Maintenance Eating on Long Vacation

Options
So I'm gonna be on vacation for at least 4 weeks - literally staying with someone else far from home. I'm really considering eating at maintenance. First there will be lots of celebrations and I really don't want to bring my scale. My goal is just to not gain weight.

My question is for those of you who have vacationed this year, especially for longer than a week, how did you handle it? Did you calorie restrict, maintain, or eat whatever you wanted? And how did that affect your weight?

Replies

• koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of the last two months away from home. I did a week long mission trip, then two weeks at my parents, a week at home, a week with my boyfriend's family, and then a four day conference. I did try (kind of) to stick to my goal, but I didn't stress about it as long as I didn't go over maintenance. I came back from +4lbs, most (if not all) of which was water weight that came off again within a week (lots of eating out and alcohol involved in those two months).
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I'm finishing up a two week vacation. I was able to cook a lot of my meals and make time for nice walks and hikes. I brought my food scale and it was well worth the effort. I know for sure I've lost several inches staying on track. Can't wait to see what my weigh-in day looks like
  • xxsplease
    xxsplease Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I vacation a lot. I stay thin by eating only when I am very hungry and leaving the table when I am satisfied, not full.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We went to FL for week, cooked meals, I tracked everything. Came home and had lost a pound. :smile:
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    On vacation: no scale; no cooking, except for breakfast; no logging; portion control; not much exercise except for walking and in general not gaining for than 2 lbs.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Wow you are all awesome! I definitely plan to stick to a lot of my current eating habits. And although I don't know how I will lift, I will go running often.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Went on a cruise for 2 weeks. Limited alcohol, sweets, bread and starchy stuff, only because I know they can be calorie bombs and are my weakness. Ate salads, protein - sort of lo carb. On the last day, I ate a treat meal, including seafood alfredo, baked alaska for dessert, wine and champagne, cuz I knew I was getting off the boat the next day and wouldnt have access to all those wonderful meals anymore! I lost weight too, and had just as much fun (maybe more) because I wasnt feeling guilty about blowing my calorie budget. I dont go on vacation for the food (gosh, if you have ever been to Cuba you know THATS true!!) so the idea of going on a vacation and giving up on my goals for losing weight just never crossed my mind. You dont have to do both.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had good intentions: exercise daily as much as possible, track every calorie and maintenance eating.

I exercised and was walking everywhere, had great Fitbit burn numbers. I tracked everything as best I could. But I basically ate everything, too. Way overdid it. Ice cream was like a new macro in my food diary.