Wepz
Wepz Posts: 39 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Who's a fan of the Gluten-Free diet?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac. I am a fan of feeling healthy.

I think a lot of people would be better off without gluten, and the foods that tend to have gluten, but many can handle it fine.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Not a fan
  • buntzums
    buntzums Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recently started "gluten free." I wish everyone would go gluten free - that way the producers of gluten free products would charge less. I don't know what effects it has if you don't happen to have a sensitivity of some kind too the protein. I don't even know what it's doing for me but inflammation in the gut seems lower. Also less skin problems so far. That's about it. Losing weight yes. Doing gluten free thing since the 17th of last month.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would if I had to for health reasons (celiac, allergies), otherwise no.
  • mellyrunsfar
    mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to gluten also :( Life would be a lot simpler without having to worry about it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    buntzums wrote: »
    I recently started "gluten free." I wish everyone would go gluten free - that way the producers of gluten free products would charge less.

Yeah, that's not how it works, at all.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There are people who are required to be on a gluten free diet for medical reasons.
    There is no reason for anyone else to cut out such a huge range of foodstuffs.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Medical reasons here. Rashes, lethargy and diarrhea interfere with my life. Not a "fan" of giving up pizza.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gluten intolerant. Have to eat gluten free or I get sick. Definately not a fan of this restriction as glutenated foods taste delicious. :p
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    buntzums wrote: »
    I recently started "gluten free." I wish everyone would go gluten free - that way the producers of gluten free products would charge less. I don't know what effects it has if you don't happen to have a sensitivity of some kind too the protein. I don't even know what it's doing for me but inflammation in the gut seems lower. Also less skin problems so far. That's about it. Losing weight yes. Doing gluten free thing since the 17th of last month.

You have piqued my curiosity. Why have you recently gone "gluten free" when you don't know what the effects thereof are?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is a fan, even if not eating it makes them feel better.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended I go Gluten and Dairy free and basically stick to whole foods because of autoimmune conditions and possible Lyme disease.
    It has not been easy to adjust and the restrictions have lead me to binge eating and gaining some weight as a result. So no, not a fan.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Gluten free replacements are expensive and basically taste like I assume sadness would.....id much rather have gluten
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 3 weeks now and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that I no longer have brain fog or discomfort/nausea after eating. I hate that going out to a restaurant, even if they say they have GF options, makes me anxious. I have lost weight but that's because I've made such a drastic change to my diet. I no longer eat fast food, I eat WAY more vegetables, I rarely have sweets because my weakness is ice cream but I've also learned that dairy seems to make me sick as well (although I have started trying some GF flour less muffins). As a result of omitting gluten I can recognize my hunger cues better so I'm eating smaller portions. I wouldn't tell anyone to go GF unless they needed to because when shopping you have to check every thing and although I don't really buy alternatives most generic brands are NOT GF so it gets expensive.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Celiac for 3 years now. Love hate it for me. I miss 'real' pizza. And chicken fingers. Etc. But I have opened my mind to a wider variety of healthier options (meats, fruits, veg, etc)

I agree that if you don't NEED to be gluten free - DON'T.

That being said, society is so carb heavy now and we as a population could cut down on the "gluten" carbs. Think - massive burger buns, think crust pizza, breaded this and that, cookies, crackers, etc.

Lettuce wrapping your burger so you can enjoy the fries.. you know.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not a fan of that buzzword. I feel better eating real food. That just so happens to not have any gluten in it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    [quote="buntzums;37092020"]I recently started "gluten free." I wish everyone would go gluten free - that way the producers of gluten free products would charge less. I don't know what effects it has if you don't happen to have a sensitivity of some kind too the protein. I don't even know what it's doing for me but inflammation in the gut seems lower. Also less skin problems so far. That's about it. Losing weight yes. Doing gluten free thing since the 17th of last month.[/quote]

Actually, it is the "trendiness" of going gluten free that has driven the price point up. People who have gluten intolerence/allergy that have to eat gluten free are likely wishing that less people were jumping on the bandwagon because it is causing manufacturers to think they can charge a premium price for something...