Maintaining

Options
Ok, so I reached my goal, which is great. I've topped up my cals to maintenance but am struggling to eat that amount (1600) I've been loosing for about 2 years so I've got into habits for breakfast and lunch. The only way I'm boosting my intake atm is with junk which isn't good, I want to keep my cals up but eat lots of healthy fruit and veg. I've not got much time to prepare lunches etc and dinner when I get home (I'm quite lazy when it comes to food)

I also have to watch what I eat as I've suffered from ED's previously and have a pretty warped sense of food intake!

Any help/ ideas/ suggestions?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I reached my goal, which is great. I've topped up my cals to maintenance but am struggling to eat that amount (1600) I've been loosing for about 2 years so I've got into habits for breakfast and lunch. The only way I'm boosting my intake atm is with junk which isn't good, I want to keep my cals up but eat lots of healthy fruit and veg. I've not got much time to prepare lunches etc and dinner when I get home (I'm quite lazy when it comes to food)

I also have to watch what I eat as I've suffered from ED's previously and have a pretty warped sense of food intake!

Any help/ ideas/ suggestions?

You don't have to eat more food to get more calories in, just make different food choices.
    Here are some tips to increase you caloric intake:
    -Stop eating diet or lite versions of food
    -When option for Milk products (cheese, milk, yogurt,etc) opt for a higher MF% choice i.e. switch skim milk to 2%
    -Add nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit and/or nut butters to you day instead of a low cal snack
    -Add olive oil to soups and sauces
    -Add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    -Have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water.
    -etc.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat full fat foods (which are better for you anyway) ie 2% milk, full fat yoghurt, some almonds. Eat whole grain foods as well, which have high fibre content and are super healthy! Snack throughout the day too!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! I don't like to spend hours putting together stuff for the week either, so I cook on Saturday or Sunday for the week: cutting and cleaning veg and/or fruit and making batches of different marinated chicken for the week, so I can cut it up and toss it on a salad.

Maybe that will keep you away from the junk?
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could incorporate lots of potatoes, rice, pasta, steaks, chicken...... some of that you can throw in a crock pot and let it cook all day... and depending on what you like you can have food for up two three or four days.... There is Meatloaves and Baked Potatoes, salads with all kinds of veggies and fruits..... incorporate alot of juice (v8 Fusion is really yummy)... My calorie intake to lose healthy is between 1500-1700 right now. So it's a matter of finding the right blend of food without high fat content, the right portion sizes, and eating 5 to 6 times a day. If you are going to continue to work out, I'm assuming to maintain you will have to still up your calories. Try eating more throughout the day, carry crackers in your purse, peanut butter is high calorie, however, my doc recommended that I carry the "to go" packs in my purse, because it is low serving size but high calories and it can help with my frequent bouts of dizziness. So you could do the crackers and peanut butter.... I really am trying to think healthy for you lol.
  • kittytompsett
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't eat a huge amount of diet stuff but I think I will start adding in full fat yogurt and nuts to lunches. I usually have dried fruit and oatcakes for lunch but I can easily add nuts.

Any other ideas are very welcome :)