Struggling

Options
I'm having a hard time losing weight for some reason. I lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago and then I got complacent and put it all back on. I started working out again and eating better and lost the weight to get down close to what I lost before. Now i'm back up to the weight I was the first time I started. What is frustrating is I got to this weight and I've been working out. But I know my diet has been horrible. I think it's the amount I'm eating as opposed to what I am eating. Has anyone had this issue. I feel like as hard as I have been trying I am unable to lose the weight I did before. Some factors that have changed is I have a deskjob now. I think I am going to try carb cycling again and see if that helps me. Just need to find time at home and at work. My weight has me tired all the time and my legs always hurt.

Replies

• gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I did carb cycling before I lost a lot of weight and wasn't eating as much as I do now. I know I've let myself go. Instead of eating one or two slices of pizza I'll eat 5 or 6. I really struggle with food. Carb cycling was easy because I did have to measure out my food but one day out of the week I could eat whatever I wanted to. I really do just need to do like you say and create a deficit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If it works for you then go for it!!!

But just know that you lost weight because you created a calorie deficit. Carb cycling alone won't cause weight loss. Weight loss only occurs when a calorie deficit is created.
    You could eat at a calorie surplus but do low carb seven days per week and not lose a pound. ( Because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit)
    Do whatever fits your lifestyle best.
    Get yourself a food scale and learn how to weigh your portions out. Most of us are not good with guessing portions ( that's why we became over weight. We ate more then we needed) the food scale will teach you portion control.
  • kurriouskat
    kurriouskat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating whole foods, no sugar or carbs when you're free eating. Try to eat as clean and healthy as possible and don't use food as a reward! Good luck!
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your legs might hurt from sitting too long. Mine cramp if I sit for more than 2 hours. Get up and move... you don't need to actually go anywhere, just walk in place or even just shift your weight from one foot to the other for a couple minutes :)
  • winterskye71
    winterskye71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I understand. I have a desk job as well and it's a killer. I've also had back surgery recently. Pinched nerve that left my left leg in pretty bad shape. Just remember, any exercise is helpful..do as much as you can. And I agree with the other posters, creating a calorie deficit is key, whether your calories are from steak, pasta or pecan pie :smiley:
  • merritttu
    merritttu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flexible dieting? or Macro counting? It allows you to eat what you want, as long as you fit it within your caloric range, that includes protein, carbs and fats. I just started on it, and so far, the results are coming in slowly, but I don't feel so restricted all the time. But, this does include a steady workout routine
  • gcooper7
    Options
    @Merritttu I don't know if that's any different than what I have been doing. I'm still eating what I normally do just not as much. So far I am 4 lbs down so that's exciting for me. I love food. I can eat all day and a lot of it. I have to retrain myself to eat better (not as much) as when I was 18. I used to be super fit and play sports and it's one of those things that once you stop you almost forget how to start back again. I'm trying to reteach myself. Ugh. If only losing weight was as easy as it is to gain it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Really, per what you said, you just need to eat less. If carb cycling helps you eat less, that's great, but it's not a long term solution.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    merritttu wrote: »
    Have you tried flexible dieting? or Macro counting? It allows you to eat what you want, as long as you fit it within your caloric range, that includes protein, carbs and fats. I just started on it, and so far, the results are coming in slowly, but I don't feel so restricted all the time. But, this does include a steady workout routine

What's the difference between this and calorie counting?

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    gcooper7 wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time losing weight for some reason. I lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago and then I got complacent and put it all back on. I started working out again and eating better and lost the weight to get down close to what I lost before. Now i'm back up to the weight I was the first time I started. What is frustrating is I got to this weight and I've been working out. But I know my diet has been horrible. I think it's the amount I'm eating as opposed to what I am eating. Has anyone had this issue. I feel like as hard as I have been trying I am unable to lose the weight I did before. Some factors that have changed is I have a deskjob now. I think I am going to try carb cycling again and see if that helps me. Just need to find time at home and at work. My weight has me tired all the time and my legs always hurt.

I'm calorie cycling and 2 1/2 weeks in and its great so far! I'm seeing a steady weight loss and I'm just beginning to feel more energy. Right now I'm not eating back my exercise calories but thats because I'm only walking. Plus I don't measure everything out (except cheese) so my exercise calories cover that for me, I'm only walking right now to just ease bad knees into it but I eventually may eat exercise calories later when I begin working out harder.

Protein at every meal or a protein bar helps keep me full.

good luck!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating whole foods, no sugar or carbs when you're free eating. Try to eat as clean and healthy as possible and don't use food as a reward! Good luck!
    fruits,veggies,grains,bread,etc all have sugar and carbs(because carbs are sugar and vice versa) in them. its all about a calorie deficit. its not about what you eat but how much.
  • GobletofFlames
    GobletofFlames Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!!!
  • gcooper7
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Really, per what you said, you just need to eat less. If carb cycling helps you eat less, that's great, but it's not a long term solution.

No it isn't long term but it does help me eat less and get back on track. I follow the diet/meal plan that Chris Powell wrote a book about.
  • gcooper7
    Options
    Good luck!!!!!

Thank you
  • gcooper7
    Options
    fruits,veggies,grains,bread,etc all have sugar and carbs(because carbs are sugar and vice versa) in them. its all about a calorie deficit. its not about what you eat but how much.

I have been good for the most part about how much I'm eating. Still human and still slip but I can honestly say I haven't had soda in two weeks except.for a small sip I took of my sons.
  • gcooper7
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    gcooper7 wrote: »

I'm calorie cycling and 2 1/2 weeks in and its great so far! I'm seeing a steady weight loss and I'm just beginning to feel more energy. Right now I'm not eating back my exercise calories but thats because I'm only walking. Plus I don't measure everything out (except cheese) so my exercise calories cover that for me, I'm only walking right now to just ease bad knees into it but I eventually may eat exercise calories later when I begin working out harder.

Protein at every meal or a protein bar helps keep me full.

good luck!

What exactling is calorie cycling?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why? Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not from eating (or not eating) certain types of food. ;)