5:2 Diet

Options
Is anyone familiar with 5:2 Diet? I know a lot of people, who lost a lot of weight on it. I started it 3 weeks ago and it worked me, even without exercising I lost 5lb in 3 weeks.

Replies

• catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to try it soon.

Here's a group for all kinds of intermittent fasting, including 5:2: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use IF for hunger management. It works for me. It won't work for everyone though. It makes my sister hungrier and she eats everything in sight.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I use 16:8 right now. I want to work my way to 5:2 actually. Any tips?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the past and enjoyed it (and saw good results) but I now use a modification of 16:8 - the 14:10 (it just fits my lifestyle a little better). I prefer this because it means I eat a decent amount with big meals every day. I sometimes (weekends when we have a special meal or party) move to an 18 hour fast with eating only for that evening meal. Whatever works.

My only word of warning with any fasting protocol is that you should continue to calorie count to ensure that you are neither eating too much or too little.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    What is it?

You eat normally (maintenance level) for 5 days a week and eat a significant reduction in calories 2 days a week. The reduced calorie days (fast days) have you eating a total of 500 - 600 calories. The fast days are non-consecutive so something like Monday and Thursday are fast days and the other days are maintenance.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started it this week. Monday was a fast day for me. Super easy. Ate breakfast at 400 cals and then was busy out the rest of the day. I treated myself to a Starbucks iced tea for another 100 calories at the end of the night for making it through. Then ate at maintenance yesterday (actually just below as I was satisfied with what I was eating and didn't feel the need for the extra 150-200 cals).

I'm looking forward to the feeling of not needing to restrict every day.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    rg48772 wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with 5:2 Diet? I know a lot of people, who lost a lot of weight on it. I started it 3 weeks ago and it worked me, even without exercising I lost 5lb in 3 weeks.

Oh, people! If I may interject! Please don't skip exercising! I lost all my weight without exercising, and I am really paying for it now! You will likely get weak as I am! I didn't sit around and do nothing to get like this -- I kept house and worked at the office, and I've wasted two years being horribly weak. Your muscles and your bone structure NEED exercise!!!
  • rg48772
    rg48772 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 70 years old, with a very bad back problem, I am not skipping exercising. I am just limited of what I can physically do. Besides, I want to see if this diet works even with no exercising. In a couple of weeks, I will do water aerobics in my pool. For those who ,who want to check this diet out, here is the link:
    http://the5-2dietbook.com/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found it really effective and far easier for me than everyday restriction.
    Search the groups and you will find two 5:2 groups on here, well worth joining for tips and recipes etc....
  • idkimfathelp
    idkimfathelp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but maybe I will in the future. Good luck! I hope it works out splendidly for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have found 5:2 to be a pretty easy protocol for me to follow. I ate 700-750 on my lower days. I would usually eat coffee with milk, 2 boiled eggs, strawberries, and raw veggies for breakfast. At supper I ate grilled meat and more strawberries and veggies. (I don't think that the strawberries are magical or anything, I just like that I can eat a large amount of them for few calories.) I drank a lot of water during the day and tried to arrange my schedule to have more meetings on the low calorie days, just so I'd stay busy and not be tempted to boredom eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I found it really effective and far easier for me than everyday restriction.
    Search the groups and you will find two 5:2 groups on here, well worth joining for tips and recipes etc....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have used this type of IF at times. The 600 calorie restriction was difficult for me at first. But as I learned how much food I could really eat it became easier. Plus since I use a 14/10 daily IF anyways, I never really start getting hungry anymore until later in the day.