Super sore from lifting

Options
Any one have any tips of getting rid of some soreness? I'm new to lifting weights

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just push on through...being sore initially (DOMs) is completely normal...just keep lifting. Take an advil and a hot bath...do some stretching...make sure you move, go for a walk.
  • screamingnoodle
    screamingnoodle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stretch strech strech and water. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and epsom salt bath. As mentioned, just moving around to keep the blood flowing helps. Staying stationary doesn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    the soreness wont' last very long. when you start it can be excessive but your body adapts pretty quickly to which you'll only experience light soreness/fatigue. A foam roller also helps a bit.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Only thing to add is be careful not to over extend your lifting motion. It's pretty easy for bad form to cause you to over reach what you should be doing. I.E. rolling your shoulders too far on chest press.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you are training at a gym that has a vibration plate try stretching on it. I've found that I haven't had doms since I started doing this (and I almost always have gotten them and bad)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and many people voiced there disagreement but, if you are getting sore, your body is telling you that you are doing TOO MUCH and you need to allow your body to heal and recover before you do more and when you resume you need to restart by doing less and then slowly increase the workload from there.

"Pushing through" is not a solution to soreness. That's macho BS. It will only create more soreness and may lead to injury. Do NOT do that! Allow your body to rest. Treat the symptoms w/ice of there's swelling/inflamation (or heat if there's not), OTC pain meds (if they work for you) and/or massage until it goes away.

Then you can return to doing what you were doing but I'd suggest cutting back the amount (reps/sets) and or weight that you are using to a slightly lower level (around 80-90% of what you were doing) before you start over again.

If you are going for endurance, you'd typically use low weights and high reps and if you are going for strength, you'd go for higher weights are low reps. Adjust the sets/reps/weights to suit your objectives and then raise the weights in small increments to increase your endurance or strength depending on your goal.

You should NOT experience any soreness lifting if you do this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. There's a difference between muscle soreness and something being tweaked. I find that if I keep moving, take a walk on rest days, etc-it helps. Otherwise, push through. Magnesium helps me as well.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Using a foam roller after lifting really helped limit my DOMS. I also bought these "therapy balls." They're different sizes rubber balls of different densities and use Jill Miller's "Roll Model" book. They have also really helped me reach areas the roller can't. The book has a lot of really interesting physiology stuff, which is great for the fitness need like me. :blush:
  • Ghostlight1
    Ghostlight1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BCAA (Branched chain amino acids) take them before and after you work out. They help muscle repair and cut down on soreness. also streatching after your work out is key.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had some extreme muscle soreness - think chest/lats swollen to a point where I was a full two inches bigger than normal - over the weekend. I took an Aleve, did the epsom salt bath, and iced. I also rubbed on some icy hot when I went to bed. Foam rollers and/or lacrosse balls will do wonders, too, even if they don't feel so good.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I get soreness and aches the day after a workout. IMO, it tells me a couple of things-- I haven't worked that muscle group out in a while (most likely), or I am pushing my threshold. It's strange but I tend to tweak something more from overstretching than lifting.

OT (sorry OP!)-- is soreness necessarily an indication of muscles being worked? I've been told soreness is no indication of a good workout.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with BCAAs helping and the idea that this won't last for long. Also there is a slight soreness that feels good and an "I can barely move" soreness that doesn't - the former is a good thing and the latter is not. Deload, work up your weight in ways that don't kill your muscles. I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 and the soreness is completely bearable where in the past I've been closer to injured when starting up with weights after a long break.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    BCAA (Branched chain amino acids) take them before and after you work out. They help muscle repair and cut down on soreness. also streatching after your work out is key.
    Myth about it cutting down on muscle soreness. Muscle soreness comes from micro tears and taking BCAA's don't reduce that in an intense workout. Also, stretching isn't that key. While it may help with getting blood to cells, stretching is basically for one purpose which is to increase flexibility and ROM. Stretching after workouts doesn't reduce upcoming DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting weights

Be patient. With consistency, you'll stop having DOMS.