Hard headed and lonely

Options
AMVilla
AMVilla Posts: 17 Member
I keep trying to "follow the rules" and end up binging. This time I'm trying my own way. Just looking for support and see what's working for other people. Trying to stay steady and take it slow.

Replies

• horoscopa
    horoscopa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm an over eater and I'm constantly thinking about food and over doing it. You are not alone, we can be friends and help each other. Feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP.

Take care, hugs!
  • ljbuss
    ljbuss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It always helps me to get small healthy snacks through the day. If I can avoid "super hungry" esp at the end of the day it helps me. It also helps me to only think about one day - not the whole amount that I would like to lose - too overwhelming . Be kind to yourself and hang in there. Not alone in your struggle .
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What rules are you trying to follow? If you're trying to go low fat with a calorie restricted diet, it greatly increases the chance of struggling. I'm personally doing low carb because I have diabetes and I need it to control my blood sugar, but I find that eating this way also helps immensely with not feeling hungry all the time. My percentages are set to 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fats. In terms of pursuing the goals, I aim to be at or under on the carbs, at or over on protein, and the fat falls where it may.
  • AMVilla
    Options
    I was trying to track everything, 35/35/30 was recommended (and I got real darn tired of protein drinks), high intensity workouts, vitamins up the wazoo.... Now I'm just trying to keep a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. Just going to give it a couple months and see. No rules. Just keep a deficit.
  • AMVilla
    Options
    I did this DNA test and ended up so discouraged. Those percents are very hard to hit. And I like long walks or biking, but they told me my body "doesn't process fat" So unless I did high intensity and high protein it wouldn't work. I failed. Just didn't like life that way.
  • AMVilla
    Options
    Horoscopa, looking forward to the journey!
  • ElleAnn0714
    ElleAnn0714 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, dont be discouraged it is very hard. Take baby steps every day and it will amount to something great! The hardest thing to learn is to say no to yourself. I would encourage you to focus on how eating right\exercising makes you feel, not tests and over demanding rules. Friend me if you would like a friend!
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I too tried 30% protein for a bit and found it too difficult. I kept finding myself at the end of the day needing to eat something equivalent to a pound of turkey or fish, and I just wasn't that hungry. Lowering the target by 5% made a huge difference, but that's on 2500 calories per day.

As far as the DNA test, where did you have that done? I don't buy the idea that your body doesn't process fat. If that were true, you wouldn't have been able to become overweight because the body has to "process fat" in order to turn excess calories into body fat.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    AMVilla - it's so hard when you're trying and there are too many rules. Try to step outside the rules and just think about what you are eating and if it's worth the calories. For example: set your profile to lose a pound a week and let's say it tells you that you can have 2,000 calories a day. For breakfast you decide to eat something that totals 1200 calories. Ask yourself if you can survive on 800 calories for the rest of the day. Is being hungry later worth what you are eating now?
    Just take one "bite at a time". For that moment make a conscious effort to say "is this worth it?". One idea might be to set your daily diary up as fruits/vegetables, proteins/dairy, breads/cereal/grains, fats. That's what I did. That way each day I can eyeball it and see "oh wait, I haven't eaten very many veggies today or oh wow I'm loading on the carbs, no more for me.
    Feel free to add me.
  • ljbuss
    ljbuss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it also helps to think about how you frame your thinking . For example , in my heart I am a "rebel" who hates rules and being told what to do. Sounds from your comments that you might be like this also . For this reason, programs like weight watchers or trying to control too many things at once never worked for me - always felt restrictive and controlling . What works for me: Keeping it simple to just 1 or 2 things each day that l "choose" to do because they will make me feel better and are healthy , and not just because I "should" do them to lose weight. I tell myself everyday that I am choosing the 1 or 2 healthy things that I am focused on - but could choose not to tomorrow, or could choose to make a different decision about a special meal or time away from exercise for a few days when traveling . Gives me the control vs feeling controlled by a long set of rules and restrictions . And since I don't feel that I "have to" do anything, I end up making much better choices overall over time.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was going to see a nutritionist every couple months (what my insurance would pay for.) When you tell them what your issues are they help you find ways around them. My way was to not purchase binge foods and not even walk down the aisles where they are sold. I buy fruit for my sweet tooth. And of course I log it so I don't eat ridiculous amounts of calories of it. I weigh the fruit and try to get about 100 calories per serving.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Also, who did this DNA test on you? Some people/places have ulterior motives and give you untruthful statements. This is something you would need to find out.
  • AMVilla
    Options
    I have another discussion on who did the test. Bad, bad decision made there. Thanks, everyone!