Are your fitbits accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've been using a fitbit for about a year. (Fitbit flex) And I've found it says I burn 1600-1900 calories a day. However, I eat 2200-2600 a day and have been maintaining? I am just wondering why there is such a big difference and if anyone else has had this problem. I have my weight entered correctly and I wear it all day and night.

I haven't used a Fitbit. But I was using an Apple Watch for a while. According to my Apple Watch on an active day, I would burn ~2200 calories. That's with moderate walking around and a 5 mile run. I've gotten it up to 2500 calories a few times. But on rest days, it said I'd burn only 1700 calories.

On average, my TDEE was maybe 2000-2100. While attempting to maintain, I'd end up eating well over that averaging about 2300 calories and I was losing just under a pound a week still.

So it was severely underestimating with me. I gave up on wearing it.

Fitness watches are all estimations that look at what an average person of your hieght and weight would burn. But everyone has different body composition and slightly different metabolisms so they're bound to be off for some.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I find mine is spot on. I got the Blaze in May and have lost about 12 pounds, using the sync to MFP.

FYI, I've been on MFP for years and using the fitbit has kept me on track and eating enough that I don't feel like I'm starving myself. I'm really happy with it.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to over estimate my TDEE. I've been eating at around a 100-350 calorie deficit (negative adjustments enabled, estimated TDEE about 2000-2400 depending on how much I walk), and I ended up maintaining my weight between endo appointments (a 6 month period). I did lose at least one dress size though, so I could have lost a little bit that was hidden by water weight.
  • klbrewer07
    klbrewer07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge user and I find that it greatly underestimates my calorie burn during weight lifting sessions and HIIT. One example is that I manually checked my heart rate yesterday (during some cardio) and it was 137 bpm -- fitbit measured it at 68 bpm. This happens A LOT! This is, however, in alignment with reviews I've read indicating the heart rate monitors on this device can be wildly inaccurate at times. Since this is how it measures workout calories (if on "workout setting") it reasons it would underestimate the actual burn. That being said, I still use the Fitbit as one of many tools. I do not, however, base calorie consumption off of its data alone.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit hr charge. I had to alter stride length and set to dominant hand and adjust again and again until I got it the closest to being accurate. I use the HR to track my circuit training once to check the calorie burn compared to mfp estimate and it was 100 cal less than mfp so I log it that way now. The sleep feature is neat, however, it logged me as asleep during a tattoo session. Most of the features I just use as a guide and fun motivation to keep myself moving and getting outside. I work 3rd shift so this has helped me come out of my daytime hermit mode.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The good thing about trackers is that they may overestimate or underestimate, but it'll be consistent. You still have a base number of steps or active minutes or calories burned to use for goal-setting, and after several weeks, you can see where you land as far as device TDEE and your actual results and adjust from there.

My Charge HR initially seemed to slightly underestimate my TDEE. I lost more from November - March than it accounted for. In March, I started eating more exercise calories and started experiencing stalls, but my weight is still going down. After comparing my Fitbit to a number of online calorie calcs, I set a max of 75% exercise cals or keeping MFP set for a 1/2 lb higher rate of loss in order to eat all. In a few more weeks, I'll look at my input/output numbers again and see how my Fitbit is doing.

I'm still happy with it, and it still motivates me to move more. The HR seems fine on mine. Using machines or just taking my own pulse, both relaxing and working out, it's always within a few beats. The step counter is tons better than the old hip pedometer I had. Much lower though I am sure it gives me a few extra steps here and there.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be accurate. I have the alta. I have it synced to mfp and absolutely eat the calories it gives me. I am still losing a pound weekly and never feel hungry.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't...not with calories or heartbeat. When I exercise, it's off by 20 beats per minute
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A very interesting question and a large number of issues are at play too!

TL;dr: accuracy will vary and a number of factors come into play... but will be relatively close for most. Eat your Fitbit calories and evaluate how badly off they appear to be. As long as you're generally heading in the right direction don't agonise too much over how fast you are achieving that: too much could be in play.

