Pokemon - anyone else catching them?

Options

Replies

• JenNoel
    JenNoel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm way more into it than my kids and I've seen more adults out playing it. I couldn't have told you anything about Pokémon before last Saturday. But last night walking around the city and the park and meeting people, it was so much fun. I even ran into an Olympian who will be competing next month. It's not replacing any of my exercise by any means, but it's a great way for me to get in additional steps each day. I'm sure it will be a short-lived fad for the majority of people but it's a fun summertime activity.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    pretty sad that people need an app to get out and walk around more....

We live in a sad world when people can't just live and let live.

you are bitter because I am right...

one more reason for people to have their faces buried in smart phones and not interact with other humans...
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nah, I go out walking every day, I don't need a Pokemon app to get me to go out. Once my music's playing and I'm in the zone, I don't want to be stopping & starting all the time looking at my phone tracking Pokemon.
  • ndj1979
    Options

one more reason for people to have their faces buried in smart phones and not interact with other humans...

*shrug* I don't have a horse in this race. People have their faces buried in their phones for MFP so how is this any different?

I use a computer to access MFP ...so not sure how you made the leap that everyone access MFP through a smart phone...

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

*shrug* I don't have a horse in this race. People have their faces buried in their phones for MFP so how is this any different?

I use a computer to access MFP ...so not sure how you made the leap that everyone access MFP through a smart phone...

I never said everyone. I said people.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Or that's just your ignorant opinion.

I just went for a quick mile walk with a group of friends, we were all talking and laughing while catching Pokemon and stopping at the Pokestops. We were talking business the entire walk. Don't inflict your ancient outdated views on everyone else just because you can't hold a conversation while holding a phone.

so you are saying that people don't walk around oblivious to everything else but their smart phones...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why not just geocache? Same thing - a reward at the end - only without the security issues or risk of someone creating lures to mug (or worse) people?

Already happening

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/07/10/four-suspects-arrested-string-pokemon-go-related-armed-robberies/86922474/

From the article:

"Traveling across the land, searching far and wide hasn’t exactly worked out for all Pokémon Go users. After luring victims to their location with the new "augmented reality" app, four suspects have been arrested as police in O’Fallon, Mo., responded to a report of an armed robbery early Sunday"

Perhaps one way to thin the herd.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting for the game ever since it was announced a few months ago. We don't have it yet, but I downloaded it from Aptoide. Can't wait until I'm able to walk again to play!
  • ndj1979
    Options

isolation.png

disagree ...but hey, that is my .02.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I just went for a quick mile walk with a group of friends, we were all talking and laughing while catching Pokemon and stopping at the Pokestops. We were talking business the entire walk. Don't inflict your ancient outdated views on everyone else just because you can't hold a conversation while holding a phone.

Well the responses certainly have gotten nasty quickly... What's up with that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well the responses certainly have gotten nasty quickly... What's up with that.

I guess I struck a nerve; aka, too close to home...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you out and moving is okay with me.
    I've been going 5+ km every time I went out for pokemon.
    Only thing that's sad is that there only seem to be a lot of pokemon in metropolitan areas. I've got this really nice mountain close to my home where hiking through is really nice but there's barely any pokemon there. But at least a single gym up there no one seems to know exists so that's all mine.

Would not shock me if businesses are paying to have pokemon in or near their location. Not much commerce on a mountain side, lot more at the mall.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My kids just came and asked if they could download this today. Looks like fun. We found a few in our neighborhood. We are going to go to our local park this afternoon and see if we can find more. They have a lot of walking trails so it ought to be fun to see what we can find. :smile: