Thyroid and weight loss

Options
So about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid issue... And it caused me to gain weight... Is it possible to still lose weight with this problem? If so, do you have any tips?

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. If you're on medication, take it as directed and it's keeping all your numbers in a good range (for you) then you should be able to lose as easily as a normal person. The trick can be keeping your numbers in a good range, though -- they can fluctuate, so you need to keep up with doctor appointments and lab work.

I was diagnosed last June, lost 25 pounds after medication kicked in and have kept it off relatively easily. I do have periods when my weight goes up or down a couple of pounds w/o a reason (calorie intake and calories expended don't account for it) and stays there for a few weeks, and I wonder if my levels are fluctuating a bit. So far things have eventually evened back out, though.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible - I have been on thryoid meds for 27 years, with dosages going up and down while trying to find the right levels. I have lost about 85lbs since October 2015. You can too, you just have to be committed to making the changes necessary.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism for fifteen years, and as long as I take my medication as directed I don't have any issues. In fact, I've decreased my medication levels since changing to a healthier lifestyle. If it's particularly difficult for you, find an Endo who can help find a solution that works for you.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Do you take medication? This is the key question to answer.

I take Synthroid. Been on it for about a decade. I have no issues losing weight. I've lost over 80 lbs in 10 months!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I was kind of diagnosed but doctor thought treatment wasn't necessary, and I still managed to lose the weight I set out to lose, and then some. Hypothyreodism can make your body use a little bit less energy, but it's neglectible. Plus not feeling well might make you less active , less happy and you might hold onto water more. This might all lead to weight gain. Generally, the weight gain due to your body burning less calories is considered to be the smallest factor! This is good news!

Thus: make sure your medication is spot on and you have the motivation to go for it. Do you feel good? If not go to your doctor and see if you need an adjustment. Not go too much by numbers on a blood test but how you feel (I hope your doctor supports you with that).

Then get a weight scale and weigh everything you eat. Check the database entries. The weight will come off, of this I can assure you.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If your levels are correct you will be able to lose weight.

My levels weren't right from 2012-2016. I gained almost 100lbs and had absolutely no energy, was on activity restriction, driving restriction and I was at risk for cardiac arrest.

Levels are finally good and I feel good therefore I am able to drop weight quickly and easily.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said. I've been on Synthroid for hypothyroidism since 2004. I find that I lose weight extremely slowly, so I have to stay patient and keep with it, and for sure, making sure your numbers are good is key, and this can take a while. Whenever I'm in a period of extreme stress, it seems to make my thyroid go wonky and then it takes a while to get it back on track, and during those times the lethargy makes me super sedentary and I gain weight even though I'm eating less (who has time to eat when you're sleeping 80% of the day).

Right now my numbers are pretty spot on which is why I started MFP to lose some weight while the going's good! I expect it will come off slowly (always does for me) but it *will* come off. Consistency with the meds (I try to take mine at the same time every morning, an hour before eating) and consistency with the exercise/eating should yield results.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person and if their meds are working properly for them. I've had thyroid issues for 21 years, and during that time have had the hardest time losing weight, and have gotten severely sick (near death) twice for 9 months. But my doctors aren't good at listening to me, and don't check all the levels.