Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mothers Apron?

Hi all,

I've lost enough weight to be considered in a normal BMI (5'5 and 142 lbs) I have a medium frame and plan on going down to 135 as a final "maintenance" weight. My question is: how do I lose the HUGE and I mean, HUGE tire-looking fat around my lower waist, it hangs and is not loose skin, it also is big enough that I have to button my pants over it. If I didn't have it I would be around a size 6 but because of it I am a size 12. I do power walk/jog on the treadmill for 2-3 miles a day around 6 days a week and 5lb free weight exercises but, it doesn't seem to do much since I might lose an inch there but, that's about it. I'm 23 and have never been pregnant. The rest of my siblings don't have it at all, they seem to gain weight in layers on their stomach rather than having rolls of fat. How can I get rid of it? Are there any workout DVD's? Diet changes I need to make? I've been eating little fruit and mostly non-starchy vegetables with lean meats that I bake.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    5 lb free weight exercises aren't going to cut it. It sounds like you've still got a bit of belly fat.

Get on a structured strength program. That can be bodyweight, such as You Are Your Own Gym; or barbell/dumbbell training, such as Strong Curves. Here's a good link with a bunch of different options: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The strength training will help maintain muscle, so you can lose primarily fat. And, since you're new, you may be able to build some muscle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    It is stretched skin with fat. The fat is stretched out along the subcutaneous surface area of the skin and the skin will not shrink up until the fat is lost. You can continue to eat in a deficit to lose fat or you can eat at maintenance and get on a good progressive resistance program to recomp (actually I suggest progressive resistance either way.) If you've hit the point where you are plain tired of eating in a deficit, recomp may be a good idea for now and then later you can go back to a deficit. That's where I am right now. I have a picture in my profile (beige tshirt dress) where you can see that I have this issue as well. It seriously sucks but all you can do is keep working at it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How much weight have you lost? Sounds like some of it could be loose skin.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    I would look into a lifting program. Some of it could be loose skin though which may never fully go away.

This is what mine looked like around your weight (I'm a half in shorter than you):
    azisi7yv7o4f.jpg

and this is what it looks like now in the 120's:
    0vrzklf5mo2q.jpg

03d16x2oup9d.jpg
  • Sunny1007
    Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
    Would a body pump class a few days a week be good to get rid of/lessen the fat tire?
  • jemhh
    Body pump is not a progressive resistance program as far as I know. My understanding is that it is cardio. It will help you burn calories but if you eat those calories it's not going to help you decrease your fat stores.
  • Sunny1007
    Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
    Are there any gym classes that would cover resistance training?
  • jemhh
    edited July 2016
    Sunny1007 wrote: »
    Are there any gym classes that would cover resistance training?

You'll have to check your gym for that. Every place is different. But you can find tons of info online and in books. A few good books are:

- Strong Curves by Brett Contreras & Kellie Davis
    - Strong by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove
    - Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
    - Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe & Andy Baker
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Body pump is not a progressive resistance program as far as I know. My understanding is that it is cardio. It will help you burn calories but if you eat those calories it's not going to help you decrease your fat stores.

Body Pump is a Barbell class. At least at my local gym. Body Pump Description So, yes, it would be a good class to take!