Sugar "Goal"

Options
1235»

Replies

• grigglipuff
    grigglipuff Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry all, I guess I wasn't clear. I understand you can still lose & eat all the sugar you want as long as you're in a deficit. My concern was for my overall health, not just weight loss - limiting sugar to prevent health issues.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I think you'll find that if you focus on what's going into your diet rather than trying to exclude things, sugar won't be an issue. For example, focus on getting enough protein to hit your daily protein goal. Focus on getting enough veggies to hit your daily fiber goal. Focus on hitting your daily fat goal. Focus on balancing your macros so you feel full while staying under calories. Check in on your micronutrients. When you do all of those things, you're concerning yourself with your overall health. In the process, you won't consume very much sugar. If you do, you'll do so intentionally and knowing it's fitting in a balanced, nutritious diet. I think that's what a lot of other posters are saying - we don't track sugar because we don't need to. Because we focus on staying at our calorie goals first and getting nutrition in second, we end up consuming sugar in limited amounts.

Very good mindset. Thank you!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Why is sugar concerning you most? If your goal is weight loss, shouldn't it be calories?

You can amend any of the goals to suit if you go into your settings. The MFP goal will be based on all sugar consumed and it will build up in your diary from a large number of incorrect data entries .. there is no way to separate intrinsic from added sugar before you ask

Personally I set my protein and fats as minimums based on grams per bodyweight calculations, I eat a generally nutritious diet with a wide range of vegetables and foods, I don't exclude or worry about anything that doesn't matter (no medical conditions) and I totally ignore anything but calories and hitting those minimums.

Sugar concerns me the most for all of the negative impacts it has on my health. Yes, I have a weightloss goal, but my goal is overall physical health. Sugar's links to cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. are what concern me most.
    Can you post sources (scientific studies)to the bolded, please? My mother had cancer and she recently died of heart disease. The only sugar she consumed was in fruit. SO...........
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I don't track sugar at all. It doesn't impact your weight loss, in the end it's about the calorie intake. Unless you have a medical condition and NEED to track your sugar intake, I don't see why you'd bother. I always go over my sugar because I eat a lot of fruits so I don't bother looking at it anymore.

Bolded is poppycock. Don't believe it... Added sugar (not what's in fruit) will impact your weight loss. And your health.

Sorry, but this is absolute BS. Have you ever heard about the guy who lost weight eating nothing but twinkies within his calorie goal?
    Sugar does NOT impact weight loss unless you eat over your maintenance calories. I never cut out sugar and lost 90lbs (and am still losing). I'm no special snowflake, I just believe in math and science. I count calories since calories are KING when it comes to weight loss...

I am sorry for your loss.

There appears to be a correlation (link).
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0057873
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1455.short
    AHA sugests cutting sugar intake by over two thirds.
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.short
    There is a link to some cancer too.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0306987783900956

I didn't look at all of these, but the one I looked at was about added sugar, as I suspected. It's misleading to claim that "sugar" is an issue. Eating more fruit and vegetables is typically linked to positive health outcomes.

Also, the one I looked at made a point of talking about how the major source of extra sugar in the US diet is sugar sweetened beverages. That's relevant, because the curve on that is that there's a minority of people who are very heavy users and many who never drink sugar-sweetened beverages at all, or in moderation. Sugar consumption varies quite a lot, in part because of that.

Anyway, if OP is getting adequate protein, vegetables, and healthy fats, eating appropriate calories, and feeling good, I see 0 reason for her to worry about sugar, especially intrinsic sugar (i.e., in fruits, veg, and dairy).

(Sugar is sugar, but added sugar often comes from sources that are high cal--usually due to fat as much as sugar--and not particularly micronutrient-dense.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry all, I guess I wasn't clear. I understand you can still lose & eat all the sugar you want as long as you're in a deficit. My concern was for my overall health, not just weight loss - limiting sugar to prevent health issues.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I think you'll find that if you focus on what's going into your diet rather than trying to exclude things, sugar won't be an issue. For example, focus on getting enough protein to hit your daily protein goal. Focus on getting enough veggies to hit your daily fiber goal. Focus on hitting your daily fat goal. Focus on balancing your macros so you feel full while staying under calories. Check in on your micronutrients. When you do all of those things, you're concerning yourself with your overall health. In the process, you won't consume very much sugar. If you do, you'll do so intentionally and knowing it's fitting in a balanced, nutritious diet. I think that's what a lot of other posters are saying - we don't track sugar because we don't need to. Because we focus on staying at our calorie goals first and getting nutrition in second, we end up consuming sugar in limited amounts.

Very well said. This has been my approach, not to cut anything specific out other than calories, but rather to focus on adding things to my habits. More protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. By focusing on those first, while still allowing for the foods I enjoy in moderation, I found it to be very straightforward to Lose the weight I set out to lose, improve my overall health and fitness, and seamlessly transition into maintenance.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Why is sugar concerning you most? If your goal is weight loss, shouldn't it be calories?

