ton of water and track your foods on here you will see a change. Cut carbs for a week or at least low carbs.

cutting carbs (no fruits,veggies,grains,etc)/cutting them down for a week will only result in water weight loss.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Somehow it always surprises me when someone comes on a calorie-counting website, isn't losing weight and can't figure out why...and then says they don't count calories...That's what this website was designed to help you do, use it to your advantage.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Also, doing workouts will give you results other than weight loss. How is your endurance? Any better than when you started?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can try not counting if you want. Weight loss will be less consistent but hey...if you understand food/calories well and how to cut out 200-500 calories daily without logging, go for it.
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    optfitness wrote: »

cutting carbs (no fruits,veggies,grains,etc)/cutting them down for a week will only result in water weight loss.

It might still at least give her motivation to keep going. I never rely on a scale. that number is meaningless.
  • Ajirvin
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well I know how to cut down on calories. I used to count calories and it was a job in itself. I understand what y'all are trying to say, but I'm not eating mcdonalds, fried foods, and eating chocolate every day. Supper is my worst meal and I usually have lots of ingredients. (Soups, casseroles, etc) My endurance has improved. I can do many things that I couldn't do before. I just want to see it, not just feel it.
    Also, I just came here for helpful tips, not sarcasm.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You can still be over your calories without eating Mcdonalds, fried foods, and eating chocolate every day. I know it is difficult to log those complicated dinners, but if you enter recipes for things you make frequently, it gets easier and you can tweak them if needed. If you aren't seeing the results, your diet is off. You can't out-train a bad diet. Not meaning "bad" like eating junk, just being over your calorie goals, even if it is all "healthy".
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day, like literally, EVERY day, and I've lost weight. I had McDonald's last week too. I had a Big Mac, fries, large Coke.

Here's the thing: I COUNT those calories so I can fit them in.

You don't have to do it if you don't want to do it. You can estimate and do your best. (shrug) But you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Even if it's good food (and not chips, soda, etc.) you won't see any difference if you're not in a caloric deficit.

And that's a helpful tip and not sarcasm. It's also truth.