I want to be a runner! Help (update)

Options
So I posted recently how I want to start running and I was looking for some advice on how I could achieve this goal. I got some really awesome comments about trying couch 5k and I downloaded it and I tried it. I am on week 1 day 1 and today was my first day. And I SUCKED!!! I did this outside and I haven't ran in like 5 years. Every time It got to the jog 60 seconds. my jog was so slow and I wanted to stop. I also skipped 2 of the job ones and walked them but i did complete the whole thing. I just feel like my dream of running is not realistic and maybe I should stop now if I can even do day 1. Any Advice

Replies

• BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day too and I probally looked funny running. Give it time and the more you practice the longer, fast and more comfortable it will become!
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    It gets better! The heat today could've had a major impact also, make sure you're drinking enough water. And, remember you can repeat days as much as needed until you're ready. Don't be so hard on yourself! You'll do it!
  • DanaR12878
    DanaR12878 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started 2 summers ago I was the same way - I was pretty sure the 60 seconds was gonna kill me! I will let you know I successfully finished a 5k about 3 monthes later with a time of 36:44 - it is do-able! Keep it up!! :-)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I say stick with it. If you were already a runner, I'd expect it to be easier. Since you are not, and you want to become a runner, then you've got to stick with it.....push yourself. As Jillian Michaels always say "If you want it (results) you've got to fight for it."

Push through. I bet you will be surprised by the end of it.

Just my opinion....
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K, I read a book called something like the "Complete Guide to Running" (not sure of the exact title) published by Runner's World. It had some really good advice for beginning runners. Some advice that I will always remember is that when you start running, you should barely be running faster than you walk. I, too, used to get frustrated at how winded I would get after just a minute or two of running, but when I slowed down the pace, it really helped! Speed will come with time!

Best of luck to you with the C25K!!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, everyone starts somewhere. the main thing is that you were able to finish instead of stop, give up and just go home. When I first started I could barely do the first day as well. But i continued and pushed myself to keep going, if you need to you can always pause the timer and take an extended walk also what i did. You can do this! have faith and keep at it! I never thought i could get as far as i have either. Also doing some kind of stretching before helps as well.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Eveyone starts somewhere!! Good job getting out there and doing it!!

If you really want to do it, it will take unpleasant work, but it will be worth it!! (I know from experience)

I would say to continue the 60 sec jog days for a few extra days if needed, until you feel you can keep it up for 90 sec. Dont keep at the same level longer than you really need, but give yourself an extra day or so on any level if needed. The thing is that you have to just keep getting out there and doing it and moving forward.

Remember that its not about speed, until maybe way later down the road. Just move in a jog style, and you will get it together. Make sure you have good shoes and are well hydrated if you are doing it outside.

:flowerforyou:
  • JL3mom
    JL3mom Posts: 48
    Options
    Don't give up! Your body needs time to adjust to this new thing! You may need to cut it back to run for 30 seconds for the first week and then start the first week all over again. Keep doing week one until you can complete it and move on from there! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Keep trying. Everyone has a first day. Becoming a "runner" is a slow, mental, fabulous process. You have the right tools, just start putting them to use. Maybe trying a track or flat "path" to run on.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    getting started is half the battle. At least you're working on a goal and that is what is important. I decided back in November that I wanted to run so I started it on the treadmill. I was AWFUL like I was so proud that I was running at a like 5/kph and then now I have worked myself up to almost 8/kph and am transitioning from running on the treadmill to outside running. It takes practice and not giving up. Don't worry if it doesn't come quickly, slow and steady wins the race. Just keep doing what you're doing and it WILL get easier. Try finding a running club of some sort that you can do once a week or something. There is one at the city center where I live that meets once a week for a beginners 5k and that has helped with my outdoor running and getting better in general and staying motivated. Fitness comes in time and you completed your time for the day, now try doing a little more the next time or just work on completing it again and you'll see improvements. Remember this: Any movement forward is good movement.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! I was just like you when I started running in April. This weekend, I ran a little more than 5K TWICE while on vacation in mountains which are 8000 feet above sea level (I live at 2400 feet.)

