I'm not sure if I'm doing the dead lift right.

Options
I'm new to lifting, and I'm not sure if I correctly pulled off the dead lift. I say that because I don't feel anything in my lower back when doing it, only in my quads and hamstrings sometimes. Here's what I do,
1. Make sure the bar is centered on my feet
2. "Sit" grab the bar assuring it touches my shins
3. Put my chest up
4. Push with the legs and move my hips forward, squeezing my glutes

I only tried dead lifting with an Olympic bar, I didn't want to go to heavy at first.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Would need to see a video to know if you're doing it "right" or not. But I would guess that you didn't feel anything in your lower back because you were just lifting the bar. The basic principles you have listed sound correct.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm not too comfortable posting a video haha. But I did manage to find a mistake I did in my form. What I would do is sit down like a squat. After watching a few videos I found out you have to bend more like a "bowing" kind of bend. Basically at first my hips were parralel to my knees. Also, I tried performing a dead lift with that "bowing" position and immediately noticed my hamstrings were tight and activated.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to feel lower back pain if you do it correctly, right??
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I'm not too comfortable posting a video haha. But I did manage to find a mistake I did in my form. What I would do is sit down like a squat. After watching a few videos I found out you have to bend more like a "bowing" kind of bend. Basically at first my hips were parralel to my knees. Also, I tried performing a dead lift with that "bowing" position and immediately noticed my hamstrings were tight and activated.

Sounds like you figured it out :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Not PAIN, but you are working the muscles, and they can be a bit sore from being worked (just like any other muscle)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Google the article "deconstructing the deadlift"
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Back pain as though you've injured something is never good.

That said, your lower back will be very sore after starting deadlifts. Not much else works the erector spinae like deadlifts do.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Take videos of yourself even if you don't share with anybody. It really is the only way to check your own form. Try to get shots from the front and side. :)