Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    harper520 wrote: »
    Love Planet Fitness! I can only speak for the one I most frequent in BR, LA. There is huge mix of serious lifters and those who are in the beginning stages of their fitness journey, though I've never seen any serious lifters " get bashed" they do have rules that make it an inclusive atmosphere for most people which is great and it's seems to be a gross overstatement that they discriminate against anyone, I mean they also have it posted that you should wipe down the equipment after you use it, is that discriminating against the unhygienic? I really don't get the outrage at having free pizza once a month either. Bottom line you get a lot for a relatively small membership fee but again it's what you make of it.

so excluding a group of people that are deemed "lunks" is an "inclusive" atmosphere....???????????
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Love Planet Fitness! I can only speak for the one I most frequent in BR, LA. There is huge mix of serious lifters and those who are in the beginning stages of their fitness journey, though I've never seen any serious lifters " get bashed" they do have rules that make it an inclusive atmosphere for most people which is great and it's seems to be a gross overstatement that they discriminate against anyone, I mean they also have it posted that you should wipe down the equipment after you use it, is that discriminating against the unhygienic? I really don't get the outrage at having free pizza once a month either. Bottom line you get a lot for a relatively small membership fee but again it's what you make of it.

You misunderstand, the 'outrage' (actually not outrage, more distaste) is against their discriminatory marketing policy which is designed to make a group of people the butt of their jokes. Replace bodybuilders with colour, creed, gender, or sexuality and see how it fits with your viewpoints.

Also wiping down equipment is standard gym practice ...not that it actually does anything for hygiene ..it's just cosmetic,

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

"serious lifters" who don't have access to a squat rack, a bench press, dumbbells over 40 pounds, and can only use a smith machine? :neutral:

Anyways, it isn't inclusive to make fun of, kick out, cancel memberships and ring alarms of "fit" people. Especially considering this is a gym. It's like punishing those who've actually worked hard enough to have a fit body with shame of their acheivement.

And why do most people have a problem with PF? Because the pizza, the bagels, the tootsie rolls, the lack of facilities, and the price. It's just cheap enough to get as many people to sign up as possible, while playing on their insecurities enough to dissuade them from cancelling. "Oh, maybe i'll go next month" "It's only 10$, what if i want to go?" "I'm starting my new lifestyle next week".

They rake in the cash of people who know nothing about fitness and have no intention of working out. All while shaming people who've actually worked their *kitten* off for their physique.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

"serious lifters" who don't have access to a squat rack, a bench press, dumbbells over 40 pounds, and can only use a smith machine? :neutral:

Anyways, it isn't inclusive to make fun of, kick out, cancel memberships and ring alarms of "fit" people. Especially considering this is a gym. It's like punishing those who've actually worked hard enough to have a fit body with shame of their acheivement.

And why do most people have a problem with PF? Because the pizza, the bagels, the tootsie rolls, the lack of facilities, and the price. It's just cheap enough to get as many people to sign up as possible, while playing on their insecurities enough to dissuade them from cancelling. "Oh, maybe i'll go next month" "It's only 10$, what if i want to go?" "I'm starting my new lifestyle next week".

They rake in the cash of people who know nothing about fitness and have no intention of working out.

This is most commercial gyms, this isn't only exclusive to PF. The difference is PF makes $10 per person per month while other commercial gyms make $30-$60 per person per month.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I go to PF 2 - 3 times per week and it has worked out well for me.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Their marketing runs off the type of people who would go to the gym regularly and attracts those most likely to sign up and then not go. If you're not looking for serious free weight work then it can be a good deal. And, honestly, I laugh every time one of their commercials comes on. The dude drying his undercarriage with the towel reminds me of some of the old dudes I've come across in locker rooms, just much fitter, and how could you not like the hot girls? So hawt! lol

Yes, the company is playing on stereotypes as part of their business model, but (1) I'm not offended and (2) it's sick and twisted but has been very effective. I have thicker skin than most though I guess. The minute I look like that dude in the boots and cut offs and develop an accent though, I'll be all kind of offended . . .
  • rainbowbow
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

They rake in the cash of people who know nothing about fitness and have no intention of working out.

This is most commercial gyms, this isn't only exclusive to PF. The difference is PF makes $10 per person per month while other commercial gyms make $30-$60 per person per month.

They do this at other gyms as well, but they generally have fees for starting and a max number of customers per gym.

If planet fitness were to have all of their members actually show up they would be filled past maximum capacity. Again though, the price was set so low for a reason. They've said it was part of their marketing strategy to get the largest number of sign-ups especially at the beginning of each year.

In any case, it's pretty safe to say that it's obvious planet fitness is preying on ignorant and out-of-shape consumers.

• rainbowbow
    Options
    39a998263e1a023bebad6757467611d0.jpg

8cf3521e8f7a7ca111f90f4903c41345.jpg
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

They do this at other gyms as well, but they generally have fees for starting and a max number of customers per gym.

If planet fitness were to have all of their members actually show up they would be filled past maximum capacity. Again though, the price was set so low for a reason. They've said it was part of their marketing strategy to get the largest number of sign-ups especially at the beginning of each year.

In any case, it's pretty safe to say that it's obvious planet fitness is preying on ignorant and out-of-shape consumers.

