Clean Eating

Options
Morleyny1
Morleyny1 Posts: 2 Member
Hi Everyone,
Just thought I find out if any of you are Clean Eaters and if you have any good tips and products you like to use.

Good Luck !!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how are you defining clean eating?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Clean eating makes me feel bad because of all the dirty foods I eat. Hangs head in shame :(
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 100% clean but I eat pretty clean. My greatest tool is our farm. It's easy to keep your diet fairly clean when you grow, raise or hunt a decent portion of your food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how are you defining clean eating?

This.

I dislike the term so won't use it, but I eat mostly whole foods cooked from scratch and during the season mostly cook from my CSA, supplemented by the green market. I also get meat from a local farm (fish is not so available here, so I tend to buy it from a fish market or sometimes the grocery store).

That said, I'll eat out at numerous different local restaurants, and I certainly don't avoid processed foods like canned tomatoes (out of season, when "fresh" tomatoes are tasteless), dried pasta and beans, steel cut oats, cottage cheese, imported and artisan cheeses, and smoked salmon, to name some. I also will indulge in homebaked sweets (not so often, but if a friend brings them to a get-together) or ice cream (more often) or high quality chocolate. I'm sure I make other exceptions.

I'm much more focused on cooking most of my meals, eating an overall nutritious diet, and getting a good amount of protein and vegetables at most meals than what I don't eat, although my natural inclinations mean that I don't eat a lot of "junk food" of the packaged, store-bought type.

None of this prevented me from gaining weight, so it wasn't my focus in losing weight--I didn't think that I could just "eat clean" and lose, but that's because it wouldn't have meant much of a change for me, so I knew I could easily keep eating too many calories while doing it.
  • Morleyny1
    Morleyny1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hahah Queenliz99, I used to laugh and say it was what I ate after I showered !!
    I suppose I mean what is eating whole real foods, cut out all low fat and sugar free foods, anything processed.
    I gave up Diet Coke, that was a killer, got the worst headaches, I also really cut down on sugar and felt so bad for about 2 weeks.... Im going to try 90% clean so I can have a few glasses of wine.

Thanks for the replies !!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @Morleyny1
    There are as many Clean Eating definitions as people using Clean Eating
    I like this thread by @diannethegeek
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Morleyny1 wrote: »
    Hahah Queenliz99, I used to laugh and say it was what I ate after I showered !!
    I suppose I mean what is eating whole real foods, cut out all low fat and sugar free foods, anything processed.
    I gave up Diet Coke, that was a killer, got the worst headaches, I also really cut down on sugar and felt so bad for about 2 weeks.... Im going to try 90% clean so I can have a few glasses of wine.

Thanks for the replies !!
    Eating more "nutrient dense" foods is fine, but if you're just doing it just for weight loss, calories in/out is the most determining factor regardless if you eat "clean" or not.

I eat whole foods 80% of the time and the other 20% is anything I want (even candy, ice cream, diet Pepsi) as long as it fits in my calorie goals. Been doing it this way since my early 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I eat mainly clean, apart from the health benefits you simply get to eat more - 1200 calories of donuts isn't much to eat, but 1200 calories of rice/veges/fish is a good feed!
    I'm not a cook and love the convenience of prepackaged foods (Uncle Bens rice for example) frozen veges are great and the supermarkets more and more provide ready cut veges (I know I'm totally lazy!!). Grilled meat or fish. I like to precook a batch of food like a few chicken breasts or sweet potato so I have food on hand to put together a healthy meal in minutes with the help of a microwave.
    And the good old standby eggs, which personally I could quite happily live of (and I luckily live in a village which provides raw milk and the best free range eggs I have ever tasted)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is no eating in restaurants and no eating anything from a box
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    if you put vegetables in a box then take them out do they become dirty?
  • seekingdaintiness
    Options
    what about a vegan organic restaurant
  • seekingdaintiness
    Options
    what about a sushi restaurant
  • seekingdaintiness
    Options
    I love these fear of modernity and science threads, they are the best.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    fionarama wrote: »
    I eat mainly clean, apart from the health benefits you simply get to eat more - 1200 calories of donuts isn't much to eat, but 1200 calories of rice/veges/fish is a good feed!
    I'm not a cook and love the convenience of prepackaged foods (Uncle Bens rice for example) frozen veges are great and the supermarkets more and more provide ready cut veges (I know I'm totally lazy!!). Grilled meat or fish. I like to precook a batch of food like a few chicken breasts or sweet potato so I have food on hand to put together a healthy meal in minutes with the help of a microwave.
    And the good old standby eggs, which personally I could quite happily live of (and I luckily live in a village which provides raw milk and the best free range eggs I have ever tasted)

What about 1200 cals of rice, fish and vegetables and on a 1400 cal diet then also including a doughnut on occasion? I don't know anyone really that thinks eating 1200 cals of doughnuts is a good idea or builds their diet around nothing but doughnuts...

Your other comments are interesting because I too rely on some of the convenience foods like ready rice, frozen vegetables (even those skillet meals on occasion, storebought marinades for pork and chicken, as well as other processed foods. I think most people would consider that to be not clean eating, if it is something that came in a package.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP for what it's worth I don't identify as a clean eater. I eat a variety of foods, I try to cook at home but as a busy working mom I rely on those convenience foods mentioned above. I focused more on adding things to my lifestyle than labeling things as good/bad and cutting things out. More cooking at home, more protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. By doing that I found it was easy for me to eat a balanced diet that includes things like Diet Coke, wine, pizza, and Oreos in moderation... I achieved my weight loss goals and am now maintaining and am healthier and feel better than ever... Without arbitrarily cutting out foods I deemed unclean.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Clean eating to me is no eating in restaurants and no eating anything from a box
    so no rice, pasta, etc? Why would a high end restaurant not be considered clean?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    fionarama wrote: »

why is it always a false choice between 1200 calories of donuts and 1200 calories of fish and vegetables....what if I have one donut for breakfast and fish and vegetables for dinner??????????????????
  • calleefrances
    calleefrances Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Helllo Everyone! I am just on day 2 with this app, awaiting the arrival of my fitbit zip! I have used calorie counters before... and I noticed that my calorie intake is significantly lower on this app... just wondering if any of you have gone through this? I know under eating is bad for losing weight too and I don't want to mess that up. Also, it seems to allow more sodium than the rec. healthy daily intake... not sure how to take that either! Other than that, I love this app! I have to walk down the aisle in a year, I want to look toned and healthy - any and all friends are welcome - I enjoy the support and supporting others helps me as well!
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    what about a sushi restaurant

Sushi is basically junk food.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Helllo Everyone! I am just on day 2 with this app, awaiting the arrival of my fitbit zip! I have used calorie counters before... and I noticed that my calorie intake is significantly lower on this app... just wondering if any of you have gone through this? I know under eating is bad for losing weight too and I don't want to mess that up. Also, it seems to allow more sodium than the rec. healthy daily intake... not sure how to take that either! Other than that, I love this app! I have to walk down the aisle in a year, I want to look toned and healthy - any and all friends are welcome - I enjoy the support and supporting others helps me as well!

Think you meant to post this as a new thread? If not, you should.