Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Classifying food as "healthy" vs. "unhealthy": completely erroneous?

Options
ElJefeChief
ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
edited July 2016 in Debate Club
Great article at Reason magazine's website. Article basically takes a look at what happens when you take a long list of food items and then ask consumers on the one hand, and nutritionists on the other to classify the foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy." Bottom line - there's a ton of disagreement, and maybe the question really just isn't that helpful in the first place?

http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/09/experts-weigh-in-on-classifying-food-as

Some juicy quotes in the reason article:

"(It's an) erroneous notion that we can diet our way out of a sedentary lifestyle." - Edward Archer, Ph.D., chief science officer for EnduringFX

"Tofu should be outlawed." - Julie Kelly, National Review Online contributor and food/agricultural writer, Orland Park, Ill.

"Tofu is NOT a health food." - Pete Kennedy, Esq., attorney, Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund

Other fun parts of the article worthy of mention, they talk about how the coconut oil craze is overblown, how fats are now considered beneficial when previously they were considered nutritional Satan, and how a root-beer float, depending in the situation, could be considered lifesaving while a bowl of leafy green vegetables could kill you. :smiley:

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tofu?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tofu?

https://authoritynutrition.com/what-is-tofu/

Different people have different thoughts on tofu.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest it's never black and white.

If you were dying of starvation and came across a big juicy yummy bucket of frosting laden with trans fat, is it "healthy" to eat the "unhealthy" food to prevent starvation?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

If you were dying of starvation and came across a big juicy yummy bucket of frosting laden with trans fat, is it "healthy" to eat the "unhealthy" food to prevent starvation?

So then, context is important...
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    "(It's an) erroneous notion that we can diet our way out of a sedentary lifestyle." - Edward Archer, Ph.D., chief science officer for EnduringFX

What does this even mean?!?

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

It means that people are convinced that we can eat "healthy" enough, to compensate for being physically lazy as *kitten*. While it's true from a pure weightloss standpoint, it's not so much helping with the overall health of the world.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love how all the people you pulled quotes from clearing have an agenda to push, lolol
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There's no "healthy vs unhealthy" foods. There's more optimal and less optimal.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

So then, context is important...

And dosage
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Haven't read the article yet but I would guess that it means you are unlikely to be healthy with a sedentary lifestyle no matter how healthy your diet is.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    There's no "healthy vs unhealthy" foods. There's more optimal and less optimal.

This type semantic argument seems silly to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tofu?

because tofu....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have been repeating this over and over for a long time but I always says that no food is healthy or unhealthy in the context of an overall diet that meets calorie targets and micro and macro targets...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I like this quote as it is most in line with my personal views on food.

As long as the foods or beverages on the study's list do not contain large amounts of pathogens and are consumed by a healthy person, everything on the list is safe to eat. But be careful not to conflate "safe to eat" with "healthy." These terms are not synonymous.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

The problem I have with examples like this is that it's largely hypothetical. This is just not simply a realistic scenario except in an extreme case.