I didn't know other gyms had a max number of customers, and I do agree other gyms do not market as much to out-of-shape customers like PF does. There were nights I went in to PF and it felt like every single one of their customers showed up at the same time, LOL!
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I didn't know other gyms had a max number of customers, and I do agree other gyms do not market as much to out-of-shape customers like PF does. There were nights I went in to PF and it felt like every single one of their customers showed up at the same time, LOL!

yes! Atleast with the corporate gyms like 24-hour, LA Fitness, and even other low-cost gyms like fitness 19, etc. They have hefty upfront fees which buffer their monthly sales/operations up-front incase of membership cancellation. They often have to charge these fees because monthly memberships are expensive enough that people will cancel their membership if they are no longer using it. They also have max number of members per franchised location and in a certain area.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Varamyr38 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    If it helps a group of people who would not otherwise be helped, it's good.
    Even if it means telling people that bodybuilders and other athletes are horrible people? Even if it means telling the public (incorrectly) that deadlifts and other highly functional moves are only to be performed by such detestable human beings?

Somehow, I doubt that PF would get a pass if they were to discriminate against the overweight in that manner. Middle America would be in an uproar. PF demeans highly accomplished athletes instead though, and so the people around here applaud their tactics. Something is wrong with that.

Lunks are just the people that are throwing the weights around and screaming and grunting the whole time during their workout. How could that not intimidate somebody? If you're just lifting weights and not slamming the weights back down while being respectful to others around you, I see no problem. That wouldn't be lunking at all.

I belong to a lifting/strongman gym, I also belong to PF for cardio, but that's beside the point. At my lifting gym no one has ever thrown weights around, there's no screaming or grunting. Though sometimes we do get a little exuberant when someone is going for max effort and we're cheering them on. Stop judging us.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    Even if it means telling people that bodybuilders and other athletes are horrible people? Even if it means telling the public (incorrectly) that deadlifts and other highly functional moves are only to be performed by such detestable human beings?

Somehow, I doubt that PF would get a pass if they were to discriminate against the overweight in that manner. Middle America would be in an uproar. PF demeans highly accomplished athletes instead though, and so the people around here applaud their tactics. Something is wrong with that.

Lunks are just the people that are throwing the weights around and screaming and grunting the whole time during their workout. How could that not intimidate somebody? If you're just lifting weights and not slamming the weights back down while being respectful to others around you, I see no problem. That wouldn't be lunking at all.

I belong to a lifting/strongman gym, I also belong to PF for cardio, but that's beside the point. At my lifting gym no one has ever thrown weights around, there's no screaming or grunting. Though sometimes we do get a little exuberant when someone is going for max effort and we're cheering them on. Stop judging us.

seriously, I got to a power lifting gym and no one throws weights around or is screaming like a maniac. We actually have a "boom room" where people can go one rep max and heavy deads, so that the other members do not have to hear all that. This mythological person that throws dumbbells all over the place all the while screaming like a pregnant lady in labor is a fantasy creation of PF that they use to scare people into using their gym....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Define serious lifter. It is pretty much impossible to be a serious lifter without being able to do traditional compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc...they're pretty much fundamental to being a serious lifter. Also note that a serious lifter doesn't equate to being a body builder...I posted previously that I'm a cyclist...about 180* from being a body builder...the foundation of my lifting routing revolves around cleans and snatches as well as other traditional compound power movements and tons of box jumps and whatnot...do they even allow box jumps at PF? How do people get their vert on?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »

I've been in and out of gyms most of my life and have never really observed this type of behavior...and in the event I have, it's rare and generally management does something about it...it's a mythology created by PF. Every gym I've ever belonged to has rules against slamming weights, etc.
  • mickeydcasey
    mickeydcasey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym and there was one guy, working with dumbbells on an inclined bench, who ALWAYS slammed the weights down to the ground when he was finished. the barbells would bounce and sometimes roll and skid away from him. He was obviously playing some sort of macho movie in his head and he was an idiot. He wasn't doing a snatch or any of sort of thing. I am 60 years old and I have been in gyms since high school and I have seen may people acting like "lunks," I have a different word for them but I will keep it clean! :) PF uses a certain marketing gimmick, maybe some see it as excluding, but seriously you "serious lifters", you don't want to be at PF anyway so why does it bother you so much? PF has a niche and it works for them and it works for many of the people that go there. Live and let live baby and stop taking everything so personallY
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am going to open a gym that says "no weak people allowed" and see what the reaction is...
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i am going to open a gym that says "no weak people allowed" and see what the reaction is...

no no... clearly it should be "no one who isn't attractive, thin, fit, or strong"

because PF is rejecting memberships of women who are considered "too attractive" and "intimidating". Women who are in "too good" of a shape. And obviously dissuades heavy lifting.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Don't forget to have a dress code.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Don't forget to have a no-dress code.

fixed
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

no no... clearly it should be "no one who isn't attractive, thin, fit, or strong"

because PF is rejecting memberships of women who are considered "too attractive" and "intimidating". Women who are in "too good" of a shape. And obviously dissuades heavy lifting.

I was asked once not to wear a tank top again. I just canceled my membership and never went back. It was cheap for cardio when there are lots of bugs out and it gets hot, but I like to wear tank tops. Also been the only gym I've been in where men openly would just stare at you. Yep no thanks. Y'all can have it. I took a big shot of HTFU and just run outside now.