What's the Best Way to Build Endurance?

Options
I don't know what is the best way to build endurance.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Endurance for what?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Gradually build up your distance.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. Gradually build up time/distance for whatever it is you're trying to build endurance for (i.e. cycling, rowing, running, walking, etc.)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Endure.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Gradually do more of it for longer periods of time
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Define endurance. Do you mean being able to run a marathon (or a similar steady state goal)? If so I would stick with straight up steady state cardio, gradually increasing time or distance.

If you want to be stronger for less predictable things (for me it's mountain biking) you should add in HIIT. This with help your body get used to training in higher heart rate zones and facilitate faster recovery.

Hope this helps!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    single track has the best answer so far...begin with steady state cardio...work a C25k program... that's short for from couch to 5 kilometer (run). to begin with... within the concept of c25k time is not a factor other than noting that you ran the whole 5 km... in order to begin to train for performance roll in HIIT training...

so what I am saying is simple... you can get off the couch and travel 5 km in say.. an hour... that works out to an average of 1mile/20 minutes of effort... by engaging in the couch to 5k... you could reduce that time to 1/2 that ( 1mile/10 minutes)... if you want to further reduce that... to say... 5-7 minutes/mile you are going to have to begin HIIT training...

I see HIIT form this perspective... getting fit... we will all at one point get to a point where we are leading active lifestyles... we run... we play sports, we find recreational activities... and we begin to ask ourselves HOW do we get to the next level... HIIT takes you to the next level... so.. steady state cardio... then HIIT to kick it up a notch
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Gradually do more of it for longer periods of time

Agreed... more volume, generally at a slower pace/lower intensity.