Women strength training and results?

Options
Hi! Men can chime in too but since men and women's bodies are hormonally different figured I'd ask the girls specifically.

Really wondering how long it took you ladies to see results from strength training? I'm going on 3 weeks and my body looks exactly the same. I'm within a healthy bmi but still have some belly fat I'd like gone. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Hoping it'll still disappear though. An example of my schedule looks like this: 3x a week
Warmup
Plank 3x 1 min
Squat thrust 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights
Deadlifts 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
Bench press 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
Alternate curls 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights

I try to up my weight when i feel it getting too easy. Also, I haven't been sore since the first week. Is that normal? I'd love to have some feedback!

Accidently posted this in food and nutrition.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I saw muscle development after about 3 months of heavy lifting 3x/week.
    But what are your goals exactly? If you want your belly fat gone, that is almost entirely up to your diet, and not your strength training routine.
    Also, I'm not trying to be judgey, but your routine is strange... where did you get it? Your deadlift looks VERY light compared to your other lifts. And I didn't think you even used weights for squat thrusts? Regardless, you would be better off following a beginner's progressive lifting program (Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, etc).
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started lifting weights together. He made up our program after 'doing a ton of research' lol. I've Told him i think its bizarre too but he is convinced its right. Hes also the reason for this post because i already see a change in his body. Not a huge change but its noticeable to me. Probably could go a little heavier on my deadlifts. My legs are stronger than my arms but my arms are still incredibly weak. I sometimes have muscle failure on my arm/shoulder workouts.
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    My goals are to be stronger and look good lol.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody above. It took me three months to see the changes, but it took about 2 years to really transform my body (and it's still a work in progress). Your weights definitely need to be heavier if building muscle is your goal and tracking macros is key (again, depending on what your goals are). I knew nothing about weight lifting two years ago, but did tons of research too. The best workout/nutrition advice I found was in the book Thinner Leaner Stronger - it's geared towards women.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's a long-term commitment, but it's worth it! I thought I had some really nice definition at about 6 months to a year...
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I did all 3 months of T25 and didn't SEE any big muscle development, and Gamma, the 3rd month, is all weights. I felt stronger and leaner, but I didn't have the tone that I think you're asking about. And, it's because I wasn't lifting heavy enough. It wasn't until I did the Chalene Extreme (CLX) program that I really start to see muscle definition. After all 3 months of CLX I have definition in my arms (finally!) and in my back and obliques. You've got to lift HEAVY to get definition and to build the muscle. I recommend CLX or StrongLifts5x5. What you're doing now is great!!! But, these programs were designed to do what you're looking for. And, the programs are progressive so you won't (shouldn't) injure yourself if you're using proper form. Keep it up! Good luck to you!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say it takes years. I'm at 18 months of heavy lifting and I'm finally happy with the look of my legs. My upper body has a bit more to go. The tummy is not going to go away in the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I did bodyweight strength training for 3.5 months before starting to lift weights. I was losing weight that whole time. By the time I was lifting weights I was just about 10 pounds heavier than I am now, so 4 pounds above a healthy BMI. I started seeing visible results (improved body shape) within 6-8 weeks of lifting weights.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Look at the above link - This is what happens when women get into strength training (doing compound movements like Squat, Bench, Deadlift, etc. at gradually increasing weights). Women lack testosterone to build muscles the way men do (approximately 3x slower) and usually doing weights with a proper diet (i.e. low enough body fat) will get them the results they desire.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look into doing something like:

Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

Your routine looks very strange to me.

Agreed - Use a tried and tested beginner's lifting program. These are made by those who have trained 100s if not 1000s of novices. They can build a program better than you or I can. Trust it and stay consistent.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Depends on how low your BF is. I was only 10lbs or so from where I wanted to be (~22%BF) when I started. I started seeing results around 8 weeks. Good results by 12-14 weeks.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used Stronglifts 5X5 as a beginner lifter when I hit maintenance. It took about 6 months to see some definition in my muscles. Not crazy definition, but some nice visable muscles; especially when I lift.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts 5x5: which is day #1, squats, overhead press, deadlifts, #2 squats, bench press, barbell row. No day #3 for me. Lately, I've been cutting down to 4 sets, so I can lift heavier.

Anyhow, I'm an older woman, so I just do it twice a week, for an hour. After six months, I feel I have a completely different body. Like I lost 15 years. I had to take in all of my pants, my shoulders are defined and I have a waist again. Two days a week seems to be enough for me, but I work really, really hard on those days. Lifting heavier and heavier is what has made the difference. However, it's important to focus on form with heavy weights, and listen to your body to prevent injuries. I watched a lot of youtube videos about form.
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started seeing changes about halfway through this program: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
    I definitely see changes with this program and I'm on week 6: http://www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/

My stats are: 5'0"; 120 lbs; 28 years old; large frame; pear/hourglass shape

Hope this helps!
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I agree and will look into a program. How do you know how much body fat you have? I definitely am going to stick with this. I look forward to my lifting days. It'll be awesome when I can see results but its also awesome to feel myself getting stronger.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Look into doing something like:

Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

Your routine looks very strange to me.

This!