Runners - fueling question

Options
l_stanz
l_stanz Posts: 17 Member
I'm currently training for my first half (my longest run so far was only 7 miles, so I've got a ways to go!). I'm having a hard time with how to fuel my runs properly. Due to scheduling, I have to run in the morning. Usually, all I have is a cup of coffee b/c (TMI), it gets things moving so I don't need a bathroom break while I run. Other than that, I usually don't eat anything. I have never been an early morning eater - I just have no appetite and eating makes me queasy. On top of that, if I eat less than an hour before my run, I get really nauseous while running.

I'm finding my runs to be more of a struggle lately. I crapped out at 3.5 miles today - I just had nothing left in the tank. I hydrate during my runs and have slowly started introducing GU energy chews during my longer runs (but I'm even nervous having one of those, given my sensitive stomach). I don't know if I'm dragging because I'm not fueling my runs properly, or because of the heat and humidity. Of course, there's always the possibility I'm also just a crappy runner :smiley:

Any suggestions? I hate that even my short runs feel like a struggle these days, and it makes me question whether I'll be ready for my half in September :(

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Are you on a calorific deficit - are you eating to lose weight?
  • l_stanz
    Options
    I don't really track my intake. I'm not looking to lose any weight. I'm 35, female, 5'8", between 140-145. My weight is pretty consistent, so I assume I'm eating at maintenance.
  • l_stanz
    Options
    And don't know if it's relevant, but I also lift heavy 3x a week (though I'll be dialing back legs as I get closer to the half). I prefer lifting but agreed to do the half with a family member. I like running well enough but I'm not doing it for any weight loss goals.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need anything but water at those short distances
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat something small, like a few pieces of fruit or some nuts, half an hour before your run while you have your coffee. Also, are you eating enough in general? You might want to up your calories a little bit and see how you feel.

I know others will disagree, but you shouldn't need chews, gels, etc. when you're only running 7 miles.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    l_stanz wrote: »
    I don't really track my intake. I'm not looking to lose any weight. I'm 35, female, 5'8", between 140-145. My weight is pretty consistent, so I assume I'm eating at maintenance.

the reason I ask is that losing weight whilst training for a distance run often means that one or the other (weight loss or the running) suffers. Since this doesn't seem to be the case i would look at how much rest and recuperation you are getting.

The heat/humidity you mention is likely to be a factor but there is little that you can do about that since you're already running early morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I don't think bonking at 3.5 miles is a matter of eating or not eating before your run. I could be a result of your diet overall...or it could be other things. Heat and humidity are going to impact performance...are you getting enough sleep? What's your programming like? Are you taking rest days and getting adequate recovery?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

What you're describing looks more like significant deficit than anything else, although personally I'll do up to 10 miles pretty much fasted.

You may need to make sure you're actually compensating for the running, rather than solving the problem by using supplementary fuel. The practical issue is that if you're burning out at 3 miles, you're not going to be able to replace that from gels etc.

Again for long training runs up to 20 miles I'll have something the night before, and then some porridge and fruit before I go out the door. The latter is largely psychological as it's not going to process in time for the run. I avoid taking fuel onboard during those sessions, but the breakfast is starting to kick in to my system after about 2 hours.

For a race the gels/ chews/ food are a bonus so the only reason to use them in training are to be sure of no distress issues. I'll try and take on board about 300 cals per hour for a long race, about 400 in total for a half, so about 250 in the first hour and then another 150 in the later stage of the race.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You have to eat something--I try to target around 200 calories because I don't want something huge sloshing around my stomach... A banana and a small granola bar... A mini bagel with some jelly/preserves... You could always try some gels or shot bloks in lieu of real food if that works better for you.

As you start building up your mileage (runs over an hour long), you should probably start thinking about adding fuel to your run (now is the time to experiment to see what you can tolerate--never try out gels for the first time during your race). I run a half marathon in about 1:45 and I take a single shot blok (33 cals) (washed down with a bit of water) at 45 minutes, 60 minutes, 75 minutes, 90 minutes.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I just want to caution against running a half marathon while on an active cut (I know you said you are not actively trying to lose right now). I've done it--I'm much faster when I am eating at maintenance!
  • l_stanz
    Options
    Eat something small, like a few pieces of fruit or some nuts, half an hour before your run while you have your coffee. Also, are you eating enough in general? You might want to up your calories a little bit and see how you feel.

I know others will disagree, but you shouldn't need chews, gels, etc. when you're only running 7 miles.

Nuts didn't occur to me (b/c I'm not a huge fan of them, LOL) but that might work. I've done half a banana in the past but that feels like lead. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't feel like I need the chews at 7 miles but I wanted to try them out early, instead of waiting until too close to the race (so I could get a sense of if/when I should take them, you know?). Do you recommend avoiding gels/chews completely for a half? Or just introduce them at longer distances?
  • mellyrunsfar
    mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Heat and humidity always make me feel drained during a run. One option to help this is trying to find ways to keep cool during your run. Pour water on yourself from water fountains, creeks, water spickets on buildings, where ever you can find it. It is refreshing and will help to keep your core temp a little cooler. I used to shy away from this until I ramped up mileage on trails. Now I never pass up an opportunity to cool off in a creek. Have a great time at your race!
  • l_stanz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think bonking at 3.5 miles is a matter of eating or not eating before your run. I could be a result of your diet overall...or it could be other things. Heat and humidity are going to impact performance...are you getting enough sleep? What's your programming like? Are you taking rest days and getting adequate recovery?

