For those of you who eat oatmeal...

Options
MissingLink240
MissingLink240 Posts: 9 Member
For those of you who eat oatmeal, what do you add to it that's healthy and delicious?

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Talking about porridge, rather than oatmeal, but one or more of banana, cinnamon, honey, prunes, Apple purée, jam (in a real nursery breakfast mood)!
  • datsun_girl
    datsun_girl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jalna yoghurt and fruit
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been going for extra creamy so I've been cooking minute oats starting in cold water with coconut powder, raisins, and chia seeds. I add whey powder after taking it off the heat. This morning I also added about a teaspoon of buckwheat honey, a pinch of salt, and vanilla. I then mix in about a quarter cup yogurt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and chocolate drops
  • Gingerkat81
    Gingerkat81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, PB2, unsweetened applesauce, crushed pecans or walnuts, fruit, cinnamon
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My additions by the way, give me higher protein content, loads of soluble fiber, and a little bit of iron.
  • LunaLatte
    LunaLatte Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fruit combos mostly (I prefer overnight oats~Something about cold oats in the summer is amazing). Some of my favorites are:
    -1/2 cup Blubberies + 1 TBSP of raisins + a bit of vanilla escence + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/4 cup of strawberries + 1/4 cup banana + 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/2 a pear + 1 scoop of vanilla plant based protein powder + a bit of vanilla essence + 1 tsp of brown sugar

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Usually just a little salt...sometimes cinnamon but usually only in the winter. On weekends I will occasionally do a whole savory oatmeal thing...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy/packages/healthy-every-week/quick-and-simple/5-savory-spins-on-oatmeal-bowls.html

Just a few...there are so many awesome combinations of things when you start playing with it.
  • sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My favourite is cinnamon, a little maple syrup and some almond butter!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup or blackberries
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    For those of you who eat oatmeal, what do you add to it that's healthy and delicious?

I add blueberries and honey. Every morning.

Sometimes I add bananas when I run out of berries.
  • lisagauldin1
    lisagauldin1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chocolate PB2 with tsp butter substitute and instead of all water to mix in I use half milk, comes out more like a no-bake cookie flavor
  • loxxsley
    loxxsley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    To sweeten it, I usually add some fruit like raisins, Zante currants, or dried cranberries—or sometimes just a teaspoon or two of honey or demerara, or maybe brown sugar or maple syrup. Occasionally I add a bit of almond milk or cream. I've used PB2, and although it tastes fine sprinkled on oatmeal I don't care for it otherwise, so I don't really keep it around. Something I always have on hand though and almost always put in oatmeal (and on peanut butter toast and in salads and . . . wherever I can, really) is flaxseed. Oh, and walnuts or pecans are good sometimes too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider healthy and delicious.

If I'm eating oatmeal as a hot cereal: honey, white/brown sugar, maple syrup, sometimes milk

Cold cereal: white sugar and milk
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Pumpkin purée
    Stevia
    Cocoa powder
    SF/FF pudding mix
    Protein powder
    Zuchinni
    Cauliflower