You can amend any of the goals to suit if you go into your settings. The MFP goal will be based on all sugar consumed and it will build up in your diary from a large number of incorrect data entries .. there is no way to separate intrinsic from added sugar before you ask

Personally I set my protein and fats as minimums based on grams per bodyweight calculations, I eat a generally nutritious diet with a wide range of vegetables and foods, I don't exclude or worry about anything that doesn't matter (no medical conditions) and I totally ignore anything but calories and hitting those minimums.

Sugar concerns me the most for all of the negative impacts it has on my health. Yes, I have a weightloss goal, but my goal is overall physical health. Sugar's links to cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. are what concern me most.
    Can you post sources (scientific studies)to the bolded, please? My mother had cancer and she recently died of heart disease. The only sugar she consumed was in fruit. SO...........
    I don't track sugar at all. It doesn't impact your weight loss, in the end it's about the calorie intake. Unless you have a medical condition and NEED to track your sugar intake, I don't see why you'd bother. I always go over my sugar because I eat a lot of fruits so I don't bother looking at it anymore.

Bolded is poppycock. Don't believe it... Added sugar (not what's in fruit) will impact your weight loss. And your health.

Sorry, but this is absolute BS. Have you ever heard about the guy who lost weight eating nothing but twinkies within his calorie goal?
    Sugar does NOT impact weight loss unless you eat over your maintenance calories. I never cut out sugar and lost 90lbs (and am still losing). I'm no special snowflake, I just believe in math and science. I count calories since calories are KING when it comes to weight loss...

When my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, one of the first things the doctor from Sloan Kettering said was no sugar. Although I hadn't eaten food with added sugar in a few years prior to her diagnosis (not due to any medical condition), it sure did affirm my belief in my decision to cut out sugar and grains.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

When my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, one of the first things the doctor from Sloan Kettering said was no sugar. Although I hadn't eaten food with added sugar in a few years prior to her diagnosis (not due to any medical condition), it sure did affirm my belief in my decision to cut out sugar and grains.

that is funny, when I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma they told me to eat ice cream and other calorie dense foods, because they wanted me to keep my weight up.

The fact is that there a thousands of reasons that one can get cancer from genetics, to cell replication, to family history, etc; and to try to single out sugar as the sole cause is ridiculous.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

that is funny, when I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma they told me to eat ice cream and other calorie dense foods, because they wanted me to keep my weight up.

The fact is that there a thousands of reasons that one can get cancer from genetics, to cell replication, to family history, etc; and to try to single out sugar as the sole cause is ridiculous.

There are a notion or misunderstanding that cancer cells feed off of sugar.. but they actually feed off of glucose. Or the doctors intent was to try and increase nutrient uptake.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yep my dads oncologist told him the same thing..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

There are a notion or misunderstanding that cancer cells feed off of sugar.. but they actually feed off of glucose. Or the doctors intent was to try and increase nutrient uptake.

Yes I agree and I think it's quite paternalistic for consultants to be going lowest common denominator. Although at times of crisis we tend to hold on to the easiest to understand possibility of help, so I think rather than a scientific fact it's proferred as a salve, something the 'patient' can control that really can do no harm, and may do some good by increasing other nutrients
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yes I agree and I think it's quite paternalistic for consultants to be going lowest common denominator. Although at times of crisis we tend to hold on to the easiest to understand possibility of help, so I think rather than a scientific fact it's proferred as a salve, something the 'patient' can control that really can do no harm, and may do some good by increasing other nutrients

When diagnosed with a life threatening illness it is very common to blame yourself and something you did to cause it. You can have some very irrational thoughts. Of course my eating habits were part of that. My doctors said over and over that "sugar" had nothing to do with it.

I agree that some docs may say it so the patient eats better. I think that is lazy.

Feeling thankful that my doctors were honest and direct about the risks around sugar. I would be upset if they told me something false to try and change my eating habits.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why didnt my dad's doctor tell him to cut back on sodium or protein/fat, or carbs in general or any other manner of foods? Obviously the doctor didn't say "cut out sugar" and send my dad on his merry way, this was just a small part of a larger treatment plan.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Haha...I eat watermelon and then MFP reminds me of my sugar goal!!! it makes me feel like a kid getting told OFF . SHOULD YOU BE EATING THAT.?
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I personally belive that it's Important to differentiate between natural sugar and added sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup). I avoid anything with HFCS. I get most of my sugar from fruit (which includes fiber). It all impacts the way the body breaks it down and process it. If anyone is interested, you should watch "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on YouTube...it is very informative.

I also understand the argument of CICO dieting. I agree that you can lose weight of you eat less calories than you burn...makes perfect sense. But it is Important to realize that just because you are losing weight, doesn't mean you're getting all the nutrients you need. I could eat my allowed calories in doughnuts, but nutritionally I would be unhealthy (yet still losing weight).

I personally like to eat "whole" foods such as veggies, meat/poultry, and fruits. I try to limit my bread/carbs, processed foods and added sugar. This is just my opinion...it works for me and it is a philosophy I believe in.