• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oh, @lorrpb ! You made me SMILE!!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My husband has sacrificed a lot so that I could finally get my health in order this past year. He takes the kids to school in the mornings most days because he knows that it helps me out tremendously. He doesn't complain if I don't make food for him, he just takes care of himself. (Although he is very happy and grateful when I do.) He doesn't complain that the house is a mess, or that I'm taking too much time for myself, he just deals with it. I am a stay at home mom, and he only complains mildly about the money I have spent on protein powders, supplements, workout clothes, race entry fees, etc. because he knows it has all been essential to my weight loss and improvements in my health. I should not be able to complain, but it does make me sad that the one element missing is any encouragement from him. It would mean so much if he would bring the boys to cheer me on at a race, or to even just say, "Hey, you are awesome!" I know that I am totally sucking as a wife this year, but to tell the truth, the first 6 years were probably even worse because I was so angry and depressed. I do owe him big time, and am going to work my butt off next year to get our house in order and be a more involved mom and wife.

My husband never does anything (that is not of his own mind) without some serious pushing. So I am signing our family up for a day of racing in a couple of months. He will be doing a 5K, me a half marathon, or a 10K, and my two sons a 900 meter run. He is not excited about it, but I am hoping that it will help inspire him and my boys to join me in my fitness journey. It's going to be a long journey...a for the rest of my life journey, so I would really like to have them along for the ride. I want us to be a team that always supports and cheers one another on. <3
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 spouses and neither one was ever supportive
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive for the most part...lol. He keeps junk out of the house if I remind him that I am trying not to eat so much of it (if it's here I'm eating it as I have no will power) He will walk with me, bike with me, work out with me........However....I am the one that has to initiate all of it. He won't say...Hey, let's go for a walk, bike, whatever. We are both procrastinators which doesn't help, but if I don't say it then it won't get done.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Support to me from dh looks like:
    Him saying I love you no matter your size, I want you to be healthy and happy.
    Not complaining about my exercise or nagging me to do it.
    Not complaining about or judging my eating choices. Not complaining when I weigh food.
    Not judging my progress.
    Listening to each other.
    Sometimes he joins me in exercise. Doesn't keep me from exercising if he doesn't.

When I started losing weight we talked and as long as my goal was healthy and my method of reaching it was healthy that was all dh had to say. I did not totally change my diet or start exercising for hours every day. My dh and dd did not change their behavior.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My husband has been supportive of everything I've done in all aspects of life for 39 years of marriage. That's what makes our marriage work. Communication and understanding in all areas is important, I don't think it's an isolated issue related to weight loss. I've never seen anyone post "My hubby is totally supportive in all areas except weight loss, and in this is the one area in which he sabotages me." Just sayin'.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do have a very supportive spouse. He knows how salt affects my body and keep sit out of ALL foods he cooks. When I am having a doubt my self kinda day, he says you can do it. Once I lost several pounds and it started to show, he started weighing his foods and eating more healthy. So far this year we total 90 lbs loss. Not bad for a couple who thought they could never do it.

I don't tell him what to or not to eat. Or what to watch for. And he doesn't tell me either. We don't get after each other about exercise, but we do discuss how much we done or didn't do. We share our ups and downs on the the scale. When one of use is doubting we discuss if something may have changed and we didn't realize it. I give him his space when he is using the exercise machine. And he gives me mine. It's our alone time. We both like to walk so weather permitting we take nightly walks together. Sometimes we go at my pace, sometimes his.

I would say be supportive , but not a dictator. When asked , offer suggestions . Don't force. Be patient as not everyone loses at the same rate and not everything works for everyone.

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My DH is very supportive! He has never tried to lose weight and never needed to, but he is interested in health and fitness.

He watches the kids every day while I exercise and never complains. He eats all the healthy food I make and tells me it's delicious. He has never said a word about my weight and I have been in a 45 lb range throughout our marriage.

We don't workout together and he doesn't have or need goals like I do. But he doesn't judge mine or tell me what to do or don't do. If I'm feeling down or sore, he does tell me to take it easy and give me a back rub :)