Eating healthy in front of others

Options
Anyone notice that some people seem agitated or really question you when you are eating really healthy in front of them. I guess its the guilt of stuffing grease and beef down their throats when I'm sitting there barely taking in any fat and processed food.

Sort of annoying..

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    haters gonna hate..... :smokin:

Be the spark that lights their ignition to weight loss!!!

Hang in there..... sending you hugs!!! :flowerforyou:
  • anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing sometimes but have just com to the realization that most of the time it's because others are jealous they don't have the willpower to do it themselves. Keep doing what you're doing and encourage them to try some of your healthy foods you're eating!
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It annoys me a bit when people say "oh you're eating again" and things, it's like, yeah.. I'm eating an apple not crisps and I've lost weight and am doing fine at it thank you so please don't lecture me!!

I just ignore them!! :)
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    ....or envy at your ability and will to resist those fatty foods....don't let the opinions of others influence your goals ....:-}
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't get that very often, but people give me some strange looks when they see me putting spinach, carrots, green peppers and cucumbers on my burger!
  • BroncoMan
    BroncoMan Posts: 25
    Options
    Ive gotten to where I hate it when Im at someone's house and they ask me if I want something to eat. First, I can't log my food like I want to, and two, I probably don't want what they're fixin'.

I much prefer to eat at home now-a-days!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You need some better friends.... or family.... :wink:
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't find it annoying at all,I get comments all the time .Maybe it will make them think anout their choices and maybe it won't either way its all ok.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wake up! Time to get some new friends! A real friend would support you and not criticize.
  • Maddy__H
    Maddy__H Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do have that quite often in the canteen... When everyone is going for fish and chips and I am happily sticking to the salad buffet! I like to believe they are just jealous they can't stick to the good things!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I say just keep doing it right and lead them by your example!
    Way to go keeping it healthy and aiming for your goal no matter what.

You are doing great and no one can take that away from your without your permission

Keep on....keepin' on....
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice that some people seem agitated or really question you when you are eating really healthy in front of them. I guess its the guilt of stuffing grease and beef down their throats when I'm sitting there barely taking in any fat and processed food.

Sort of annoying..

Today, my husband, son and I spent three hours doing my mother's yard work and then hassling with adding her computer to our antivirus subscription. She asked FOUR times if I was SURE I didn't want her to spring for fast food. "Are you sure you can't have just something?"

No, Ma. Thank you. Unlike you and the rest of the family, I am actually taking this diabetes thing seriously--my meals are planned out, my carbs are counted for every meal, my calories are predetermined, and I don't have any room in all that for crappy McDonald's food. I don't want my doctor slamming me on increasingly strong drugs to control my blood sugar until finally, one lousy day, the drugs don't work anymore and I wind up dead. Like so many relatives who've gone that route. Love you.

Kris
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    one recent family dinner I left pretty hungry: bbq chicken-skin on & sauce dripping, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, creamy green bean casserole, sweet tea, pasta salad and cake & ice cream for dessert.
    I picked at some food, moved it around on the place and drank a lot of water. What can you do sometimes??

My plan is to hide a protein bar in my purse for future occasions like this so I can sneak it and at least my stomach won't growl.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My friends are usually okay with it, but my family can be like that sometimes. At first I felt bad about it. Now I just know...

118dbx4.jpg
  • Dangerously15
    Options
    I get that when I go over to someones house or when I go out to eat, but you just need to stick to your guns and when they keep asking you if you want MORE food just say no. And when they keep staring at you because of how little your eating just ignore it. :wink:
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Often people who are eating non-healthy food just can't even imagine that the food we are eating can taste good and/or be filling. I know that because... been there/done that! lol :ohwell: They may well be thinking that to lose weight all we can eat are leaves of lettuce and an occasional carrot stick!! Maybe they should have a peek at some of our food diaries! :laugh:
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It is people doing this that made me gain weight to start with. I used to be skinny but then I moved into a hostel and people always commented on my portion sizes and salads. I got so sick of people commenting on what i was eating that I started eating more like them and now I have paid for it.
    You just have to ignore what people say and stick in there!!
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The other night I went to the movies with DH. We were on a budget and he was kinda grumpy about it. He asked me if I wanted anything to drink? I said I'd like a bottle of water. He said in a real crabby tone, "I'm not paying $3 for a bottle of water!" That hurt. He knows I haven't had a soda since March. We were going to share a drink and he didn't want to drink water. I, of course, informed him that I spent my last $2 getting him a LARGE cherry slushy the other day at Sonic. Then he tried to buy me a bottle of water and I refused him. We both went without a drink and popcorn and the movie was still really good.

BTW, he is usually so supportive.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is being at restaurants or others' homes, our choices become more limited. A lot of us are not only trying to eat healthy, but possibly also have other constraints as well (celiac, different degrees of plant based eating, etc.) so it stands to reason that maybe the only thing we can find on a menu or at a party is salad or steamed broccoli. If they saw what I cooked at home, they would covet it. :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Bring along something to eat that you can carry in your bag. Then when someone tries to pressure you with food outside of your plan, you can say, "I know my dietary requirements are different, so I brought something along to eat. Thanks for offering though."

I always give them the benefit of the doubt and think they are trying to be hospitable and not intentionally sabotaging me. They might even try to have something healthy on hand for you the next time.