Why does eating more calories = losing more weight?

Options
I registered to this site last week. It was recommended so I decided to give it a try. It took my profile and decided I needed to eat 1500 calories a day. Well doing that and I'm maintaining my present wt. 1200 a day and I lose. I know, I lost 40 pounds two years ago doing 1200 a day. Anything over it and I gain. So far, I lost 3 and now I'm maintaining my present wt....which isn't what the goal is. I have an additional 77 to go. So I changed the parameters this morning. 1200 cal a day which is enough for me. It also had me on 2800 mg.s of sodium. I won't do that at all. I'm no salt, no sugar....so this is going to be interesting for sure. I figure, if you don't put it in your mouth, it won't show up on the scale.

Replies

• chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have this issue aswell and ivw been on it for years lol. I have eat below a 1000 to see a loss or i gain it all back. No joke. Ive tried upping my calories like everyone keep saying on here and i gain back my 3lbs that i lose and regain...

Last 2 years i was living on salads for lile 6 months lunch and dinner. But this year i discovered joe wicks lean in 15.

I can keep myself below the 1000 calories by measuring out my food. And i only snack once a day. Its been working for me so far. This year i dont have the same goal insight to push myself for but i do half ou 30lbs left to lose.

Ive told myself now its gonna take as long as it take to shift it.

Dont get down about not losing anything this week it happens. Just keep pushing forward it will come off.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There's salt and sugar in almost every food naturally. The only way to avoid them entirely is to stop eating, which leads to weight gain eventually because there are ice cream and cheeseburgers on the way home after stressful days. Do you have a food scale? Whether you stick with 1200 or 1500, I'd spend some time being super-hyper about logging - weigh or measure every ingredient in what you make for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Calculate the calories in the recipes you make. If you eat something that doesn't have an exact match in the food database, don't automatically take the lowest number you see. The calories creep up. (For example, I've found that I rarely get a piece of fish or half a chicken breast that's exactly four ounces; it's generally closer to five. I have to account for that.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The eat more to weight less theory is simply loosing weight slower, adapting the body to lesser calories in lower capacity. It much more sustainable long term.

If one is not loosing weight at low calories as stated, and are logging not using a food scale to do so, one is not in a calorie deficit.

Best advice one can be given especially when trying to eat such low calories, buy the food scale! Using measuring cups, spoons and eyeballing as I already mentioned are recipes for keeping one out of their deficit.

The MFP app and a food scale are tools. Choose to use them together and you will loose weight.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yes i weigh my food. And i use jugs too. I enjoy my food... i just dont go over a 100 cause i never loose. I gain back if i do. So i can relate to this thread. Im sure there is more people out thete having same issue but tl affaid to ask or comment. I eat at a deflict so i lose. But lately ive been struggling to stay at my deflict. Which i know im eating more than i should be why ingain back.. om like a yoyo
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    As a male 1500 is the MINIMUM you should be eating. Hopefully you're eating more than you think.
  • rltorlai
    rltorlai Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, so far I'm down 7 pounds so far. The 1200 calories a day works. Not doing salt of sugar, or anything that is white. Eating a ton of fresh veggies as I am growing them so it makes it easy to just eat them. I'm kayaking now and riding my bike when I can, in between long hours at the organ and on the road working part time. My motto here: If it doesn't go in my mouth, it doesn't go on my waist.