Leg press ave. WTAF!

Options
2»

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Thanks, I can't squat as much as I'd like because I struggle to get a heavier barbell over my head - any tips?

I also found an interest in lifting through body pump but you can only get about 40kg on those bars and even that is tough to lift over your head. If you want to heavy squat then you need to get out of class and into the free weights section of the gym!
    Use a squat rack and build up slowly. Follow a properly devised program such as SL5X5, starting strength or ice cream fitness etc (I'm a SL advocate but each to their own). Definitely get someone to show you proper form - heavy weights are only dangerous in the wrong hands!
    Good luck with your new found love! Nothing better than the feeling of squatting >100kg!
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm def considering strong lifts, I'm just waiting to see an instructor about using the rack and bench. I'm a bit worried my gym only has one rack though, how long would you say you need to spend in it? Is it better to do one exercise after the other or all sets for one in a row?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I can't imagine getting 40 over my head I struggle at 20, only just worked up to 35 on deadlift and that's hurting today!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm def considering strong lifts, I'm just waiting to see an instructor about using the rack and bench. I'm a bit worried my gym only has one rack though, how long would you say you need to spend in it? Is it better to do one exercise after the other or all sets for one in a row?

Mine also has one rack only ...it's a pain

I have to run the gauntlet to get it ...sometimes I just adapt and do others because I get a little nervous (which is on me not other gym users) ..but yes do your sets and don't give it up till you are done ...or let others work in ...I tend to superset rather than rest so I will generally squat then put in a dumbbell pull exercise or push ups

If I can't get the rack I'll do goblet squats or use TRX cos I'm trying to get those one legged squat things going
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Yea I'm not sure why I feel like I've got less right to use things than other people at the gym, just feel a bit like an alien there still!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yea I'm not sure why I feel like I've got less right to use things than other people at the gym, just feel a bit like an alien there still!

It's a male dominated area (very much so in my gym) so you've got the female to 'pack of built males' nervousness thing going on (that's just ingrained)

that said the general attitude is I'm doing my thing you do yours, the guys who give off the neanderthalic vibe are really not common, the majority are doing their own thing, decent and will help if you need it (like lift a 60kg barbell off you and back on rack :blush:)

I tend to head down, headphones on oblivious tbh and will occasionally ask how many sets left and if they offer to work in go for it

Also you're a noob ...anything new when there's experienced people there is nervewracking

Makes sense to me to be a bit nervous...but it's mainly misplaced
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

When you're first starting you won't spend too long in there, maybe 20 minutes? SL is not a super setting kind of workout so you'll just go in, squat, and go. Then you might overhead press there too.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Great thanks everyone
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Ok so I met with gym instructor last night to help me use what I thought was a rack...the gym actually only has a smith machine, can I up my squat lift in this or is it time to find a new gym??
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I tried reading through the smith machine post but it's all a bit messy and complicated sorry!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    New gym time ...a smith machine forces the movement to follow an unnatural fixed path which reduces the benefits
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    New gym time ...a smith machine forces the movement to follow an unnatural fixed path which reduces the benefits

Thought that might be the answer! Ok, thanks :)
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Definitely new gym time - Smith machine is only any good for hanging your towel from!!
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree new gym, but if you can't, adapt. Use dumbbells and work your way up. Use the smith machine (sparingly, though).
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think i depends on the type of leg press machine. 45 incline or horizontal etc. 45 incline you can do more then a horizontal type. There is one particular leg press at my gym (horizontal) i can only press about half that of a 45 incline. Depends on i was engineered. They vary so much.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I think i depends on the type of leg press machine. 45 incline or horizontal etc. 45 incline you can do more then a horizontal type. There is one particular leg press at my gym (horizontal) i can only press about half that of a 45 incline. Depends on i was engineered. They vary so much.

Did you summon those pecs with your necromantic powers?