Confused!

Options
Can anyone please clarify my calorie allotment? I am so confused!
I would consider myself a beginner/sedentary.
I have started briskly walking for 60min every other day now that I am in my second week here on MFP.
Aside from that I do some Physiotherapy stretching.

Age 36
Female
75kgs/165lbs
5'1"
BMR 1322 (calculated online)
TDEE 1649 (calculated online)

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why not just set MFP to sedentary, set your weight loss goal to 0.5 - 1 lb per week, and then log your walks/eat 50% of the burn?

Or
    (I used this calculator so I could factor in your walks: http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ )

3 Walks a week/light difficulty/20% cut - 1370 calories a day (0.68 lb per week loss)
    3 Walks a week/light difficulty/15% cut - 1455 calories a day (0.51 lb per week loss)
    3 Walks a week/moderate difficulty/20% cut - 1421 calories a day (0.71 lb per week loss)
    3 Walks a week/moderate difficulty/15% cut - 1510 calories a day (0.53 lb per week loss)
    4 Walks a week/light difficulty/20% cut - 1404 calories a day (0.7 lb per week loss)
    4 Walks a week/light difficulty/15% cut - 1492 calories a day (0.52 lb per week loss)
    4 Walks a week/moderate difficulty/20% cut - 1473 calories a day (0.73 lb per week loss)
    4 Walks a week/moderate difficulty/15% cut - 1565 calories a day (0.55 lb per week loss)
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you.

MFP has me on 1200, seams to low imo. Although even when logging exercise/eating back some it snarkily announced I would be heavier in x weeks time although I am clearly losing weight.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For your stats, 1200 is reasonable. You are set up to lose a pound or a little less per week.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Barring glitches, the only way it would tell you you'll get heavier is if you went well over your goal. In fact, if you went over maintenance (so more than 500cal over goal if you're set to lose 1lb a week)
  • MishaWest79
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Barring glitches, the only way it would tell you you'll get heavier is if you went well over your goal. In fact, if you went over maintenance (so more than 500cal over goal if you're set to lose 1lb a week)

I should clarify it had been estimating losses higher and then I went a few calories over and got that message. Mind you I haven't weighed in for two weeks only taken measurements, they are considerably less than when I last weighed in.

dlkfox wrote: »
    For your stats, 1200 is reasonable. You are set up to lose a pound or a little less per week.

I started on 1200 and although not starving I am concerned it is too little intake to be sustainable, I could be wrong.

The other thing is after tweaking goals it still recommends 1200, could be my height?
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes height and age are factors too!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

I should clarify it had been estimating losses higher and then I went a few calories over and got that message. Mind you I haven't weighed in for two weeks only taken measurements, they are considerably less than when I last weighed in.

dlkfox wrote: »

I started on 1200 and although not starving I am concerned it is too little intake to be sustainable, I could be wrong.

The other thing is after tweaking goals it still recommends 1200, could be my height?

Have you tried putting in that you want to lose 0.5 pounds a week? My numbers jumped up 250 calories a day which is huge for me. It went from 1250 to 1500. I was miserable on 1250 so I'm hoping this is more sustainable. Although I will definitely have to carefully weigh food in grams on a kitchen scale because my deficit is low.
  • MishaWest79
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @aprilricks86 Just another perk of being vertically challenged :p

@DebSozo My losses are per kg measurement and now I think that may be the issue, see 0.5lbs is only .22kg I have had it set to .5kg which is 1.1lbs. Off to tweak it now. Thanks!

• MishaWest79
    Options
    @shadow2soul Thank you, your input has been really insightful.

Thanks to everyone the confusion has cleared, the issue has been resolved and I have some extra calories to play with, yay! <3