A standard way to estimate caloric consumption is to apply an activity multiplier to BMR calories.
    Fitbit (just like MFP) uses the Mifflin StJeor equation to estimate your BMR calories.

MFP then uses BMR x 1.25 as an estimate for the calories of a sedentary individual, 1.4x, 1.6x, and 1.8x for lightly active, active, and very active individuals plus deliberate exercise added on top.

Fitbit assigns you just BMR x 1 calories while you're inactive. This is an expected underestimation. Most sitting/standing/keyboarding/watching TV activities come in at BMR x 1.2 or 1.3, or more.

But, Fitbit then detects your activity and assigns you more calories while you're active. You either tell it, or it guesses, at the type of activity you are doing.

I suspect that when you tell it that you did a non step related activity, it just uses the standard compendium of physical activity tables, just like MFP and many other apps do, to estimate your burn.

But when the Fitbit has hrm and accelerometer data of its own it for the time period in question, it probably goes with that!

I believe it averages your burn over a 5 minute period and then issues calories for the 5 minutes based on that average. This average appears to me to be a slight over-estimated for most people.

But most people are only active for part of the day. And when you combine the active and inactive parts of the day... lo and behold Fitbit seems to come in quite close, while encouraging people to move a bit more :smile:

But, even assuming the Fitbit was estimating perfectly for you, would you be able to tell?

First of all your calories in would have to be counted perfectly! How do you know, were you to spot a 5% error, whether it originated from Fitbit, or from your calorie counting when you mis-judged the calories for a restaurant meal, or forgot to log the couple of beers you enjoyed at a BBQ?

Then you would have to detect your weight accurately. Because of water weight (sodium, TOM, exercise related water retention) your scale weight can change 10x faster than your underlying weight level. Are you evaluating the accuracy of your Fitbit's performance based on transient water weight? Are you using a trending weight app? is the trending weight app actually accurate?

And then you would have to know your actual body composition changes.

Because yes, we can probably assume that 3500Cal = 1lb of fat change whether up or down as fat gets stored and used up very efficiently. However, 1lb of lean mass may only yield 800Cal when burned; yet, it could take 4x to 6x more Calories in order to create 1lb of muscle mass.

In practical terms what could body composition issues mean for our results?

Well, let's take a normal weight individual who just lost 4lbs on their scale this month and is ready to compare their logged calories in to their Fitbit calories out.

4lbs... this means a 14000 Cal deficit (heck my own spreadsheet below uses this assumption because you cannot actually account for body composition most of the time!)

But if 1lb of this is a water weight error, the 14,000 was only 10,500 Cal.

And if they lost at a fat to lean mass ratio of 2:1, 1.5:1, or 1:1 (all absolutely possible outcomes when restricting calories within the normal weight range), the respective caloric deficit might have been 8600, 9680, or 10400 calories.

And that doesn't even tackle the common situation where there might be a 1.75:1 fat to lean mass loss; but, even though some lean mass is lost, you also have to account for the creation of 0.25lbs of new muscle on say the arms from doing 100 push-ups a day when in the past you did zero! because that 0.25lbs by itself may have required 4000 Cal to create!

So in the end... well, you don't really know if your 4lbs was 14,000 cal or 8600 cal :smile:

Which is where my original piece of advice came in... as long as you're heading in the right direction that's good enough... and in fact I would argue that slower is better.

And in spite of all these uncertainties, yes, I did use to use something similar to the below spreadsheet to "evaluate" my Fitbit's accuracy. Since it has been stable at an under 6% over-estimate for more than a year... I've sort of stopped looking into it and take it as a given :-)

And yes, it does count extra steps when I keyboard and it does under-count steps when I walk really fast and it is also slow to react to heart rate changes... and it still keeps coming in with a substantially less than 10% error (in fact less than 6% error in my case).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VDmqNpLPu7sbQSochUJNXdp2F7AN15AGgkvS3zLw1GU/edit#gid=0