Okay, I shouldn't say I RAN it... but I never had the goal of actually running a whole 5K. Instead, I run for 2 minutes and walk for 1. I'm working my way up to running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 and actually had a few of those this weekend, but when the going was downhill. Interval running is supposed to be better for you, anyway. Do some Google searches on it and you'll see what I mean. Keep at it. You WILL get better and it will get easier. The first week sucks. If you don't feel like you're ready to graduate to week two, don't. Keep at it until you feel good doing it and then take it up a notch. It's not about meeting some arbitrary goal, it's about being out there and running at all.

Good luck!!
  • LaurieRny
    LaurieRny Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Where can I find the couch to 5K? I really want to learn to run too. I do treadmill at the gym but I need to get better :)
  • Amberlin
    Amberlin Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This time last year I started the c25k program. I had a brand new baby, had never run any length in my life and weighed 210 lbs. I started just running 1 min and walking 1 min before finding the c25k and that nearly killed me. I am still slow as mollases but am so addictive and lose the transformation. I currently weigh 180lbs, was lower but after going back to work gained about 15 back.

Today I ran 4 km straight on my rest day after doing the 30 day shred, last weekend I ran 8 km. I am running my first half marathon in October and it feels impossible.

You can do this, anyone can. Remember your body isn't used to this type of stress. Moving slowly still burns tons of calories at this point!! If you need motivation or tips, I am no expert, but would love to help! Add me!
  • breezeski
    breezeski Posts: 4
    Options
    It takes time. There's a lot of factors to consider.
    Do you have an athletic past?
    Are you wearing comfortable gear?
    Those new shoes you're going to buy should be fitted by a professional. Injury lurks around the corner for somebody who chooses a footwear bargain.
    Never mind speed right now. Work on style and economy of motion. Unnecessary head movement or other parts use tons of energy. Watch good runners on video or in real life.
    I'm about a month back at it and I'm still doing 30/30s. Something I had a ton of success with 7 years ago.
    Walk 30 seconds, run 30 seconds, stay out for 30 minutes, every second day. I would go 15 minutes out and (hopefully) 15 minutes back. It was encouraging to see my distance increase as my fitness got better.
    Stick with it.
    Need motivation? Book a race day. For me, once I've paid the cash, nothing stops me from getting that t-shirt. Doing Vegas 1/2 in December. Huge hurdle.
    Bon chance!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That sounds just like me in January - I could only do 6 of the runs and thought I was going to die :)
    Now I'm 40 pounds lighter and ran 10 km om Saturday - training for a 12k race in 8 weeks time.
    If I can do it, so can you!!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already, listen to really good music. Time your foot-falls to the music and think in your head that you're dancing.

I know the first time I did couch to 5k, 60 seconds seemed like forEVER! Until I imagined I was dancing instead. Just about all of us, no matter what our physical condition, can dance through one song. And that's at least three minutes. If we can dance that long, we can run that long.

I still use that trick in my head when I'm running. I think to myself, if I have one mile left, that's about three songs. I know I can dance through three songs before I need a break!
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    This is what the c25k is all about... take it at your own pace... if a walk for others is a run for you then do that... it is to get you to where you can run later... it will work I promise... just push yourself through it like you said you did.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your first day, sounds just like mine :) like i said before started may 1st heading into week 6 still going strong.

IT DOES GET EASIER YOU CAN DO THIS just go at your own pace, dont try to run like you have been doing it for years you ever see a seasoned (older) runner, that person proably has been running for years but do they run like a 20 yr old? no,they shuffle along and get the run done doing the best that they can and at a pace that is right for their bodies.

adjust your pace:go slower if it is telling you to run 3 min/make that 3 min work for you... how about walk 30 seconds, shuffle 30 seconds, walk another 30 seconds and on and on...rome was not built in a day.

for those of you who would like to try it here is the link and good luck.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I heard a great quote the other day: No matter how slowly you run, you're doing laps around the person still on the couch! So good for you for getting out there! Just move your body forward one step at a time - you will be amazed at what it can do given half a chance!! I am a slow runner and probably always will be, by "runner" standards, but I just don't care. I like how my body feels when I move it forward and I love the feeling of accomplishment from just getting out there and doing it!! Take a rest day tomorrow and then get out moving again on Wednesday. You already ARE a runner!!