Runners - fueling question

Options
2»

Replies

• kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wow...thanks for posting this! You and I are in nearly the same boat...I am not a runner, but signed up for a half in October with my daughter...more of a challenge to myself than anything. I've got stomach issues, too, and a hiatal hernia, so I really can't eat before I exercise. I am more into weight training with cardio mixed in but am slowly enjoying running. I just did my longest run, 5 miles, yesterday (I know...to runners this is just a baby run, haha). I am also worried about how to fuel myself for the longer runs, say 10 miles and up. My stomach just can't take it. I'll try Gu when I get to that distance, but it's great reading the advice from seasoned runners. So, again...thanks!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the folks here, while it might not be fueling during the run or before, I think you might be running on empty overall throughout the days because you aren't taking into account the increased work you are doing. If you're losing weight, you aren't eating enough to compensate.
  • l_stanz
    l_stanz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kdub67 wrote: »
    Wow...thanks for posting this! You and I are in nearly the same boat...I am not a runner, but signed up for a half in October with my daughter...more of a challenge to myself than anything. I've got stomach issues, too, and a hiatal hernia, so I really can't eat before I exercise. I am more into weight training with cardio mixed in but am slowly enjoying running. I just did my longest run, 5 miles, yesterday (I know...to runners this is just a baby run, haha). I am also worried about how to fuel myself for the longer runs, say 10 miles and up. My stomach just can't take it. I'll try Gu when I get to that distance, but it's great reading the advice from seasoned runners. So, again...thanks!

I am SO glad to hear I'm not alone! Every time I read about 7 miles being a "short" run, I die inside! LOL. I'm glad the advice in this thread has helped you too - these folks are awesome!
  • l_stanz
    Options
    My initial feeling (if you're not intentionally eating at a deficit) is you're not getting enough carbs or you're going too fast (or you're not getting enough sleep?).....my 7 miler last Sunday was fueled by coffee (I'll run fasted up to about 10 miles.......racing is different, I'll eat 2 to 3 hrs ahead of the gun)

Most people should have enough stored glycogen to fuel 90 minutes of moderate exercise. if you're going to eat anything before a run it should be something that's easily digested and high in simple carbs (complex carbs & protein right before a run will make no difference)

Well, my average pace is like 10:30/mile so I don't think it's a speed issue! :) But you're probably right about the carbs - I don't avoid them but I definitely don't usually have them before my run. They're usually part of my meals later in the day, so I'll have to find something that works in the morning. Thanks!
  • l_stanz
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Crapping out at 3.5 miles this morning could be that you were just having an off day. Not hydrated as well as your thought, perhaps the weather/heat conditions are different or sleep was not very good. Or you are possibly out of energy balance for the calories you consume. If this happens each time you run now, then you should do a wellness check per se on yourself.. i.e. check the calories, hydration, sleep, over training maybe, etc..

To fuel for a 7 mile run (where you are mileage wise in your training) there is no special diet or timing. This is a pretty short run and every mile you add to that in your training you also train the body to not need special fueling since you are fasting essentially before the run.

I eat nothing before my half races.

Are you running the race fasted? If so this is how you should train. Eat right and hydrate the day before and hydrate some more the day of the race, but keep training fasted if this is how you are going to run the race. The more you practice the better you will be at it.

Usually (where I live) there is water and a small snack (1/2 banana or orange slice) at mile 6 during the race. And other water breaks thereafter. You might want to know what is avail during your race. Then you can train this way to wait on the stop in the race or carry you own. I partake in no food until the race is over.

Thanks so much! I posted this partly because I wasn't even sure if it was okay/a good idea to run longer distances fasted (say what you will, but 7 miles feels plenty long to me! :smile: ). I'm going to experiment to see what works best for me (and see if I can get back on track) but it's reassuring to know that not everyone eats before longer runs.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in that the heat/humidity are probably a huge factor. When I run in the summer, I slow my pace way down. And, "speed" is relative to your ability, so 10:30/pace in the heat might be too fast for 7 miles for you right now.

Unlike many others, I can't run completely fasted for more than 6 miles. I get a queasy stomach if I do that. I find I have to have something small (200-300 calories) one hour before a morning run and/or race. I do fuel during races, as, again, I'll get extremely queasy. For races, I just hit the Gatorade at certain water stops and I'm good. My stomach doesn't like a lot of anything on it, but it wants something. All this to say that everyone is different, so, keep experimenting to find what works for you.

Experimenting with chews, etc, is good to do now. I respond well to the Honey Stinger brand and also to Tailwind (mix for water). Neither have ever bothered my stomach.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You could try a banana it will help its light and it has a good amout of carbs and potassium so its good for your runs. I run 3.5 miles 5xs a week and i always eat something small an hour before hand it really helps
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest that you try knocking off the lifting for a week and see how you do.
    Lifting heavy -- squats and deadlifts -- really takes it out of me and my runs the day after a gym session are quite often a slog through molasses.
    Lifting does me in more than heat or not eating.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I too, am an early morning runner. I went around and around with my nutritionist who was adamant I not run fasted. I tried energy gels as a way of getting around it. But gels made me sick. Sweet things like energy bars made me hit a wall as soon as my blood sugar dropped from the spike.

But when I transitioned from road to trail running with over a mile of steep hills, I had no choice but to start fueling my body properly. Here's what worked for me.

Night before run days: drink water until urine runs clear. I make sure I hydrated before hand because I'm terrible at monitoring my thirst while running.

At least an hour before running: water 16 ounces and 3-4 ounces of a mix of complex and simple carbs and protein (e.g., 2 oz cooked oatmeal, 2 ounces milk, and 1 oz of blueberries; or a quinoa bite made with carrot and cheese, 1/2 an apple).

You'll need to play around with the quantity to see what works energy-wise, but also what works comfortably in the stomach while you run.

Yes it means waking up earlier, but since I wanted to run in the morning and on trails, I decided the extra effort was worth it.

• l_stanz
    Options
    You guys ROCK. Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I'm excited to try out some new strategies and figure out what works. I really appreciate it! :)