Can I decrease body fat % without decreasing caloric intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So it's clear my caloric intake isn't accurate, but the main point is that I like the amount I eat and that's what I don't want to change. I can add weight training more intensely to my training (I was doing like 30-40 mins 2x week) and I'm gonna try to keep track of the amount of protein I eat bc I doubt I'm eating enough. I'm fairly certain my body fat is not below 25% based on images I've seen and compared with.
    That recomp board was interesting, but after reading online it seems like calorie cycling is really important and idk if I have the dedication to do that. It would also be hard since I would be lifting and running on the same days bc I'm not willing to decrease the amount of running I do. (I've got a coach and a whole training program)
    I read a little bit about progressive resistance and is the jist just to increase weight over time? @Sued0nim
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling is really not important, eating sufficient calories and protein is or you may start to fail on your training / lose more weight.

Yes at it's most effective it is about increasing weight over time (but also could be on intensity or reps)

- look at some of the progressive programmes like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength (both free and googlable) for a good idea - there's also fierce 5 on bodybuilding.com which is a pretty decent beginner's programme.

I do think though if you are in a proper marathon training programme for marathon it may be a little much to also manage ... I'd talk to your coach tbh
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercise to build muscle, your metabolism & shape will change. You still should know/make sure you are eating enough to maintain
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, why not just give this "experiment" a try based on what/how many calories you eat now. Why not add a lifting program into your running regime and see if it will work for you? You can always tweak the process or even drop weight training if it does not suit you to change the calories?

What I may do with my training (running and/or lifting) may never suit another.. Since you will NOT drop training miles, you old have the option to try it out..

Calorie cycling is not needed. Personally I would NOT change my dietary structure for the running aspect at all since this is your primary goal.

edited to throw this in there: Have you ever thought that strength training can also help your running? Well if you are willing to consider that part, talk to your coach about it, perhaps you two can actually work out a plan to do both, but tweak the calories a little bit and assure that adequate protein in in your diet..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JuliaHujar wrote: »
    So it's clear my caloric intake isn't accurate, but the main point is that I like the amount I eat and that's what I don't want to change. I can add weight training more intensely to my training (I was doing like 30-40 mins 2x week) and I'm gonna try to keep track of the amount of protein I eat bc I doubt I'm eating enough. I'm fairly certain my body fat is not below 25% based on images I've seen and compared with.
    That recomp board was interesting, but after reading online it seems like calorie cycling is really important and idk if I have the dedication to do that. It would also be hard since I would be lifting and running on the same days bc I'm not willing to decrease the amount of running I do. (I've got a coach and a whole training program)
    I read a little bit about progressive resistance and is the jist just to increase weight over time? @Sued0nim

What advice has your running coach given?
  • JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad @RoxieDawn
    My coach has me weight training 1-2 days a week with a focus on endurance in the muscles (lower weight more reps). I have been doing a full body routine with 15 reps 3 sets of all exercises.