Some combination of:
    Blueberries
    Cream
    Brown sugar
    Protein powder
    Peaches
    Walnuts
    PB2

I like most of these. I also enjoy applesauce for sweetener, and sometimes add almonds.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Blueberries
    PeanutButter and stir omg so good
    Honey
    Walnuts or almonds
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    stevia and cinnamon
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed meal, bluberries, walnuts
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Savoury porridge this week: rolled oats, water, skim milk, grated carrot, grated zucchini, shredded parmesan, egg.
    Topped with a dash of Tabasco.
  • dargilla2
    dargilla2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, toasted nuts, full fat yogurt, vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, salt. Separate an egg, whip the white and add, temper the yolk and add.
  • tamerahbennett
    tamerahbennett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What protein powders do folks recommend to add to oatmeal? Looking for something with no Stevia or artificial sweetners.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What protein powders do folks recommend to add to oatmeal? Looking for something with no Stevia or artificial sweetners.

Good luck with that, lol.
  • laura935
    laura935 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ground flax, cinnamon and dried cranberries or frozen blueberries
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Bananas, berries, peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, protein powder.

Not all of those at the same time, though.
  • Kaya5312
    Kaya5312 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Smashed banana
    Small box of raisin
    Bluberries
    1 tbsp chia/flax seed mix
    LOTS of true cinnamon
    1tbsp sliced almonds
    Almond milk or half and half to taste
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats, ( 1 cup of dry oats) with 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon (Vietnamese 'cause the wife thinks it's better tasting) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. THEN when it is cooked... for a single serving (1/2 cup cooked) I add 1 scoop whey, 1/4 cup mixed berries (Costco), 1/4 cup no fat plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup crushed mix of walnuts and pecans.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Talking about porridge, rather than oatmeal, but one or more of banana, cinnamon, honey, prunes, Apple purée, jam (in a real nursery breakfast mood)!

What is the difference between porridge and oatmeal? I had looked it up at an American food site, and it indicated that they are the same. ??? Thank you!
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Talking about porridge, rather than oatmeal, but one or more of banana, cinnamon, honey, prunes, Apple purée, jam (in a real nursery breakfast mood)!

What is the difference between porridge and oatmeal? I had looked it up at an American food site, and it indicated that they are the same. ??? Thank you!

I'm pretty sure porridge is just what we in the UK call oatmeal! That's always been my understanding anyway - hot oats made with water or milk...
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always have a box or two of frozen berries in the freezer (usually blueberries and raspberries) which I like to stew with a little sweetener and swirl through my porridge ☺ I sometimes add some fat free vanilla yogurt too to cut through the tartness of the berries! Mmm I want porridge now
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

torizia wrote: »

I'm pretty sure porridge is just what we in the UK call oatmeal! That's always been my understanding anyway - hot oats made with water or milk...

I make porridges for breakfast often ... sometimes they are made of oatmeal, and other times from other grains.

When I do oatmeal, I like to whisk in one egg into the water before I add the oatmeal ... I found this extra protein and fat from the egg keep me full longer. When I have oatmeal made just on water, I am hungry again within 2 hours and don't like that response; with the egg in it I'm good for closer to 4 hours.

Another additive to my oatmeal is 1/2 cup of berries, or another fruit and a 2 tablespoon walnuts pieces, and 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (stir in after it's done cooking).
  • kpbird4147
    kpbird4147 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For reducing my cholesterol, I use 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 2 Tbsp ground golden flax seed, 1 Tbsp Craisins & 1-1/4 cup water. Microwave ~2 mins then add 1 Tbsp coconut oil & 1 Tbsp chia seeds. Top with 1/4 cup lowfat milk. Sometimes I add a little vanilla or almond extract before cooking. Good & filling, provides lots of energy!
  • kpbird4147
    kpbird4147 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Savoury porridge this week: rolled oats, water, skim milk, grated carrot, grated zucchini, shredded parmesan, egg.
    Topped with a dash of Tabasco.

How to prepare this porridge?
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, yogurt for protein and a tbs of oat bran...
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I make mine with unsweetened light soya milk (prefer the taste and don't do well with a lot of milk, anyhow) and chop a banana into it. I sometimes add a few blueberries or some chopped up strawberry and once resorted to a chopped up doughnut peach when my last banana had gone bad - which was surprisingly lovely.

Prunes also nice. Dark chocolate melted into it is delicious but doesn't agree with me. Raisins or sultanas work at a pinch.

I don't add sugar or honey because I end up with an almighty 10am sugar crash, if I do.