What to do while my partner does his set?

Options
zillah73
zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
My boyfriend and I have been working out at home doing strength/conditioning using TRX, hand weights, body weight exercises, etc. Everything is going great except one thing: only one of us can use the TRX at a time so while one of us exercises, the other is just sort of standing around. These are short breaks, but still a bit longer than traditional wait times between sets when working out solo.

Can I get some recommendations for things one of us can be doing while the other is using the TRX so that we keep moving, don't lose momentum and idle? We don't have a whole lot of space as our workout room is fairly small, and we aren't looking to add any more equipment.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would do some kind of calisthenics or pick up the DB's or some bands and work on that. Or maybe do some core / ab work while you wait for the TRX.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend and I work out together and alternate equipment, etc. I will sometimes do wall sits while I am waiting my turn. Sometimes I just stand around with a stupid look on my face, though. ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would invest in some dumbbells and create a super set using them and the TRX.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I do sets with others, I typically will stretch while they do their sets. It keeps me moving, keeps the blood flowing, and is good for the muscles. You could also consider doing exercises that don't require equipment, like squats, push-ups, jumping jacks, crunches, burpees, etc.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    zillah73 wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I have been working out at home doing strength/conditioning using TRX, hand weights, body weight exercises, etc.

Is there a reason both of you have to be doing the same exercise at the same time? If you're doing TRX, hand weights, body weight, etc., I'm guessing you have a circuit? Why don't you both start at a different part of the circuit?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like stretching during that time. Keeps the muscles lose/makes them loser if needed. Helps with repair down the road too.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Planks.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the rest between sets
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think I'm missing something. How long does each person's set (thus, the other's rest) last? And how long is your normal rest period? My sets don't usually last more than half a minute - unless I'm doing a particularly high amount of reps. And in that case, no more than a minute. And outside of EMOM training, I don't rest for less than a minute.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why is resting not an option?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    jog in place, or play candy crush.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is some great feedback, everyone. Thanks a million! The only reason I don't just rest is – honestly – my boyfriend is a bit of a lolly-gagger. I get in and out for my sets but he farts around with the straps, making sure they aren't twisted and are perfectly straight, etc. It cracks me up, I think it's just his meticulous nature, but it does make for some longer waits between sets.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Boxer's shuffle, jogging in place, high knees (just to stay moving), jumping jacks (to be moving more) burpees (to take moving to an extreme) planks, (to strengthen your core), arm swings with side steps (to stay limber) any exercise/movement you want to do, or just watch the show going on if you don't want to move.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tell him to get his *kitten* in gear. You're welcome!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    why is resting not an option?

This. work a lot harder then you'll need that rest. B)
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Make a list of potential exercises. Off the top of my head:

Cardio: Mountain Climbers, Jump Rope, Jumping Jacks, Burpies, side to side jumps,
    Abs: Plank, Side Plank, Sit Ups, Mason Twist etc. Look Up P90X's Abs Ripper X for more ideas.
    Legs: Air Squats, Jumping Squats, Lunges, Jumping Lunges, Wall Sits
    Upper Body: Push Ups (wall or knee pushups if you can't do regular), Bodyweight Rows if you have something to hold on to
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What do you think is the traditional resting time between sets when working alone?