People wanting to loose 30+ pounds-support and tips??

Options
I am 5'5 and have always been the big kid. This past year my weight bounced around in the low 200's. Last week I was 203lbs and as of today I am 199lbs

Replies

• julialavergne
    julialavergne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in almost the exact position that you are in. I'm on my 15th day of MFP! I've been bicycling and Zumba dancing and so far it's worked out pretty well! I think that it doesn't matter how much outside motivation you have, if you don't have self-motivation! Don't get me wrong, it's always great to have others to support you, but you have to want this! And I believe that you can do this! Just don't set a time for your self. We need to be patient in order for this to work. Impatience is my biggest problem!
  • julialavergne
    julialavergne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the advice, and wow! Good job!
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Zaskar60 wrote: »
    Lots of people will tell you to calculate how many calories you burn in a day, then stay under that amount in order to lose weight. That's what this app is all based on, after all. But, what you also need to know are the right kinds of foods to eat. Here is a good place to start:

1. No processed foods (it's hard to do at first, but once you get used to whole foods you feel so much better!) It's very difficult to eat 100% whole foods, but try to as much as possible. This means no pizza, hot dogs, etc.
    2. No processed white sugar, i.e.no cupcakes, ice cream, or cookies :(
    3. More protein consumption. Around 1 gram per 2 pounds of bodyweight. If you do a lot of weight lifting or athletics, this moves closer to 1 gram per 1 pound of bodyweight.
    4. Lots of water. A good target is 1 ounce per pound of bodyweight. This seems like a lot, and it can feel like a full time job just trying to drink enough water. But, you will feel amazing if you do!

If you keep these simple rules in place you'll see the weight drop quickly. It's all about regulating your body's insulin levels (by not causing insulin spikes with high sugar content) and not putting the junk into your body that can be found in many processed foods.

I personally went from 277lbs to 245lbs just by cleaning up my diet and getting back in the gym. But then, I went from 245lbs to 201lbs in three months by following what I wrote above, along with a lot of bicycling.

Over time you can experiment with cardio and track how many calories you burn. Lately I've been doing fasted AM cardio and I feel like I can't eat enough throughout the day.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

I agree with this 100% !
  • sandyharpham
    sandyharpham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my journey of clean eating. I'm only at the first week of the change. But I do feel more energy by not eating processed foods or sugars. My next goal is to get back into the exercise routine. I live to far out to go to the gym. So mine is all on my creativity as long as I can handle the temperatures