Difference in macros into calories

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The calories and macros are independent values on nutritional info labels. Calories aren't calculated from macros and are rounded to the nearest 5 or 10. Macros are rounded to the nearest whole number.

In addition, manufacturers have the choice to include all, half, or none of the calories from fiber depending upon the type of fiber. That can throw off the calories.

It's all estimates anyway. Getting within 145 calories on a day where you ate 3188 calories is pretty much on the nose.

That's a great point that I didn't think of. 145 cals would be big for me eating 1500 cals, but yeah, for over 3000 it's not that big of a deal!
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The calories and macros are independent values on nutritional info labels. Calories aren't calculated from macros and are rounded to the nearest 5 or 10. Macros are rounded to the nearest whole number.

In addition, manufacturers have the choice to include all, half, or none of the calories from fiber depending upon the type of fiber. That can throw off the calories.

It's all estimates anyway. Getting within 145 calories on a day where you ate 3188 calories is pretty much on the nose.

Should I just try and hit macros then and just casually take noteof the calories whether I'm in the ballpark or not?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Should I just try and hit macros then and just casually take noteof the calories whether I'm in the ballpark or not?
    Don't overthink it. Do what makes you comfortable. As was said above:
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories for weight loss.
    Macros for satiety, fitness, and health.
    Calories are also for weight gain, since you are bulking.

If you like watching the macros, watch the macros. If you'd rather just watch the calories, watch the calories and make sure you are getting at least enough protein and fat.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Don't overthink it. Do what makes you comfortable. As was said above:
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories for weight loss.
    Macros for satiety, fitness, and health.
    Calories are also for weight gain, since you are bulking.

If you like watching the macros, watch the macros. If you'd rather just watch the calories, watch the calories and make sure you are getting at least enough protein and fat.

Thanks it's just really annoying I mean I'm already trying to be more accurate by tracking in the first place but then even that is inaccurate!
  • AkersT79
    AkersT79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The 4-4-9 rule for macros to calories is actually just a estimate, it's a general range or guideline. The only way to accurately assess the caloric value of an item is to analyze it, since most of us everyday people do not have the means to do so the 4-4-9 rule was created. Additionally, food labels are just an estimate as well. Some food companies test their product for nutrient content, some use the USDA database others use their vendor provided data or any combination these methods. Each new ingredient added to the item compounds rounding error and variations making the data slightly skewed. My point being that the label is a general guideline and if you meet your goal on paper daily know that overtime the variations all average out. One day you may be off on calories but ok on macros and the next may be reverse but overall the average should be on point.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    AkersT79 wrote: »
    The 4-4-9 rule for macros to calories is actually just a estimate, it's a general range or guideline. The only way to accurately assess the caloric value of an item is to analyze it, since most of us everyday people do not have the means to do so the 4-4-9 rule was created. Additionally, food labels are just an estimate as well. Some food companies test their product for nutrient content, some use the USDA database others use their vendor provided data or any combination these methods. Each new ingredient added to the item compounds rounding error and variations making the data slightly skewed. My point being that the label is a general guideline and if you meet your goal on paper daily know that overtime the variations all average out. One day you may be off on calories but ok on macros and the next may be reverse but overall the average should be on point.

Thanks mate yeah I just it wantit to be accurate that's all as it's my character that's all