Need suggestions on weight lifting exercises

Options
I have been steadily losing weight now for about a year. The only exercising I do is walking and some stretches. I would like to start lifting weights. Here is the thing I am looking for the most bang for my buck. I hate the gym I hate exercising. I do them for my health but other than the minimum amount suggestions I don't do much more. So I am looking for 4-5 exercises that would help me overall. I am want things that work large groups of muscles I am not looking to "target" anything. The only one that I know meets this requirement for myself are squats. How about dead lifts? I like to go in do my workout break a sweat and then go get a smoothie. So any ideas/help?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you want the most bang for your buck then you want full body compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, OHP, pull ups, etc...).

StrongLifts5x5, StartingStrength, Fierce5 and similar programs all feature typically 5 major compound full body moves and some have additional accessory work. You do them 3x/week.

If you don't want to go to the gym and don't want to buy equipment, then you can do bodyweight exercises with programs like You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or StartBodyweight.com
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    PPs gave you good ideas. No matter which way you go, make sure you're on an actual program - and not just winging it. Winging it, or making it up on your own, is a good way to just spin your wheels.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If you want the most bang for your buck then you want full body compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, OHP, pull ups, etc...).

StrongLifts5x5, StartingStrength, Fierce5 and similar programs all feature typically 5 major compound full body moves and some have additional accessory work. You do them 3x/week.

If you don't want to go to the gym and don't want to buy equipment, then you can do bodyweight exercises with programs like You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or StartBodyweight.com

^^this x100