I suspect that the weather may be the bigger culprit than my fueling, now that everyone mentions it :) I'm a delicate flower - anything over 70 degrees and I feel zapped of energy. And the last few runs have been in 80+ with over 85% humidity. Maybe I need to accept that Mother Nature has it in for me ;)

I lift heavy 3x a week, run 3 days and take one full rest day. I feel like I'm adequately recovered but maybe I need to reassess. I think I'm getting enough sleep; I average 8-9 hours a night.
  • l_stanz
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You have to eat something--I try to target around 200 calories because I don't want something huge sloshing around my stomach... A banana and a small granola bar... A mini bagel with some jelly/preserves... You could always try some gels or shot bloks in lieu of real food if that works better for you.

As you start building up your mileage (runs over an hour long), you should probably start thinking about adding fuel to your run (now is the time to experiment to see what you can tolerate--never try out gels for the first time during your race). I run a half marathon in about 1:45 and I take a single shot blok (33 cals) (washed down with a bit of water) at 45 minutes, 60 minutes, 75 minutes, 90 minutes.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I just want to caution against running a half marathon while on an active cut (I know you said you are not actively trying to lose right now). I've done it--I'm much faster when I am eating at maintenance!

Thanks! I can't even IMAGINE doing a half in 1:45 - I'm just hoping not to puke, cry, or die during the race!

I wanted to experiment with the chews now, well in advance of the run. I think I have a bit of a mental block about taking them, b/c I've heard so many horror stories. I take half of one and immediately start convincing myself that I'm going to have tummy troubles! I knew running was a mental game but this is a bit much :p
  • l_stanz
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for the feedback. I guess I need to look at my overall diet. I thought I was doing okay but I obviously need to reassess. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions!
  • l_stanz
    Options
    Heat and humidity always make me feel drained during a run. One option to help this is trying to find ways to keep cool during your run. Pour water on yourself from water fountains, creeks, water spickets on buildings, where ever you can find it. It is refreshing and will help to keep your core temp a little cooler. I used to shy away from this until I ramped up mileage on trails. Now I never pass up an opportunity to cool off in a creek. Have a great time at your race!

Thanks! I've been taking advantage of the fact that a lot of people have their sprinklers on when I go running, LOL. I mean, I'm not running through their yard but I definitely don't avoid the spray on the sidewalk!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Nuts didn't occur to me (b/c I'm not a huge fan of them, LOL) but that might work. I've done half a banana in the past but that feels like lead. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't feel like I need the chews at 7 miles but I wanted to try them out early, instead of waiting until too close to the race (so I could get a sense of if/when I should take them, you know?). Do you recommend avoiding gels/chews completely for a half? Or just introduce them at longer distances?

I don't think gels and chews are necessary during a half. I've never found it necessary to eat or drink anything besides water during a half. I don't use any fuel, unless I'm running longer than 2.5ish hours because I don't find that it makes a difference for me. However, if you want to use them during your race then do so. If you're a slower runner then you might benefit from taking fuel during a half because you'll be running for a longer amount of time. Plenty of people use them during halves (and at much shorter distances when totally unnecessary like 5ks). I think a lot of people over rely on fuel during races and use it way more than is necessary.

It's totally normal to feel more tired or drained when it's hot and humid. You'll adjust, but it'll still suck. You'll be ready in September. Also, it'll be much less hot and humid in September. If you can run 7 miles now, you can finish a half. It's also normal to have a few days or a week where you runs are just crappy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Agreed. Problems at just 3.5 miles is not a fueling issue. It might be an overal calorie/diet issue, but it's not a "how do I fuel my runs" thing.

If you think weather/heat/temps are the problem, you can, to a large extent, train your body to better handle them. If it's a metal thing, then you just need to get over it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on proper hydration the day before your run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Crapping out at 3.5 miles this morning could be that you were just having an off day. Not hydrated as well as your thought, perhaps the weather/heat conditions are different or sleep was not very good. Or you are possibly out of energy balance for the calories you consume. If this happens each time you run now, then you should do a wellness check per se on yourself.. i.e. check the calories, hydration, sleep, over training maybe, etc..

To fuel for a 7 mile run (where you are mileage wise in your training) there is no special diet or timing. This is a pretty short run and every mile you add to that in your training you also train the body to not need special fueling since you are fasting essentially before the run.

I eat nothing before my half races.

Are you running the race fasted? If so this is how you should train. Eat right and hydrate the day before and hydrate some more the day of the race, but keep training fasted if this is how you are going to run the race. The more you practice the better you will be at it.

Usually (where I live) there is water and a small snack (1/2 banana or orange slice) at mile 6 during the race. And other water breaks thereafter. You might want to know what is avail during your race. Then you can train this way to wait on the stop in the race or carry you own. I partake in no food until the race is over.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My initial feeling (if you're not intentionally eating at a deficit) is you're not getting enough carbs or you're going too fast (or you're not getting enough sleep?).....my 7 miler last Sunday was fueled by coffee (I'll run fasted up to about 10 miles.......racing is different, I'll eat 2 to 3 hrs ahead of the gun)

Most people should have enough stored glycogen to fuel 90 minutes of moderate exercise. if you're going to eat anything before a run it should be something that's easily digested and high in simple carbs (complex carbs & protein right before a run will make no difference)