Pizza Time

Options

Replies

• xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    anlymc13 wrote: »
    Pita pizzas are the bees knees...

I'm thinking thats the route I'm going to go down come Sat night. I'm contemplating making my own cause I used to do that every weekend.

Now I just need to come up with an alternative to chicken wings.... I can't eat pizza without wings

• Kritterc73
    Kritterc73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's been an long time, but I used to use a soft Greek flatbread (the brand is not coming to me right now, thicker than most pita bread), brush it with olive oil and add great ingredients (light cheese, marinara and pineapple is my fav). I would just eat half with a salad and store the rest. The key was to use toppings sparingly so as to give it that "crust" that pizza has, not saturate it with toppings. This is great on the grill too!! I've got to do this again this weekend!!
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Kritterc73 wrote: »
    It's been an long time, but I used to use a soft Greek flatbread (the brand is not coming to me right now, thicker than most pita bread), brush it with olive oil and add great ingredients (light cheese, marinara and pineapple is my fav). I would just eat half with a salad and store the rest. The key was to use toppings sparingly so as to give it that "crust" that pizza has, not saturate it with toppings. This is great on the grill too!! I've got to do this again this weekend!!

SO many ideas! And here I am thinking one way. Never thought of the greek bread. Bread and stuff is starting to scare me alittle so I need to watch myself. It's one of those things I can't say no to. Nothing like soft bread.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WHOLEWHEAT PITTA BREAD PIZZA
    just as good as the real thing!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are some protein flatbreads out there that have 200 calories and 15g of protein!

I still prefer making my own though. I use this recipe http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45499 for a very thin crust. I made myself a 9 inch pizza the other day for 650 calories, and that was with 2 ounces of cheese (can put way less), some tomato sauce, and 2 ounces of steak.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the chicken wings but I'm uncontrollable around them so instead of getting wings AND pizza (sigh) I usually make myself a side salad and add some grilled chicken breast soaked in Frank's and use 14g crumbled blue cheese on it to sooth my broken heart. Also I know you're not quite up to cauliflower pizza dough yet but I'm telling you its the bees knees. you can season/customize it to your needs and it freezes fantastically. I usually make personal pizza size so I can have pizza anytime plus when my SO and I make it he gets what he wants and I get what I want.
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I make pizza bagels out of Weight Watchers Whole Wheat bagels (130 cals per bagel) :)
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Naan bread makes a great pizza crust and it's a little thicker. Toast in the oven for a bit, top it with a ton of veggies and a controlled amount of cheese plus a little ham, pepperoni etc if you want. Bake until the cheese is melts and the crust is crispy. I make one that comes in at around 600 calories for the whole thing.
  • jessdvr1
    jessdvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always use a taco/wrap (mine have only 99 calories!) add some tomato puree, a bit of feta/mozarella and tons of spinach and other veg. It takes only 10 minutes in the oven and super low calorie
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    try making these in muffin tins, add a slice of turkey pepperoni on them, and dip them in fresh tomato puree with spcies/herbs. Great and low carb

Zero Carb Cheesy Egg Chips
    *Refrigerated
    4 Egg whites
    *Baking & Spices
    1 Salt and pepper to taste if desired
    *Dairy
    2 tbsp Cheese of your flavor choice
    *Liquids
    1/2 tbsp Water to thin it out a little

Preheat your oven to 400 and ready a non stick medium size muffin pan
    Whisk together your egg whites, water, and whatever seasoning you want to flavor
    With a syringe, fill each muffin cup with approx 2.5ml of the egg white mixture, needs to be just enough to cover the bottom.
    Sprinkle a small pinch of the cheese you desire onto each egg white
    Bake for 15 minutes to acquire a good crunch without burning, but check them every couple of minutes to make sure.
    Remove from oven once they are at your preferred crunch, and enjoy them with any low carb dip or solely on their own.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I don't skimp when it comes to pizza, though I often switch out ingredients for healthier versions. Like for a base, I use a low sodium tomato sauce mixed with low-sodium spicy seasoning, part-skim mozzarella, turkey-based pepperoni and lots of veggies.
  • Sirick86
    Sirick86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I'm a pizza addict, 3x a week before my dieting. The best alternative I've found so far is the cauliflower recipe. I haven't tried it yet but it's the healthiest I've come across. It's a pain, I know lol I was on P'Huts website yesterday about to order and stopped myself lol
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Curious.. What does bees knees mean?

Lol! It means it's good!
  • SmokerOfDoobies
    SmokerOfDoobies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually make pizza for a living. Lol You can use a tortilla as the base and eat the entire thing for less than 500 cals. My favorite is one I call the holiday. I brush garlic and olive oil on a tortilla (instead of red sauce). Then add your mozzarella. I cut roma tomatoes and mix it with minced garlic and fresh basil. Add that to your pizzer along with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, red onions, and a few small dabs of ricotta. It'll knock yer socks off and its very filling. :smiley:
  • kharve09
    kharve09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh I love pizza :smile: We made this pizza the other night, and it was awesome. It's part mozzarella and part smoked gouda cheese. We used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and added extra onion and jalapeno peppers. It came to around 250 calories a slice, I think. Oh, and I make my own pizza dough, but she has a link to hers if you want to try it. http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/03/11/homemade-bbq-chicken-pizza/
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    there is only one rule for pizza the more u have it the better u feel. which reminds me ill be doing 48'' pizza with my friend soon, we tried once and failed this time i preparing for it
  • Daddyspepper
    Daddyspepper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is a really good recipe for pizza crust I tried the other night....1 cup greek yogurt and 1 1/2 cups self rising flour. Came out crispy and was quick to make.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2499418 ive made this for my husband before. He is diabetic. Its not the same but its pretty good for what it is.
  • ninhogorgfan
    ninhogorgfan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for lower fat/low sodium pizza. I'm giving it a try now. Recipe can be found here:

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-sodium-pizza-359192